Possible to Live on Minimum Wage?

Discussion in 'General' started by terister, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hey guys. I'm currently in college and hating it. I love learning and don't mind working hard to get what I want, but this just isn't cutting it for me.

SO, what I'd like to do is take next year off (at least) and move/hitchhike to another state. Then get a job, get an apartment, and just learn on my own.

I rarely eat out, I don't plan on having a car, cell phone, cable, or internet.

Does anyone live like this? I'd like to smoke pot with some of the extra money as well.

Let me know what you guys think about this or any advice.

Thanks!

2. Yeah dude. I've done math taking as much into consideration as I can think of, and while it doesn't leave much to spare, even 30 hours a week is possible.

3. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you currently live like this, or are you just keeping your options open?

4. Its possible if you are single and plan on being single for the rest of your live.

And as long as you never have an unforseen accident that costs more than you can afford, like if you heater breaks in the winter or you get a ticket or something.

You wont be able to support a girlfriend, or take her out to dinner.

And make sure you dont ever get sick. If you have to take a week off you are fucked. If you ever break your arm or leg you are fucked, because that will cost money and minimum wage jobs dont come with health care packages.

5. Not a bad point. I don't plan on supporting a family or anything though.
    Good to think about. Thanks.

6. Don't see it happening unless you have a roommate.

7. you sound like someone who just wants to smoke pot. i think once you lose your internet and tv and phone and decent place to sleep and decent food to eat you will change your mind... but yea you can deff drop out and find a decent job and live a decent life. you can go work on oil rigs and make 50000 a year when your 18. or go to jobcorp and get feeed and a place to sleep while they train a skill for you. college isnt necessary but if you want to provide a nice life for yourself wife and children college is very helpful in securing a nice paying job

8. I don't _just_ want to smoke pot, but I do enjoy doing it. I mostly want to work for what I have and live my own life. But internet, tv, cell phone, junk food, nice house aren't necessary for me. I'd prefer a small apartment with a good book and some red beans and rice. Oil rigs sound like an interesting option. And I most likely won't ever get married and definitely don't want children.

Thanks very much for your input.

9. This is a good idea. I may do just this, but I'm not sure yet.

10. #10 newbgrow, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
    No, I make 10 bucks an hour, work about 43 hours a week. My place is 1,015 a month, car is 100 a month, cable/internet 140 a month, utilities 90 a month, cell 120 a month, college loans 130 a month, food (god only knows) maybe 300 a month, alcohol/cigs/general "fun" stuff 300 a month, gas to get to work 200 a month, not to mention any unexpected or uncounted for expenses.

Trust me, I have a decent setting, but nothing amazing and live like a college student. Add it up if you want. Make mathematical sense? No way, I can cover MAYBE 2/3rds of it. I got a girlfriend who helps loads, but I'm going nowhere fast.

Talking about min wage? Forget it. You would live in the ghetto with no car, 13 channels, ramin noddles, and work your ass off. This is unless you could deal with 3-4 roommates in a cramped space.

I'm not saying you need college to be happy, but minimum wage is a hard life to swing. Even at above min wage, it's a lot of work.

I don't want to sound like some old fart looking back at young kids (as I don't even qualify in age), but I never knew just how much money it took to live a decent life. Think very carefully about all the little things and what they cost.

11. people live homeless. I'm sure you will stay alive

12. Yea... I was about to say the same thing. I'm in a good position in life now, but I had some rough parts in my past where i was scraping by from paycheck to paycheck.

At minimum wage, it's possible to live. but it's going to be hard. Depends on the price of housing in the area you are going to live at. Even when some one is making 13-14 dollars an hour it's still hard for them to survive and pay their bills in lots of places.
    You'll need to be able to make a budget and stick to it, you'll need to learn how to eat dirt cheap, buy/get hand me down clothes, maybe go to food pantries, places like that to get extra food and supplies.

13. I understand where you're coming from. However, I'm very, very low maintenance. Not saying anything is wrong with liking to spend more than just a tiny bit of money, but that's what I plan to do. Thanks very much for the advice though. I'm definitely keeping my options open.

Agreed. This is part of why I want to do it.

14. I agree, and I have no problem living like that. I think one of the reasons people that make 13-14 an hour have so much trouble is because they think they need a lot more than they do (name brand clothes/food, big house, fancy car, etc.)

I do agree that it will be hard, but I just wanted to see if it would be possible.

Thanks for the reply!

15. That's a very good point. It is very dependent on where you live.

Thank you for being polite. I'm not trying to bash on your ideas. From my experience there is just always unexpected things popping up. Whatever you choose, I wish you well.

16. dont leave out internet. it is a beautiful tool for expanding and furthering ones development intellectually.

also it's pretty awesome to use with your hobbies :) just please never give up on computers and stuff like that. it's great. fuck tv fuck all that crap but the internet is still useful.

17. some people yes.. but once again it kinda depends on the area. in some areas for 13-14 bucks an hour you can live pretty comfortable.

but take chicago for instance. In many neighborhoods, not even the rich neighborhoods, a studio apartment will run you 800-900 bucks. Not including utilities. If you do the math, even for a studio apartment it would be cutting it close in certain cities.

18. Not a problem, man. I posted here to hear different people's opinions and stories about whether or not this would work, not to hear people tell me I'll be fine and live like a god. I hope things look up for you and thanks for the good wishes.

19. I'm doing decent on 8.30$ 32 hours a week.. The only thing I don't pay for is my phone bill, and health insurance. I dont hold back on my spending either. I regularly buy a case of beer and an 8th. Ive got about 2 grand saved up, and Ive had a few financial set backs lately..You just have to know how to spend your money, dont foolishly spend it..

It depends if you want to have a nice house, car, and family. Currently I only have to provide for myself, and live with 3 roomates... If you really try, you can easily live off minimum wage. Bike to work, have a garden, eat rice, drink water, etc. You can buy like a year supply of rice for like 30 bucks

20. maybe he'll get lucky and have a stupid neighbor who he can steal wi-fi from :)