Possible soil contamination

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Malikswann20, Dec 15, 2022.

1. So the last 2 months all my seedlings growth has been stunted so today I was getting my pots filled with soil cause I got some mephisto seeds going and notice that the bag of ffof looked and smelled a lil off if was lighter in color and wet and moldly now the first 2 bags I open appeared to be ok but could this be the reason for stunted growth it was the Cannarado Genetics 4 seedlings ethos 4 seedlings lit seeds 5 seedlings I got one freebie seed still going ill check her later I'm thinking maybe that pallet I grabbed from my be tainted does soil have a self life 20221214_095328.jpg 20221214_095320.jpg 20221214_094838.jpg

Sent from my SM-A025U1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. The only time I've had questionable FFOF it was from a smaller garden center and stored outside. It was soaking wet, moldy and full of fungal gnats. I returned it, got my money back and advised them to cover / store inside.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes 100 percent bad soil. Take it back to the store . They will exchange it for you .

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bad media definitely. Its totally a thing.
    Bought 3 things from a hydro shop that, it turns out stores media outside.
    The case of 144 6" Grodan cubes had rice root aphids, and destroyed many of our mothers. Fortunately we got clean cuts from each, so the genetics weren't lost. There was also some kind of weird horned bug we never identified.
    The 1.5" propagation cubes had massive fungus gnat eggs that became larvae quickly. With the naked eye, you could see them crawling out of the rockwool. These cubes also developed white mold and algae within 2 days of getting wet. The $350 seedpack of #1 Stunna and the $300 seedpack of Rainbow Belts 3.0 that went in to those cubes did horribly. Within 2 days of transplanting they started to look severely screwed up. Its been 5 weeks and have as much plant mass as they should have had weeks ago.
    The unwrapped propagation cubes came with seemingly all of the above.

So yeah, bad media.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. my opinion is those plants look just fine, are you keeping them warm? if you think they are slowing down , might be the weather, but they look just fine, the bag of soil looks like mycelium growing on it, nothing wrong with that, if the bag smells of like rotten it could be anerobic, but i doubt , those bags have air holes, even if it was on the bottom of the pallet it would have only to many nutrients from the rain running down and gravity taking it all to bottom bag , do a slurry test on it if you think it is bad , but i doubt and ive used a many of those bags , many many and never had a bad bag , some claim they had knats , but what would you expect from a bag of soil left outside , if it was stored outside and the bag had knats, just tells me the soil is viable and it is needing dried out a bit , so treat it 2 times to kill any larvae and let it dry and then take inside your house or what not.
    another thing and im sure you know that with the ocean forest , dont feed them plants for a bit, in the cups nothing but ph water at 250 ppm, when you up pot into the same soil that will also need nothing but water for at the least a couple weeks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I would take the other side of this debate and say soil doesn't have a shelf life per say.....but proper storage will reduce the risk of X problems.... IE - water logged soil with infested fungus gnat larve

But if I properly dry out the soil and stop the breeding cycle of the gnats larve, the soil will be OK.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. If you suspect root aphids you can mix in some neem meal. Neem meal contains azadirachtin. It slows or stops the aphid’s molting process which in turn acts as a insect growth regulator. Healthy soil microbiology will also keep root aphids in check. I believe @old shol4evr is correct. It looks like fungal hyphae, Probably caused by the soil becoming too wet from improper storage. If the soil smells like septic. Let it dry out and it will become aerobic once again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  8. that why i like to mix my own soil recipe by hand and get down on my hands and knees and get dirty i inspect every clump and mix in my own perlite and dry nutrients your plants do look fine Malik i hope you get something going soon with your string of bad luck i wouldnt chance that nasty bag get rid of it maybe try making a soil and letting it cook for a good 45 days for your next grow after this

• Like Like x 1
  9. That's some crappy luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Got it

Sent from my SM-A025U1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1