Possible new job. Is this a SCAM?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bizzoo, Dec 2, 2008.

1. I was emailed this :

Hello MATTHEW

Central Payment Corporation is a leader in the merchant bankcard industry.
    We are based out of Larkspur, CA, and are backed/sponsored by Wells
    Fargo Bank. The reason for this e-mail is to find out what your interest
    level may be in regards to a potential outside sales position with
    our organization. We are looking for reps to go business to business to
    market our services. The income potential is high due to the lack of
    representation our company currently has in your area. Any business is a
    potential client. What separates us is we offer competitive rates. This
    position can be part time or full time. There are no quotas you have to meet
    and you will have an open territory, so you can sell anywhere you like to.
    Commissions are paid within 24-48 hours, plus 50% residuals, and we also
    offer weekly and monthly bonus plans. There are no investments or out of
    pocket expenses. We set you up with all of your marketing materials,
    applications, brochures, business cards, etc.

I would like to discuss the position with you in more detail and have you
    speak with our Sales Directors. If you would, please advise me of your level
    of interest by e-mailing me. In addition, if you know of anyone that may be
    interested in such an opportunity, please by all means feel free to forward
    my contact information. I look forward in hearing from you soon.

Then in a second email i got this.

Dear MATTHEW

I have received and reviewed your resume in our Human Resources Department.
    The next step is to participate in an Orientation Conference Call. Your
    scheduled time for the conference call is (TUESDAY DEC 2, 2008) at (3:00P.M.) Pacific
    Standard Time. The conference call with Mr. Chris Widener will last approx.
    35 minutes. Please try to call on a regular land line. Cell phones are okay
    as long as it is in a quiet background.

Also go to the link below and print out the training documents from that
    file and have it ready for the conference call, or open the compressed file
    at the bottom of the email;

http://www.centralpaymentcorp.com/login/pdf/AgentIntro.pdf

http://www.centralpaymentcorp.com/pdf/Payplan.pdf

http://www.centralpaymentcorp.com/login/pdf/SampleApps.pdf

Try to call in 5 minutes early. For the conference call you must call:
    1-800-377-8846 Then enter your pin number 86944336#

Our Agent Support Toll Free # is: 1-800-449-8014 and we are here from 7:00am
    to 6:00pm PST everyday to help. After the conference call you will be
    assigned a Sales Director. This person will have no less than 3 years of
    experience within the bankcard industry and will help you every step of the
    way. He/she will speak with your potential clients, walk you through the
    paper work and essentially work for you.

Please call me after the conference call ends.

RE: Conference call with Central Payment Corporation

Do you guys think this is a real job? or is someone trying to fuck with me?

2. You're calling a 1-800 number for a conference call?
    Definitely a scam.

3. yeah i wasnt sure about the whole thing.

you think i should call just to see whast up? or just let it die?

4. It seems like alot of trouble to go to to just fuck with you.. But you never know with the internet these days. I would say at least check out the phone conference. Its not like you have anything to lose.

5. yeah, aint got much to loose here, either you get a job, or you are where you were in the first place, unemployed :D

6. Well man if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Did you put out a resume on a website or somethin? do you have experience for this job? if not, then I would think it is probably a scam.

As far as calling to see whats up....I don't think it would hurt since 1-800 numbers are free, but that could also just be a way to trick you. I would probably just forget about it man.

7. It's bullshit man. Hit the delete button and finish your degree.

8. ok cool thanks guys.

I have my resume posted on monster.com.....so i figured thats where he seen it from, but that 2nd email just seemed wierd becuase i didnt even send anything in.

god damn, i got all excited and shit...i fuckin hate not having a job.

9. man i work at taco bell, and i barely work with any kids my age. maybe 1 or 2. all the other people are like 20s-40's. Like i sit there and think why would they be working at taco bell? did they not get a career or something? I mean im sure they make more than i do (minimum wage 7.05$), but i would just feel unsatisfied with myself if i was working there as an adult.

sorry got a little off topic, im kind of high, but yeah man you should go to simplyhired.com and you can type in where you live, and it shows you jobs and shit...kinda like monster, but better..

good luck :D :bongin:

10. thanks for the advide broski....yeah mutha fucker, i said broski

11. Do NOT get involved. My exroommate became involved in a company like this -- they lie to get you to come in or accept a position and then change everything, ripping you off and others off, etc.

You are better looking elsewhere and not responding to these people at all.

12. I wanted to add that I just saw that you are in the same area as me, I live in the Bay Area and this very well may be the company that my exroommate got involved in. If it is, I promise you they are nothing but trouble.

Also, if you are looking on Craigslist, avoid positions that say call Daphne, she's the boss of that company and they advertise a job position for one thing, but it never ends up being that. Beware of group job interviews unless it's a reputible company.

13. ok thanks man...if your in my area, hit me up if you wanna match bowls some time bro.

14. I always think the same thing about high school teachers because they always bitch about how little they get paid but pretty much all of them graduate from 4 year college so i always think...im sure their not using their degree to its max paying potential but i figure the answer is

"Somebody's gotta do it"

same with taco bell they cant just have a bunch of people under 20 working there...so somebodys gotta do it i guess

and that sucks about the job though i hate gettin excited about things like that then let down

15. It's a pyramid scheme anyways.

"Typically, new recruits pay a sum of money to join the "program" and become a distributor of a product or service, and are told that they'll make money based on the number of new recruits they in turn bring in. The basic idea is that the higher up on the pyramid you are, the more money you'll make.In reality, what happens is that only the originators of the pyramid scheme make money and the rest lose theirs when the pyramid scheme collapses. Eventually ALL pyramid schemes collapse, as the recruiters on the lower levels fail to bring in enough new participants to support those above them."