Possibilities in Science

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by TesseLated, Jul 27, 2011.

1. This talk is a very interesting discussion of scientist vs. creationist view of the universe and the process of how scientists ongoing work is to explain the mechanics of "everything".

Also, he pretty much describes the process of what happens when the two opposing groups try to have a discussion....(like on this forum)

Its a great talk and everybody would benefit from seeing it.....He's a neuroscientist and very articulate.......

[ame=http://vimeo.com/16177455]David Eagleman on Possibilianism on Vimeo[/ame]

2. Wow!

What a great video, I could NOT agree more.

Phenomenal find, I am not sure how I have never seen this before. I really don't have anything more to add, I think he was right on the button.

3. ^^I'm glad somebody took the time to watch it...lol....I dont post shit like that unless its exceptional, because there's always something else to see.

He does a good job articulating the specific problem of those opposing views....atheist, agnostic, creationist...and turning the discussion to proving possibilities.

4. That was right up my alley, thanks a bunch for sharing this my brother :)

I have posted it at my facebook status in hopes to encourage some open-mindedness

5. eeeeeeeeeeeeee

6. #7 Ungutus, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
    possibilianism sounds a lot like Secular Humanism. lol

Really a wonderful video!

7. #8 kannabiskid, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    so im a possibillionaire now?

that sounds about right :D

Great Vid

8. Definitely sounds great, I know marijuana is one thing to help this open mindedness

9. #10 TesseLated, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011

Secular Humanism could probably do us humans a great deal of good....the problem is that a small part of the world's population can even conceptualize it.....

...which is why I posted it in the S&P forum...some understand it and others still have a ways to go before they 'round that bend'...oh well oh well

That reminds me of a song:

.....Well every beautiful thing I come across
    Tells me to stop moving and shake this riddle off
    Oh Well

And there was a time when all I wanted was my
    Ice cream colder, and a little cream soda
    Oh Well, Oh Well

And a wooden box, and an alley full of rocks
    was all I had to care about
    Oh Well, Oh Well, Oh Well

But now my mind is filled with rubber tires
    and forest fires
    an whether I'm a liar
    and lots of other situations where I don't know
    what to do at which time God screams to me
    “there's nothing left for me to tell you”

Oh Well, Oh Well, Oh Well

partial lyrics: Little Cream Soda: White Stripes :smoke:

*Thanks to people who watched it...Its something everybody could benefit from hearing. An open mind is incredibly freeing...

10. David Eagleman is a genius. If you guys want two really good reads I strongly suggest reading sum and incognito. Sum is a bunch of short stories about the afterlife and is probably my favorite book I've ever read. Incognito is just about the brain and consciousness. It is a book that will change how you view your brain and the entire world around you. I have actually had the opportunity to sit down with this man for lunch for a couple of hours in a very small group and pick his brain. It was by far the best lunch I have ever had. He is becoming pretty well known now and he does amazing work, everyone should look into his stuff it's really great.

11. Sum looks like it could be a very enthralling read! I think I may check it out very soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you read any Daniel Dennett, snip?

12. I enjoyed this. People need to realize that there is no reason to reject the idea of a god. Our ignorance would make that just as arrogant as thinking that one of our man made regions are true.

13. #14 TesseLated, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011

haha..thats great....good to know about the books.....I posted this interview by Colbert somewhere else but I'll post it here....Its pretty funny....Colbert asks him if he's high..lol

[ame="http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/392756/july-21-2011/david-eagleman"]http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/392756/july-21-2011/david-eagleman[/ame]

*well...the link is being a bitch....just click on 'here' and it takes you to the vid

14. #15 TesseLated, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011
    The PopTech website has a great amount of vids for all you Science people....This is on "Unexpected Science".....the prepared mind...His comments on using analogies are great.

Its like TED Talks...but for Science..there are other categories.....but they, let's say....use logic...lol...no hocus pocus

The brain research he starts talking about at about 15 min. is interesting....He is not as good of a speaker as Eagleman...
    Kevin Dunbar on unexpected science

15. + rep for the video's, my brain say mmmmm tasty :D

16. #17 snip, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I haven't read a lot by him but I've read a little, a few articles here and there. I took a class where we looked a little at him and others like David Chalmers. I really like their work though, I'm a philosophical person so naturally I'm really interested in their work. They are a new breed of philosophers and what they are doing is so interesting.

17. When Am I Dead? - Radiolab

1. Soul Has Weight, Physician Thinks: Biologist Lee Silver tells us the story of a physician's ambitious 1907 experiment to discover the weight of the soul. 2. Metamorphosis: One possibility of the afterlife from David Eagleman, read by actor Jeffrey Tambor. 3. When Am I Dead?: Is life over when your heart stops beating? When you take your last breath? When your brain fizzles out? Author and researcher Gary Greenberg and John Troyer explore these questions. 4. Anyone for Tennis?: We ask neuroscientist Adrian Owen, can the dead play tennis?

18. I got around to reading Sum. And wow, I was really blown away. I just wish it had been longer!