Possession Charge

Discussion in 'General' started by chris_08, Jan 1, 2009.

1. A couple days ago i got caught with like a dub in my car. I might not be able to do the diversion program where you do community service and it gets taken off your record shortly thereafter. How bad is having a marijuana possession charge on your record? Like will i be able to get into graduate school and get a legit job when i graduate? How long will that charge stay on my record? Thanks.

2. depends on the state you're in. in minnesota its only a petty misdomenor so i will never have an issue with it, however if it is a misdeminor you might have to check the boxes on applications depending on how they word the question

3. Im in Kentucky and i know that its a misdemeanor. Im hoping its legal by the time i get out of grad school, that'd be nice. I mean other than that though my record is totally clean. Would i get the boot on a job because of a possession charge? I just can't see that happening, especially if they drug test me when i go for a job and i'm clean.

4. how old are you?
    if your under 18 then you can do diversion
    if your over then it depends on the state. most just make you pay a fine

5. #5 chris_08, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
    In my state you can do diversion if your over 18 and i'm already in it for criminal mischief and criminal trespassing. I got that for basically going to a party at a girls house while she was on vacation with her family. Things got broken and now her mom is sueing me, my buddy and another girl for 4000$ because we were the only ones she(the mom) knew at the party. Its alot deeper and more fucked up than that but i couldn't explain to you all the details on here. So my options are either go to diversion for the mischief or trespassing and plead guilty for the dub or go to diversion for the dub and try to fight the mischief and trespassing in court. Basically what im asking is would it be better for me to have a possession charge on my record or mischief and trespassing on my record(assuming me and my buddy are found guilty in court for the trespassing and mischief).

6. thats so fucked
    you guys broke into there house and threw a party while they were away
    i'd sue you to

7. We didn't break in. The girl gave her friend the garage code and told her she could do it. We have a written statement by her saying that.

8. Does that matter? In Vermont I know that diversion isn't just for minors, I have a couple friends that are 20+ in diversion right now...

9. all these questions could be answered by an attorney. if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to you.

10. Yeah in my state anyone can do diversion as long as its a non-violent misdemeanor.

11. Does anyone know how many times you can do diversion? I've heard its only once but i've also heard stories of people doing it multiple times.

12. Not most states, just a select few. I believe tomorrow is the day that it actually becomes decriminilized in MA:hello:

13. im in pa and i think its a felony here.

im doing diversion right now. its my last 15 days of probation (FUCK YES). its going to get wiped from my record when im done with it (i commited a felony) so im lucky as fuck i was nice to the cop.

dont know how many times. probly only once.

14. in cali its a fine if your over 18
    if your under you get 6 months diversion
    thats why it matters

15. Yeah seriously man, with this criminal mischeif shit you should be talking to an attorney

16. oh
    then thats a different story

17. #17 prochobo, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
    Exactly. And since you violated criminal law, you should be entitled to a free attorney. Talk to a lawyer at the least. A lot of times, they can get little shit like this taken down or dismissed. Either that, or try to get a plea bargain.

As for you getting a job if convicted, it varies. I've seen some applications which only ask about felonies, but some ask for misdemeanors as well. I've even seen some that specifically ask for only violent misdemeanors or felonies. Also, I live in Kentucky as well. Louisville to be exact.

18. Don't worry bout it brah. The charge will be on there for good. But more n more employers are just over looking a simple possesion charge.

I have a Manufacturing/Distributing on my record and soon to my B&E and Larceny.

My future looks dim, but ya know what? The system sets us up to fail.

im gunna be stuck in the game for life :(

19. About school...if you have a drug charge you can't get any federal funding. That's the bigger, more unjust consequence. Also, the diversion thing you're talking about is known as first offender's status (at least in the states I've been in court...lol). You won't get that more than once I think. Good luck.

20. Good luck with whatever happens