Possible N defficiency

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Marduk55, Apr 26, 2010.

1. I am experiencing problems with one of my hydro DWC setups. Some of the plants are showing yellow, drooping leaves. It looks exactly as if it were a plant that was being over-watered in soil. I figured maybe it wasn't getting enough oxygen to the roots so I added a couple more airstones. No luck there.

The only thing that I can attribute to the problem is Nitrogen defficiency. Does anyone have experience with N def in a hydro system during veg? I'm having a hard time believing that is what it actually is, since my veg nutes are 7-4-10. My PH is steady at 5.9, so the PH isn't the problem.

If anyone has had experience with dealing with N def in hydro, do you have any suggestions on a good additive that will remedy this situation? Thanks a lot for any input.

2. Here are a few pictures of the problem. Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. do u no the ppm that ur feeding at?

4. The PPM is right around 400. I've always started out my clones around that and they usually respond to it just fine.

5. What sort of lighting are you running?

I just went through this myself with my first set in DWC. I am thinking mine was a lighting issue...

6. I am using a 1000W hps in this room. Yeah, I know, MH is better for veg, but i feel the hortilux gives enough of the blue spectrum to do the job. I have the light about 4-5 ft above the plants at the moment. I don't feel heat on my hand until its about 2 ft away from the lights.

DId you ever have the problem solved?

7. I think so...

I placed two under 300W of CFLs @ 10-12 inches & left the one struggling most under the 400W HPS but moved it from their shelve to the floor. So the hps light is now about 30 inches above the plant. All seemed to have responded well for the time being. The most sickly one actually surprised me... thought it was a gone-r for sure...

8. I wish I could try that....lol, one of the few problems with a recirculating DWC system. I can't separate the bad one from the rest. Maybe I'll offset the buckets with the light, and put the worste plant towards the outside of the system so it isn't getting as much light. It's a long shot but I could see it working.