Possible move to Michigan

Discussion in 'General' started by PrimeDime, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Hey everyone!

well I may be moving to Michigan soon and wanted to know if anyone here is from there. I know it is a medical marijuana state and was wondering what the scene was like out there? I have chronic back pain due to two torn disks from an accident about a year ago and was hoping to be able to get my license as a caregiver. Anyone know more info on that, besides the procedure which I have already looked up? I saw some articles online where people were getting raided by DEA and stuff, that doesn't sound to good to me.

any info would be much appreciated, thanks!!

2. The laws here are gray.

It's pretty safe for caregivers and patients, but there are little to no dispensaries left, due to raids, threats, city ordinances, etc.

Attaining a card is quite easy as long as you actually have a medical problem. They are passing more and more 'acts' and changing the law so it's getting more difficult. As of right now you need a bonafide relationship with your doctor, I believe its as simple as having seen the doctor periodically over 90 days.

It's not nirvana here though, don't expect it to be like Cali, because it's not. You'll still get hassled, you'll still have issues finding meds, but it's become a lot easier.

3. Thanks for the info.

I have been going to Doctors and chiropractors for over a year now regularly but that is here in Florida. Hopefully that is sufficient, I do not see why they wouldn't recommend it for me since I do not want to take pain meds since I have had family members ruin there lives from addiction.

My biggest concern I guess is growing. I want to be able to grow for myself so i saw that I need to be a caregiver. When you are a caregiver, what risks do you face in Michigan? I was looking at the Ann Arbor area for a home to buy. I read some horror stories of DEA coming and taking all your belongings, I can not afford for something like that to happen over some plants I am growing for myself.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any more insight to Michigan please let me know!

4. [quote name='"PrimeDime"']Thanks for the info.

I have been going to Doctors and chiropractors for over a year now regularly but that is here in Florida. Hopefully that is sufficient, I do not see why they wouldn't recommend it for me since I do not want to take pain meds since I have had family members ruin there lives from addiction.

My biggest concern I guess is growing. I want to be able to grow for myself so i saw that I need to be a caregiver. When you are a caregiver, what risks do you face in Michigan? I was looking at the Ann Arbor area for a home to buy. I read some horror stories of DEA coming and taking all your belongings, I can not afford for something like that to happen over some plants I am growing for myself.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any more insight to Michigan please let me know![/quote]

You don't have to be a caregiver to grow.

If you sign someone on as caregiver, you can no longer grow. But as a patient you are allowed to grow 12 plants.

Make sure you get copies of your medical records from those doctors BEFORE you leave FL, to avoid hassle.

5. You would be fine man. Head down and you should be good. As long as you aren't catching attention ya know.
    And like the other guy already said its easy to get your card and its a lot of grey area.
    Ann Arbor still has a slap on the wrist if you get caught with some. Like $25 fine I think.

6. Yes I will definitely need all my medical records because my lawsuit is still in process so I will need to actually find new doctors up in Michigan anyways to continue my treatment.

The only other thing I was worried about was the background check. I have been cited for possession here in florida but took a diversion program. I also was arrested for a felony but was found not guilty. Will this have any effect on my eligibility? I saw on the Michigan website that you can not have a felony arrest.

If this is the case and I can not get my card, would I still be able to grow a few plants without getting noticed? I am planning on buying a nice sized home with plenty land so I should not have close neighbors.

I am currently looking in to the Ann Arbor area or near by since my wife would like to get her masters from U of M.

The medical marijuana has no barring on the move but when I found out Michigan was legal I was very excited but I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

Thanks for all the info everyone, and if there is anyone else with info please let me know.

7. [quote name='"PrimeDime"']Yes I will definitely need all my medical records because my lawsuit is still in process so I will need to actually find new doctors up in Michigan anyways to continue my treatment.

The only other thing I was worried about was the background check. I have been cited for possession here in florida but took a diversion program. I also was arrested for a felony but was found not guilty. Will this have any effect on my eligibility? I saw on the Michigan website that you can not have a felony arrest.

If this is the case and I can not get my card, would I still be able to grow a few plants without getting noticed? I am planning on buying a nice sized home with plenty land so I should not have close neighbors.

I am currently looking in to the Ann Arbor area or near by since my wife would like to get her masters from U of M.

The medical marijuana has no barring on the move but when I found out Michigan was legal I was very excited but I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

Thanks for all the info everyone, and if there is anyone else with info please let me know.[/quote]

The felony thing only refers to a caregiver, in which you can't be convicted of a drug felony and become a caregiver.

There isn't any charges that can affect you getting a card as a patient. Ann Arbor is nice. It's extremely lax on marijuana there. Even without a medical card its only a $25 fine if you're caught with under an oz.

8. Oh man, you guys have me really excited. i appreciate all the info. I am looking for a home now and hope to be moved in the next month or so.

I will make sure I get all my medical stuff before I leave.

Only thing I am not looking forward to is the cold weather but I guess I'll just have to stay inside with my plants lol

9. Does anyone know if I will be able to buy clones or seeds when I get there? Or will I need to order from the seed banks.

Thanks again for all the info!

10. We cant do hookups here sorry man. Check out your local dispensarys. They will have clones. In ann arbor there is one dispensary I did know of called MedMar. This was one of the most top notch ones. Anyhow check it out.