possible mold?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tmk288, Jan 22, 2009.

1. im a begginer at this, built a closet grow box, bare minimum set up. but i dont need to get into that because i havent even used it yet. my problem is this, i started germinating some lowryder 2 seeds via paper towl method, had 4/7 within 2 1/2 days so i just planted them all in soil, (compost manure 0.5-0.5-0.5 perilite and a little bone meal. ive been watering them with 1/2 distilled 1/2 tap water that sat out ( lousiville is supposed to have really really good tap water). but after i planted them, i stuck them in a plant tray/dome. and put a seed heating pad unerneth it, now on day five i see tiny sprouts from 3-4 of them, but they are just starting so i cant tell their health, but the soil on some of the plants, the 3 that were closest to the edge of the tray/dome, have a fuzz looking fungus or mold on the tops of the soil, should i be worried?

2. You probably have powdery mildew starting, and it's possibly because they are over watered. You need to let the soil/medium dry out a bit so that it is slightly damp. Try misting them first with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and distilled water. Use the type from the drugstore at 1-2 tbsp per gallon.
    Mildew /mold begins to grow when oxygen depletion happens. When the root zone is over saturated, it prohibits oxygen from getting to roots. Roots love oxygen. Once you mist with h2o2 solution, leave humidity dome off until your soil dries out a bit. Then, when you water next, use h2o2 in your water. This treatment should kill the mildew, and get some much needed o2 to the roots.
    I wish you luck and your plants healthiness........peace

3. #3 tmk288, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
    all right thanks a bunch, i was thrown off by what had happen since im new, its not something i was prepared for by reading the guides i have, but i guess i did over water them a tad bit. i had been using a spray bottle to water and was concerned that i hadnt water them enough, so no doubt i over watered them. i put them under my lights and the box has exhaust and intake, so i just wont water them for a day or two and keep an eye on the soil moisture.

will this seriously damage or stress my yeild or my plant all together?

also was the bone meal a mistake to put in the starting pots as apposed to putting that in my later mix to transfer to when they get bigger?

4. Bone meal is a fertilizer/soil amendment. It's not necessary to feed seedlings for the first 2-3 weeks. Nature has provided the seeds with enough food to last that long. I don't think it will hurt though, but I would watch to make sure the mildew does not worsen. It (mildew) can cause the stems to rot away. You should be okay if you just let things dry out a bit.
    Good luck......

5. yes, this definately has damaged my plants and i think killed them, i need to step back and retrace my steps and re read some before i tackle this again. i have read several things but i need to study a bit more before i try, because lowryder2 seems to be some of the simplist seeds to grow, being autoflowering.