Possible lighting height issue?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ra7064, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Hey guys sorry for another noob post but I figured I would ask some advice from anyone who would help. The growth on this plant is taking off and tomorrow it will be 14 days old from seed. Everyday i come home and it’s grown another two leaves and I can’t help but get excited seeing my first grow come along. Does anyone know if the shortness of my plant is an issue? I currently have the light around 14 inches give or take. I just raised my seedlings up on top of a box because they seemed to be stretching. IMG_0811.JPG Any advice given is greatly appreciated! IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0809.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Depending on how far your light is, will be one determining factor of wether or not it stretches. If you choose to keep it short, well then that's exactly what it will be. If you decided to let it stretch and increased the distance of your light from the plant, well then it'll do just that.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the reply, I understand that the distance will affect the size. The question I’m asking is whether or not it would be advised to raise or lower it (you know if my plant looks to be shorter than normal 14 day old plants) just seeking advice

4. Need to know what light, they look good!

5. Viparspectra 600w reflector series. And thank you!!

6. Its 269 actual watts.

I myself would keep it where it is.

I use a 1000w HID/Hortilux HPS to veg, and have my light 24 inches from the top of the canopy x 14 days old. I start at 30 inches at germination/popping up from the soil, and in 2 weeks will have it down to 24 anyway.

So IMHO 14 is good. Your plants look good, and don't fix, whats not broken. It aint always greener on the other side. Try and keep experimentation to a minimum/0. When in doubt? Don't.

Height will be genetically determined.

You can make any plant stretch, but at the equator, I assure you theyre getting the crap blasted out of then in both Intensity, Spectrum, and UVA/UVB from the beginning of their lives, until the end.

Wht size area do you plan on lighting with 269w??
    At 14 inches I guess its good for around 2 x 2.... 2.25 x 2.25. At 2.225 that 50w Sq/Ft. Enough to grow about any strain.

At 2 x 2 is 67w.

When I use a 1000w HID in a 4 x 4 is around 62w/Sq/Ft. 50w is consider good enough to grow about any light loving Sativa. But 60w+ also still works, and will increase results. = faster growth.

At the equator, there is 100w/Sq/Ft.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek2::eek2::eek2::Love-Plant::Love-Plant::Love-Plant:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sorry I beat around the bush from time to time because I don't like to force my answer. So I'll change it haha. What I mean is that your plants are healthy and look very good, so if you wanted them to be taller then you can do that. As I understand, this will help stretch the plant as a whole. Branches included and thus making them longer so that they can receive more light. At that point you could lst if you chose.

As far as being to short, that is up to you as a Grower.

Example , My last grow was an OGK plant. I kept the lights low and didn't give it much room to stretch. Which in turn meant I had to defoliate a lot more because the bottom branches weren't getting enough light through its dense leaf canopy. So this time I am probably going to raise them a little and when the stretch commenses, I will lst appropriately.

I'll add a picture or two to show you what I mean.

J Evergreen

IMG_3147.JPG IMG_3157.JPG IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3267.JPG IMG_3268.JPG

Notice how bushy it got but how short it stayed? I defoliate that thing several times and it's bottom branches bearly made it to be long enough to lst before I found out it was a male.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks so much guys I really appreciate the advice and tips. I hate being new to this but at the same time it’s pretty damn exciting watching it grow. Sorry to keep bugging everyone with questions just thought it’d be smarter to ask before I started changing things lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah I see what you mean that makes me feel a lot better. Thanks again for the in depth answer it clarified what I was wondering man

10. Currently it’s in a 2x4x8 ft high closet. I’m going to move it eventually to a larger closet and possibly add another 300-600 watt light

11. #11 jimihendrix42, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    You say another light?? What kind. LED. HID ? Id want at least 600w REAL WATTS in a 2 x 4 area if possible.

IMHO, regardless of how dense the growth is, if you have Enough powerful lighting, it doesn't matter if its shaded, or not., and then when the light is flipped, it will stretch and then sort itself out. If you don't have good ventilation,, and enough light though, it can easily mold though if thick buds.
    If the bottom leaves, and branches are unhealthy, Id get rid of them, otherwise I leave them alone, and either train them, or use them for cuttings.

I myself also like to BEND the plant(s) and force the tip to grow Laterally, and train the secondary branches to grow vertically towards the light.

That's a really nice, compact plant. JE....Even though the leaves may look shaded, it looks like the leaves, secondary branches ect, were very healthy, and no sign of stress ect.

While I know we have different grow methods, ( LED/HID ) and unless you have a lot of LED I understand it wont penetrate like 1000w HID, and may have to be defoliated ect. But its all good, and would never say HID is the only way, as in some cases its easier to manage.

Just like a 1000w Gavita is more powerful vs a Single ended, but unless you have 40 inches to spare between the bulb, and canopy, it may be useless, and the single ended build will work optimally. Just as in many cases the LED is Superior in application.

But for me, that's a nice looking, compact plant, and Id veg, and train it in a 5G container of Promix BX, then transplant it into a 20g.

Id like to see what it would do in a 20 gallon container, under 1000w Hortilux HID and trained to be about 30 inches Lateral growth, before flip, and plenty of ventilation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You are spot on with your reference. I too think if you have a strong enough light it will work itself out. That particular plant was under 2 Mars 300w LEDs, so not to powerful. I think that's where most of my issues came from with my side branches not stretching until 2weeks into flower. I only allowed that plant about 35-40 days of veg too so that could've been a factor as well. Plus it was a male so it got chopped quickly.

Sorry to clutter though this isn't about me. I am curious as well as to what light you will add next. If you wanted to check out quantum boards, just type it in the search bar or go over to @Tbone Shuffle's thread and give them a look. Very good lights in my opinion with what I would consider more manageable heat restrictions. I just bought two smaller ones to give them a test. So far I am happy and I think a lot of others are as well. The downside of course is they are a little more expensive then leds if you decide to buy the pre-wired ones.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with these beautiful plants. Best of luck. @ra7064

Sincerely,

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 3
  13. When a plant stretches in veg it's reaching for the light. Many smaller plants don't tolerate close light distances well especially if you have high output lights. Many rookie growers leave the light too far too long and cause a long spacing between nodes as the plant reaches for light. My veg plants are over 24" from 250 watts of qb120s. 14" is fairly close for a viparspectra 600. If the plant is tolerating it okay then you could let it ride but I would go for around 18" myself.

Your light distance will depend pretty vastly on the strain and the power level of the light. The more powerful and directional the light is the more light distance you'll need. Some of the more powerful bloom setups need at least 24". Another point to consider is many strains have different light tolerance levels. Some plants can get much closer to lights without ill effects then others.

The idea of using a blue leaning light in veg and close light distance is it helps build a plant with a tight node structure. Then the red lights of the bloom area gives you the most actual growth out of that tight node structure.

When managing light distances just feel with the back of your hand above the plant and see how hot it is. If it feels too hot to you then it's too hot for the plant. Also watch the top leaves for upcurled serrations. This is the first sign of heat/light stress. If you see too much of that back off a few inches or make other changes to the routine like increasing air circulation or reducing temp if possible. Keep your temp monitoring equipment at the top of the canopy level and you'll get a better reading of what the plant is experiencing.
    [​IMG]
    This is the first sign of the light being too close.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hey I'm new at this indoor grow, but I think that your plant is getting the right amount of light, if it wasn't it would be stretching toward the light looking for light...

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks again for all of the advice guys it’s greatly appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Here’s some updated pictures from today. These puppies are taking off!

IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0816.JPG

• Like Like x 1