Possible Bubble Bucket Problem (newbish, I know)

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by trikky, Dec 4, 2006.

1. I just built a bubble bucket, and the water was about 1/2" from the net pot. I stuck my hand in there, and there doesnt seem to be much water spraying into the bucket onto my hand. Seems this wouldn't be enough to sustain root life. Could there be a problem with my system. Both air pumps connected to the two air stones are working properly, there just doesn't seem to be much spray. Any help would be awesome.

2. Its ok, it's the air bubles in the water that is most important as your plant's roots will be submerged into it. If your using rockwool, you can put a little water on the cube if you think it is getting to dry. Once the roots hit the water they will really grow fast. One question for you, do you have the meters for testing the pH and TDS, if you don't your going to need them. Peace out, and good luck.

3. THanks for getting back to me so quickly. I am buying a 4 in 1 EC, Ph, Moisture, and lumens meter as well as hydroton and rockwool at the hydro shop soon.

4. Whats the name of the meter? I had 1 from rapiest and it was garbage. What type of lighting are you going with? Also, if your using rockwool make sure that you get rockwool conditioner, thats the name of the product as well as what it does.

5. I am going to use 2 cfl's. I am going to do a BB, 12/12 grow. I am not vegging at all. I plan on starting 3 seeds and should see sex within 2-3 weeks. I'm going to remove the males, and continue my 12/12 light schedule all through the grow. It's just going to be a quick hydro lesson, I intend to build an Ebb and Flow sea of green garden for my next complete grow.

6. Also, why do the roots not get suffocated when they are growing into the water? Or are you suppossed to adjust the water level as the roots grow? Not sure what the roots are suppossed to be doing in the hydro systems.

7. Trikky, You will have to veg for some period of time weather you want to or not if your growing from seed. if you are using clones then you can go straight to 12/12 once clones have shown root growth.

8. Read up, bro. On a 12/12 lighting schedule the plants still veg for 2-3 weeks before beginning flowering. It's an experiment.

9. Trikky you will still be better off giving at least 1 week of vegging first, it will improve the strenght of the stem which is important.

The best way to think of the water medium is a super enriched soil that requires no effort on the plants part to remove the nutrients, the air bubles keep the roots oxigenated so they don't drown. So once the roots are establised in the water you should reduce the water 2-3 inches under the net pot.

10. Vegging for one week can make a big difference in your yield, some strains you gotta grow 12/12 indoors or they will get too big. The roots dont die in the water because of the oxygenation via the air pump, it is very important that you have enought air in your water, I generaly look for bubbling/fizzing type of effect on the top.

11. I agree with both of you on those ideas. I think what I will do is put them on a 24/0 schedule for a week and then unduce flowering. I am going to use stakes, just in case the stem cannot support the plant. Thanks for the help guys.

12. No shit Sherlock. Of course they continue to veg for a week or so after going to 12/12. Its not like a light switch. But your plants will not be sexually mature for at least 2 weeks. YOU should definitely read up before you do an experiment. BRO.

PS: I have done my reading up.

13. If roots are not out of the netpot as yet your water level should be about 1/2 inch ABOVE the bottom of the net pot, only AFTER! the roots come out the net pot should you drop the level to 1 inch below the net pot.

This is also the time you add your nutrients.

14. Thanks guys, even you, Gator. I appreciatew the help from all of you, and i'll post pics asap. It should be fun, I just want to do a hydro grow, b/c I have to wait to harvest my organic grow. After that, I'm going all hydro. Ebb and Flow Sea of Green.