Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

possession of pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by bhangii, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hey blades.. got a bit of a technical question here.. actually 2 questions that are related..

lets say im cruising around with a friend in his/her car and we get pulled over and the cops find some pot in the car.. not on any one person.. and i fess up to owning it.. like i say i put it there or w/e.. who will get in trouble? just me or both of us?

likewise, lets say im living at home with my family and i have a weed plant and/or weed in my room or something.. and the cops raid the house.. and i fess up to it being my plant and my plant only.. i grew it, i took care of it, its mine, i smoke it and its in my part of the house wherever i live (bedroom, basement etc) and no one had anything to do with it or even knew that i had it..

who will get in trouble? just me or could my family (parents) be held liable for it?

is it different in different states? is it a gray area of the law? or are there set rules?

btw i live in wisconsin, and im over 18

+rep if anyone can find some references, that would be AWESOME.. thanks all

2. well just you, did you guys allow the cop to search the car? did you guys smoke inside the car?in what state you live in?

3. this is a hypothetical situation.. but yea cops searched it either through probable cause or us allowing them.. but the weed is neither in my pocket nor my friends.. its just sitting there.. and im saying its mine and my friend had nothing to do with it..

i understand that if we smoked in there we could both get in trouble cuz it would be in both of our systems..

I live in Wisconsin..

4. The way it works in Washington state at least is that if you claim guilty for the crime, only you will be arrested.

5. Ok lets take this one step further.. the reason i am asking about the home situation is this.. i recently convinced my parents that i smoke pot to help me ie it is my medicine.. but they obv dont want me to deal with any sketch people in order to obtain it.. so they are cool to let me grow it at home as long as they know that they wont get in trouble for it.. so basically i need to prove to them that no matter what, they will not be held liable for me growing in their house.. is that possible?

6. As long as they have "no knowledge" of the crime, they can not be convicted of it. In other words, keep it hidden and your parents can claim they have no idea. If you are admitting 100% ownership for it they will not go after your parents.

As far as "solid proof" goes down, I did some googling and found no real laws spelling out what I am saying. It's just how I've seen the many busts go down in Washington.

7. Your still cultivating on that property. I still think they can be liable for said illegal plant.

8. Only reasons you will be caught.

1) Tell people about your grow op.
    2) Odor control
    3) Growing a noticeable amount (15+ plants).

9. Modzilla.. thanks for the info.. and i have also searched all over the place but have yet to find any laws pertaining to this

H4Boxer.. obviously im not going to tell anyone and plan on growing 1 or 2 plants.. and will also take all the precautions to keep smell minimal

so ur saying that they could still be held liable even if the plant is hidden, they know nothing of it according to both them and me?

10. They could. Highly unlikely they would take it that far for 1 plant though.

11. Do you know anything about growing? It will be smelly, take up room, need to be climate controlled, good ventilation. Are your parents willing to let you destroy a room to set it up got a grow room or are you planning on building a grow box?

12. i would hope so.. lol

well not really im a beginner but i have researched the crap out of it.. i plan on doing it in the basement where no one ever goes.. and i will probably set up some sort of carbon filters to get rid of the smell

plus im only planning on growing like 1-2 plants.. hardly the massive grow op lol

13. If your parents can reasonably plead ignorant, as in not knowing you were growing, there's no charges they can face. You can help this by keeping your grow stealthy, with smell being the biggest concern. Even a few plants can let off a tell tale stink.

But since you're growing for personal use, I see no reason why the cops would even have you on their radar. They simply don't have the resources to pursue every grow op, and since yours is both small and for personal use, it's just not worth their time and money to come after you.

They enforce drug laws in the best way possible to continue receiving government funding, and catching "Joe Smith" who has a couple of plants in the basement simply isn't a convincing bust to justify such an expense.

Stay quiet, install carbon filters and you won't even need to worry about all this at all.

14. This isn't so at all. I'm growing in a tiny linen closet in my bedroom. You can fit a small grow tent into most closets. You mentioned grow boxes. I've seen micro grow boxes made out of large PC cases. Lots of solutions for the small-time personal grower. You can even do it all the way through with modern CFL's. Never been easier to keep a small plant or two. As to smell, that can be greatly mitigated both with strain choice and some basic filtering (which is super easy if a grow box is used, but there are solutions for the closet-grow, too).

Totally doable. As to whether your parents can be held liable, this can vary state to state. I think, generally, as long as they can reasonably claim they had no idea and you are over 18, they'd be OK unless there is an especially overzealous official. Even then I'd think they'd have a good chance in court, but it could be a fight.

In short, you probably won't be busted for a small personal grow (depending on area), your parents will probably not be busted if you are, but there are no guarantees as long as it is a federal crime.

15. If you have a basement I would grow more than 1-2 plants. You won't be able to sustain a constant amount of weed for yourself on only 2 plants. Well I know I couldn't. You have a basement so I would get about 5-8 plants in there on a steady cycle that way you are harvesting regularly.

16. don't leave drugs or drug paraphernalia out in plain sight if you don't want to be searched. if your car doesnt reek of weed then there's no probable cause for a search. just be careful man