Possibly joining the military..

Discussion in 'General' started by Jakobo, Apr 28, 2011.

1. I was in the Army for 1 year, and got out with a honorable discharge. Imo the military is only good if your at least an E-5 with family, because youll get a free or really cheap house, free health care, and theres lots of nice family programs on base. Lots of good times in the army, army partys are waay more fun then college partys haha

2. On the aircraft carrier I was stationed on every morning everybody cleans for one hour, nothing else besides cleaning for all the enlisted. I believe all the carriers do it. Every morning for four and a half years. Slimy bilges dirty ass fan rooms. Or 90% of the time just pretending enough to not get yelled at. Shits so dumb, read catch 22 that's pretty much the way the military runs. As long as you are enlisted you will be treated like a child, curfews, getting in trouble if you get drunk, if you cheat on your wife you get in trouble, DUI you get fucked by the courts and the military. Not that all this shit has happened to me I've just seen so much ridiculous shit while I was in.

3. And while all the young men are on the aircraft carrier wiping the decks somewhere in the middle of the ocean, and the others are digging dirt in some military camp, deep in the desert of Aghkanistan, back home, the government is...

4. hahaha GGrass i love the way you think dude:smoke:

5. In my unit we had a E-5 get demoted to E-4 because he sent pictures of his dick to a private. And we had a E-4 get demoted because he cheated on his wife.

6. Ya man my thoughts exactly, the free school is nice, if your in it for the benefits look for the job with the best home bases, sound the easiest, and are the least likely to get you killed. Although I was a nuclear mechanic, and I have friends who got out and are making 150k a year at power plants. But it's a long 6 year commitment.

7. Basically everyone senior to you is constantly out to snitch on you to get you in trouble, senior people in the military get hard on that shit. It's worse than slavery.

8. i thought air force was only a four year commitment? or were you talking about the Nuclear program?

9. It's hard to find a job, so everyone is joining the army.

And what does the government do with the army?

Make wars in other parts of the world...

10. If you do,you will go to hell.

Do you really want that?

I mean if you kill anyone.Might as well do it on the street and get free cars and money.Sounds kinda fun minus the killing part.

11. #51 Thizface, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I was just making a reference to how military schooling can get you jobs in the real world.

12. Diffrent MOS's have diffrent commitments. I was going to go EOD but it was a 8 year deal with a 80k bonus. Kinda wish i did that, but i'd be missing an arm when i got out.

13. Dont listen to anyone here who tells you not to join, i've made a decision to join the Air Force and i've researched a lot about it plus a few of my friends are already in. Quite frankly what i can say is that it's not for everyone only the tough can make it (for ANY branch), if you don't consider yourself tough enough then you'll be wasting their time and your time as well. A career in the Air Force could mean a lot more than just "something for financial stability", it means building stepping stones for your future, it means learning new skills and becoming a whole new person, making all your loved ones proud and earning a higher sense of respect. Also, keep in mind that joining the military doesnt just mean becoming a killer like people here tend to say, im going in as an Air Traffic Controller and it's something that is very interesting plus it transfers over to the civilian world after your contract is up and you can be working at airports for $120,000+++ a year... there's a lot of routes you can take so dont let anyone discourage you.

If you aren't happy with the thought of joining then please don't join, this isn't something that people can talk you into it, not even your parents or any family member, if you dont feel it in your heart then you will be a very unhappy person in the long run, although theres always the possibility of you learning what it's all about and seeing the positive in it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

14. #54 Thizface, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
    Besides the fact that air traffic controllers have an extremely high suicide rate. I also enjoy how somebody who hasn't been in yet is saying ignore what the people who have been in have to say. No amount of research can give you the lens of actually serving. Telling somebody to ignore advise from that was given by somebody more knowledgeable than yourself is ignorant. Go on a deployment and then come talk to me.

15. #55 Thizface, Apr 28, 2011
    Guess I should quote was I was referring to.

16. Did I say "ONLY LISTEN TO ME AND NOT ANYONE ELSE"? no i didnt so yeah your post is completely irrelevant.. I'm just saying that most of the people posting here aren't qualified to make that decision for the OP, and neither am I, but I am telling him to weigh the options and make his decision based on researching and talking to those who are already in.

Oh and about the suicide rates, I know a lot of people who are serving for the Air Force and the Marines that regardless of "suicide rates" they have been succesful in their military career and have no suicidal thoughts at all.. and I could tell you right now that I dont give a shit about suicide rates, being infantry has huge suicide rates, being EOD has huge suicide rates, hell even being Intel has crazy suicide rates.. If it's stats you're looking at then we can go all day brother but let me tell you that those out there who are strong minded and are motivated and determined are the ones that are pretty great fuckin controllers and have moved on to work for agencies like the FAA and the DOD making 180k+ a year..

true story.

17. Okay so your post starts by saying "don't listen to people who tell you not to join"?

18. Yeah I said that but my point is that I never said to only listen to me. The point I was trying to make in regards to what you said was that he shouldn't listen to anyone (including myself) because this is a big decision and he has to get all the facts down. Plus never did I say anything negative or try to start shit or insult anybody so check your emotions there buddy cuz the only one who apparently got hurt for no reason was you.

19. USAF ret.

There are a lot of training and educational opportunities in the USAF. Like any company, you pretty much start at the bottom. Yet you will have opportunities to excell and come into your own. The higher ranking do not run around looking for someone to rat out. They do expect you to meet your responsibilities and to honor your word.

Had anyone told me (up to the 3 1/2 year mark) that I would re-enlist, let alone become a lifer, I would have called them crazy. After 24 years (ret. in 99) I really don't mind my roughly $30K in yearly retiree pay.
    I turned down a $100K a year job after initially retiring, in order to spend more time with family. My baby brother (RIP) was a 20 year Navy retiree (Nuclear Electronics) and worked on deep water drilling ships with a pay of over $125K a year. While you are in there will be times of long hard days and times of boredom. There will also be a bunch of challenges and events that will endear you to your fellow servicemembers. :smoke:

20. #60 Thizface, Apr 29, 2011
    Whatever the point I'm trying to make is instead of saying listen to nobody, why not just say listen to everyone who has input and then weigh the pros or cons to help make an educated decision.