Possession; Less than a gram and paraphernalia

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Sinnah, Mar 1, 2010.

1. #1 Sinnah, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2010
    Early last week, I was pulled over on the highway for speeding. I knew I'd end up with a charge for driving on a suspended DL. But things quickly escalated.

They pulled me out of the car, and asked me if I knew my DL was suspended, I did and I told them so. I looked down the line of four cop cars to see a K9 unit pull his dog out.

Being high and scared I blurted out that I had a bowl and less than a gram of pot in the car. They continued to search the car, talked to me about where I was and where I was headed. After they brought the dog back, one of the cops searched my car, as the other searched my coat pockets. The K9 handler had the nerve to ask me to "help them out in turn for dropping the charge." I couldn't believe what this asshole was asking me to do. So I just declined.

After they collected my bowl and pretty much ripped the rest of my car apart, they came back and asked me if I'd rather go to jail or home. I told them I wanted to go home, but obviously I couldn't drive my car home. They sat me in the county cop's car as he filled out all the paperwork. He mentioned several times how he was doing me a "favor", telling me that it would have been easier for him to take me to booking. He let me off the speeding ticket with a warning and gave me citations for the suspended DL and driving without a DL. Told me I'd be getting a summons for the possession charges, and that if I changed my mind about "helping them out", to call him at the county office. He then drove me to the gas station by my house, and let me go.

I'm not too worried about the other charges, as I know what will happen there.

But the possession charges, I've read a few of the threads here and looked up the MD laws on several websites. On NORMAL.org, they state the paraphernalia charge is a $500 fine. But I'm not sure what they meant with the possession charge. Is it EITHER a year in jail OR a $1,000 fine? Or both?

-Edit

This is my first offense, too.

2. what did they mean by "helping them out"?

3. this is only a guess but maybe help them out by ratting our the dealer or something in return for no charges

4. They wanted me to rat out a dealer in the town I was chilling in. It goes against all code and honor as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a snitch.

5. im sure it meant admitting to it all. Even when a cop finds something on you its still not over. If you get busted, and say absolutely nothing there is still a chance to do a ruse in court and try to get the charges lessened or dropped. They want you to admit to everything that way there are no questions in the conviction.

It coulda been about ratting people out. But my experience was when i was busted, i knew i was busted, the cop knew i was busted. He would still try to make me verbally confess to it.

If you get pulled over, talk to the cop and be friendly. But as soon as he even has cause to write you a ticket, silence yourself. It is your right. And when they say anything can and will be used against you in a court of law, they mean just that. They will take the most innocent statement and flip, skew, contort or just plain lie and make it into something incriminating.

Dont ever tell the cops anything. When a cop asks you were you are going, tell him its not his business. He ask you were you come from tell him its not his concern. tell them nothing, as they are lying snakes in the grass looking to cost you money or put you in prison.

6. He flat out asked me to help him bust one of the dealers in the town I told them I was partying in. And the charges would be dropped. I've thought about ratting out a dude who has ripped me and several of my friends off, but I can't even bring myself to do that much. So helping the pigs do anything is out of the question.

All I wanna know is if the possession charge is either a year or the thousand dollar fine or if it's both.

7. those are the maximum. You could get both. But seeing as its first offense im sure youll just get a fine. And i doubt it will be anywhere near $1000

8. Thanks, Wise

9. Well that sucks dude. Thats why we need it legal, so we dont have to deal with cops harrassing us, and fines which dont really do much but fuck us over financially.

10. Take it to court, tell about how the officer illegally asked for a dealer in return for no charges.

11. Why were you driving HIGH, AND SPEEDING WITH A SUSPENDED DRIVERS LICENCE? Sorry but thats just idiotic, there is no justification for doing something like that.

12. I think I agree- Let's keep it safe so it can keep getting legalized :D

13. that's what they're designed to do. (duh?)

14. Only break one law at a time. That means if you're carrying weed break no other laws. It makes it much less likely you will get caught.

But for a first offence I'd say you'd be looking at the lower end of the spectrum for any penalties. Fines, drug rehab etc.

15. Yeah probably only fines, rehab, etc. some community service, nothing to bad. For a first offense at least

16. like others said, the best advice is to only break one law at a time. other than that you probably only will have fines, court fees, and community service. theres no way youre going to jail.

17. probably just some fines...You're not gonna go to jail for a fucking year

18. I realize it was idiotic to speed, while high on a suspended DL. My only defense in the matter is he switch up his "hiding spot". Not much of an excuse, I know..

But anyway... I didn't think I was going to jail. And I highly doubt rehab will be an option either. Nor fines as high as they stated.

Although, I do have another question.. How long does it usually take for them to even serve the summons?

19. That's very noble of you, and it's the right thing to do. Cannabis dealers provide a service to the community, and they do not deserve to be punished for it, nor do you for consuming cannabis. It is DISGUSTING what they do to us for no reason, the pain and suffering they cause, tarnishing the good name of Justice.

I was charged in Maryland. You won't get fined or go to jail, but you will have to go through drug-testing probation. It fucking sucks, I wish I had more power so I could change this world by force and make them stop hurting people.

20. For a lot of MM users in New Mexico, dealers are the only avenue we have to obtain medication. We have over 1,400 registered MM cardholders and 5 producers. You don't even have to do the math on this one. There just isn't enough to go around. I thank God every day for the underground growers and distributors. Not to mention the product is a lot cheaper than what you can buy in a dispensary.

I would never cooperate with the police in getting someone else incarcerated. The fact that he even asked shows you what little ethics and morals HE has, and HE'S THE POLICE! This world has gone to shit.