possible japanese beetles!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by lambsbreadu, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Hi All,

This is my first grow. I have 4 plants (3 NL#5 and 1 bagseed) that I just planted outside about a week ago (I live in the NorthEast). I had them growing under CFLs as seedlings and they were vibrant and healthy when I transplanted them into Mother Earth. They were about 6 inches tall when I transplanted them. Anyway, I went to check on them (to water them if needed, etc.) and I noticed that 2 of the NL#5 plants had some little holes in a few of the lower leaves (fan leaves?) The holes went clean through the leaf and were oval in shape and about a 1/2 centimeter in length. (Sorry I couldn't get any photos). My friend thinks it may be Japanese Beetles.

What do you guys think? I know it would be better if you could see a picture but based on what I've described...what do people think.

Also, assuming it is Japanese Beetles, I'm trying to find a VERY SAFE way to get rid of them and not harm the plant (or me!) ...the last thing I want to do is inhale poison when I finally smoke these babies!

2. i have my plants in this hidden field type thing with a bunch of other types of tall plants around it. japanese beetles are everywhere in that field mating and such. but i have never caught on on my plants. so from my experience, they dont really eat MJ plants. but watch out for those grasshoppers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. On my roof, grasshoppers are the only beasts I ever get a problem with. The baby ones are the problem.

4. Thanks to all for replying! :)

I'm bummed because 2 of my girls (I don't really know if they were girls but I just call them that for the power of positive thinking/wishing!) were eaten except for the stem (all the poor little leaves and branches were completely gone!)...I don't know if it was deer or rabbits or Martians but they laid waste to my 2 defenseless plants :(

On the up side, I still have 2 more at a different location (they're both NL#5)
    At that location one plant didn't fare too well because some mammal dug it up to get at something underneath. Didn't harm the plant much but it just hasn't grown that fast after being replanted in mother earth. The other plant, however, is perfect. Growing tall and straight. Lots more leaves and branches. (I could also use any advice on topping/fimming, etc.) ....
    since this is my one truly viable plant I decided to put some discreet metal fencing around it (dark green vinyl coated chicken wire). Right now the top is open. Should I be putting a chicken wire "roof" on it?? I really want to keep all the greedy mammals away!

Thanks,

Lambsbread