Possible nute burn ?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ShiftyEyes, Jun 27, 2016.

1. 2 leaves on 2 different plants are showing signs of problems. One has some yellow spots on the leaf and the other has yellow/brown edges. One of them also has deformed leaves which I have read is a calcium deficiency. They are in sunshine advanced 4 (peat&ecocide) and they are getting general organics nutes at half strength. I also give them cal mag at full strength so a calcium deficiency surprises me. Is this the start of nute burn? Should I give them a flush if so? I have been doing feed-feed-water which takes about 9 days. Water when dry and light. Any suggestions? I have other plants on the same feeding schedule that show no problems or deficiencies. The other ones look great so I'm not sure what to do. They are ready for a water right now so I am considering flushing unless told otherwise.

Attached Files:

2. I also just recently got a pH meter for my last feeding and fed at 5.9 pH. However, before that I have no idea what the pH was.

3. They are outside full time getting about 12 hours direct sunlight. 1 gallon smart pots.

4. The pH of your feed solution should be between 6.3 and 6.7...as well as the water you use for them. If you keep it within range going into the plants, you don't have to worry about runoff pH and all that stuff. Is your pH meter one of good quality. If not, you need to toss it and order a real one. The cheap ones you pick up at Wal Mart or order of Amazon and Ebay are not worthy of staking your grow on. pH is one of the very important keys to keeping your plant healthy while growing indoor, so it's important that you have an instrument that you can rely on. I tried using a couple of the cheap ones only to realize that neither had worked properly from the start. I broke down and about a BlueLab pen which cost me $80, but reads right every time and is quick. I don't know what's going on with your leaves there, but both pics you show are on old growth. You judge the overall health of the plant by what the new growth is going. Anything you do to a plant when grown in soil is only going to show up around 3 days later on or in the plant. It's not like a hydro grow where if you screw up this morning, your plants could be dead by this afternoon. It takes the plant time to process what you put into it and for it to work itself out on the plant itself. If your plant is the proper color, it's leaves are praying to the sun and the new growth looks good, then your plant is healthy. You will occasionally have die off during the life of the plant and during the flower cycle, the almost shed as they mature and reach the time for harvest. If you're unsure about anything you've got going on, go to the beginner grower threads here on the forum and read through the sticky's posted there. They contain the very basics of how to grow this plant and keep it alive and healthy. Remember these things: Nutes are simply plant food. If you use the proper quality of soil to grow in, the amount of nutes you're going to need to add to your containers will be reduced. Any container plant will need to be fed eventually if it stays in the same container long enough. The plant uses up the nutrients as it grows larger and when they're used up, only then does it need fed. If you use smart potting technique during the veg stage and grow in good grow soil, nutes aren't really that much a part of the equation. We grow in Roots Organics Original and I don't give any nutes until my plants are around 2 weeks from going into the flower room. I give throughout the flower cycle but only at 1/4 the recommended soil dose by the nute manufacturer. If you use very good soil, the soil should do the majority of the work. I've even repotted right in the middle of the flower cycle too. If they're good and healthy, they'll never even show any signs of it but just grab onto the new fresh soil and keep on doing their thing. But the more you grow, the better you get at it and the more you understand the plant and the process. Read everything you can about it and look at pics of other growers work. It's amazing what you can learn by just looking at pictures. TWW

5. Thanks for the reply, they are not in soil , they are in a coco mix which apparently is the same as hydro? They started out in soil but it was very hot cus I screwed up and used miracle grow perlite by mistake and it burned them up bad. So I transplanted them into sunshine advanced mix 4 which is an inert medium. That was about 3 weeks ago and they have been growing great since and this is the first sign of trouble I've seen yet. Everything else looks great and they look healthy to me otherwise.

Also, one of those plants is an auto flower which I believe has started to flower already. There are pistils everywhere and buds starting to form I think. I will upload some pics within a few mins so you could get a better look. So does this mean I should ditch the GROW and start using the BLOOM?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. And thanks again for your help man, you have replied to a few of my other threads now and have passed along some good info. Much appreciated.

7. I have read in many places that the ideal pH for coco is 5.7 - 6.0. Is this not accurate?

8. I use a cheap pH meter, however I do have loads of calibration solution and it has been accurate with that so far, at an exact 7.0. I also use the liquid drops for comparison.

9. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files: