Possible grow room - advice?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Xavior, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Here are some pic's of a grow room I'd like to make/use. I'd really appreciate some help with this because growing here (on top of my garage) is ideal when compared to my other option, which is my attic.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Notice there are nails coming in from the roof tiles, but I would staple some type of plastic covering over it so it became more of a 'wall'.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Its not super easy to move around, but I could live with that.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      70.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Well how high is the highest point??? Your not going to want to Veg for too long or they will get to high. I would say 10 days veg max. I know you got some mylar so you can use that up the trusses but I would suggest white poly on the floor so no water goes through the ceiling of the garage. Also you'll need to think about the intake and the exhaust. you'll need fans for air movement, make sure the fans are blowing on the plants alittle, it will make them stronger. Well get to work and show us some more pics.

5. that looks like my garage attic:). temps can get pretty damn hot, so make sure you have ventilation. i have my growbox in an area like that, i wish i could use the whole room:D

good luck:)

6. And now the bad news...on an average day (the temp being a high of 75 and a low of 55 outside)...I took a temperature reading and the temperature at the highest point was 95 degrees, and the floor temp was 85. (This was at about 2pm)

The garage receives light basically the entire day...that works to my benefit in cold weather, but not during the spring and even worse summer (I could believe the temp could reach 115 in the room easily).

Any ideas for ventilation? Or should I give up and stick with my attic (has the same problem but already has an exhaust fan).

*The green highlighted part of the picture is where the roof meets the floor, there is varying lengths between maybe 1 foot and 2 feet all along both sides of the room. Most would hafto be blocked off with black plastic so light doesnt poor down into the garage, but perhaps I could somehow hide running a ventilation tube along a corner of the room?

How easy/feasable would it be to put a roof ventilation fan directly into the roof? Wouldnt that let light out?

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      66.5 KB
      Views:
  7. LOL, two posts already. Well u were both right about the ventilation, I'd say that would be the biggest bump in the road, aside from maybe sound, I'm hoping the hydro system I bought isnt very noisy.

My goal is to make it so that everything is on at once (hydro, lights, and ventilation) without my noticing while standing inside, and more importantly - outside, the garage.

8. What about putting insulation in the areas that have nails and then stapling thick poly plastic over it...

That would keep some sound in as well as making it easier to control the temp....any thoughts? I don't know enough about construction to know if that if possible. Thinking ahead I would think the plastic over the insulation would help keep them from getting soggy from the humidity...which I may also have to control.

9. I left a small vornado fan going for about an hour now...the temperature has dropped quite a bit. In a couple days I'll leave the temperature gauge in there to get accurate temp readings without the fan.

10. Well unfortunately I did measurements and there is only about 4 feet of clearance....and my hydro system's planter are at least a foot and a half...:(:(:(

Looks like I hafta use my attic...hum :(

11. 2 words insulation and ventilation. Also invest in light movers the make the light more useable. Make it reflective also.

Peace,
    GB

12. OK, maybe I gave up a little too easy....

What about using Envirolites....one for each plant hung from the ceiling...those could be closer to the plant than an HID system and can also get closer to the ceiling. But only a couple feet of grow space??? Is that enough?

What have people successfully used to grow with that doesnt generate alot of heat?...and would compliment having a hydroponic system (theres no point in having hydroponics if my plants will be struggling for light)

13. Do a ScrOG. that way the total height of the thing can be 3 - 4'. and you can vent out your roof easily, get a roof vent, and install it in the roof, they are available at home depot for like $5 - $10. i'd have the ScrOG setups on wheels so you can move 'em aroung, so you dont need isles. that way you can grow more plants:)

14. Yeh, I was thinking of that as well, but I'm not really the 'handy' type, so how easy could it be?

So far I'm thinking of insulating it so that it doesnt get hot/cold as quickly as with the weather. Then stapling that 6mil Black/White Poly stuff on top to seal them in, also adding more near the sides of the room too keep light from seeping down (alot gets down with just that one bulb).

It would be great if I could completely contain that room, but its alot of work when I'm still stuck with the problem of ventilation. I dont want to spend $100 (I don't know how much insulation is) and a couple of days of working on a room thats going to be too hot to grow in anyways.

Bleh, I write so much, it helps me to think and everyone suffers for it :( lol.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      57.2 KB
      Views:
  15. ScrOG?

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
  16. It'd be easy to just hang Envirolite's from the highest point...

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:
  17. you really cleaned that place up nice:)

18. Yeh but I'm still pretty worried about ventilating it...so far the only reasonable way to do it would be to install some type of vents in the roof and then install an intake to one and an exhaust to the other, but I don't want it to be suspicious, and I especially dont want people the be able to smell it :(

Has anyone had any experience installing roof vents with a ventilation system attached to it? At this point its not worth it to me if I can't grow using less than an additional $1500. That seems like alot, but I have so much stuff I'll have to do to keep the room temp controlled, sealed, and quiet. Plus I'll still have to buy lights, and at this point it looks like I'll have to buy a whole lot of Envirolite's and CFL's. :( hmm

19. just buy afew 1000watt HPS lights. although getting rid of the heat is gonna be a bitch:(

20. scrog = screen of green...

ill copy/paste what john said to me, as the definition of it

i havent slept yet, so i wont bother trying to re-define that lol

that room is looking good, i wish i had something like that to grow in

also..there is an image that shows how to make a cooling system that gets rid of odor...check it out here

http://forum.grasscity.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20261

that should be it right there =)