Possible root problem???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by killarblade007, May 2, 2010.

1. #1 killarblade007, May 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2010
    Hi all,

I'm on my second (third if you count the plant I killed) grow using an Aerogarden. Yesterday I noticed white spots on the base of the stem and it seems to be making its way up.

The plant is still growing about an half inch per day and looks healthy. But I'm no expert...
    Any reason to be concerned?

Advice welcome.

Setup:
    Aerogarden (removed stock bulbs)
    400w HPS (1 week into flowering)
    LED Glow Panel
    4 CFLs
    Mylar around back, sides and top
    1 airstone
    Super Bloom 12-55-6

Attached Files:

2. More Pictures taken April 14th.

Attached Files:

3. #3 Sativanya, May 2, 2010
    I think it's the aerogarden that you are using that's giving you problems. What do you need the bubble stone for? Sounds like your setup is a cross between aero and dwc. Another thing is that it's white, which means inside the res there is light and that's a possible case of algae just waiting. Also do you empty the res out when you do your res change, or just add nutrient water? Also when you top the res off are you using just fresh ph'd water? To me it looks like a bit of nute burn with an improper setup.

4. #4 killarblade007, May 2, 2010

I read somewhere that the airstone adds oxygen to the water and promotes root growth. I taped over all the unused holes and around to sides to try to prevent light from getting in. Can't do anything about the front flap. I change the water about once a week or when the water gets hot. Topping up, sometimes I add a little super bloom if it near the end of the week and plain water if its mid week (rain water, it's real clean here). I add half strength super bloom to the water and dilute it even more.

I use a hose to suck out the water and replace with fresh water.

First time I tried adding super bloom, I put in too much and the plant died so I don't use a lot. The reservoir is full of roots, I don't see how I could clean it out without damaging the roots.The first grow using the aero bulb didn't produce a lot of bud, so I 'upgraded' the lights.

5. #5 Sativanya, May 2, 2010
    So are the roots hanging in water with the bubble stone at the bottom, or do you have a water pump spraying water up and everywhere all over the roots? Or both?

Also that res is not going to work. Light is getting in and I know that is causing problems. Never add any nutes to your plant when the res is getting low, ever, your ppm will go threw the roof. I use 5gal buckets and I take the lid off and place the rootball in another bucket when I clean out the main one. Always top your res off with fresh water and no nutes I would find somehow to get your plants out and wash your res and give them straight water for a bit.

6. The airstone sits in the tank attached to a pump. It does not spray water, only pumps air into the tank/water. The roots are just sitting in the water. The aerogarden pumps the water up to the top and drains down through the sponge that holds the stem and root system.

The lights that come with the aerogarden are not good enough to grow buds which is why I added the HPS light. The glow panel is just for fun to see it it helps the plant grow faster and bigger.

7. Cool, I'll give a try

8. #8 Sativanya, May 2, 2010
    You are then running a DWC system not aerogarden, that's probably just the brand name. I would get rid of that dripper system running to it, that's useless. Your res is now to shallow and your plant is drowning and has some nute burn. 5gal buckets work the best with DWC and you need an air stone for each plant. Ill get some pics to help you.

9. This is a picture of my setup, a classic 5gal bubble bucket system.
    [​IMG]

This picture shows how having a net pot threw a removable lid gives you easy access to your res so you can check PH and PPM, notice also im using black buckets with black airhose, I have 0 light getting in. When I change my nutrients I take the whole root ball out and place it into another 5gal bucket which I call my "Work Bucket". Being able to access your res is a must IMO.
    [​IMG]

This shows my root ball, don't mind that tiny stone lol, im a tiny bit stoned myself :smoke: My roots grow down and form a root ball in the water. I only fill my buckets up 1/2 way and the roots close to the top are always in the air, but the humidity in there is enough so they don't dry out. I have to keep a close eye on these cause they can drink the whole bucket in 2 days.
    [​IMG]

Any other questions feel free to ask, but im pretty sure it's your setup that's giving you your problems. Good Luck bro!

10. The wife won't go for that, She thinks I crazy with what I got now...lol

I could not get the plant out so I flushed the tank out with fresh water and drained it over the sink a few times. Covered the tank with Mylar, best I can do for now and filled with fresh, plain water.

The tank does not sit correctly on the base unit so I had to jury-rig it to get the pump running.

We'll see what happens, if it does not die overnight or early next week...

Thanks

:cool:

11. Cool, looks like Sativanya's helping you out. As for your original question, about the white spots on the stems, I get those little nodules too. I think it is just the stem getting woody at the bottom, almost like tree bark. It hasn't ever affected my grows.

12. Your setup is great just switch from that aero garden thingy to a 5gal bucket. The only thing that's giving you trouble is that white plastic thing, pick up some pail's and build a bubble bucket and you'll be golden.

13. #13 killarblade007, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
    Might have to go that route, I think I may be out of room. The stem feels like it's sitting on the bottom. This is gonna be alot bigger tree than my first grow form the looks of it. That's if it survives the week.

:cool:

I'll save this thread and try your setup for my next grow. I think the problem is two fold:

1: Higher power HM and HPS lighting, which is penetrating the white surface.
    2: Super Bloom

Both which are new additions/improvements from my first attempt. My 1st try produced 2 four foot plants and small (very small) bud. Upgrading the lighting and nutrients seemed to be the direction to go in. Might turn this thread into a journal and post pics each week.

Btw: I've had it on water only for one day and already the plant is showing more purplish colors down the stem and out to the leaves. I'll replace the water in a day or two with a little Super Bloom water. Adding nutrients always turn the plant back to it's green color in the past...