Portland - Worth Moving To?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tree Burner, May 29, 2013.

That's my home town. Really anything fun to do is in Portland. Hillsboro is kind of meh. Watch out for gangsters! Lot's of hispanic hoodlums running around tagging shit up. Not being racist just stating what I have noticed I'm sure there's some wigga's that do it too.

Depends on the area of town you would be moving too. Some area's are nice and some are not so nice. Not really much of a night life there are a couple bars in Hillsboro but really that's what Portland is for. I would advise against it simply because it is hard to find a job.

2. If you dream of the '90s, you'll love Portland.

3. My son lives in Hillsboro. He's an electrician and INTEL is building a huge plant there. He will have work there for at least a couple of years. There seems to be 2 different areas in Hillsboro. Where my son lives, there's a lot of shopping and everything looks new.

The other side where the down town is looks older where the poster above was talking about Hispanic hoodlums.

the good thing about Portland is that you don't have to live downtown to be able to go downtown where the nightlife is. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods around Portland, that aren't actually in Portland.

The university of Oregon is in Eugene. If I had my choice, that's where I would live.

4. yeah portland is awsome, i know alot of people that have moved to boulder colorado. Try to get a job at a upscale restaurant in the downtown area, youll make more in tips than your actual paycheck

5. All I can ever think when I hear of Portland. I'm game. The 90's were cool.

just going to leave this here... :hippie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_9CzLCbkY

6. ^ that vid was stupid really

7. This bag is drab..put a bird on it!

8. I hear Portland is like a twin of my hometown but a bit bigger. I live in Asheville NC and I hear people comparing us as your east coast counterpart quite a bit. So if there is any truth to this please let me know! Portland seems awesome and I have wanted to go for a while but it isnt exactly right nextdoor either.

Yeah that neighborhood's alright. I would say somewhere between a housing complex and the more crappier parts of Hillsboro. I assume you are a younger guy and you obviously smoke pot. You will like the area alright. If you got a job worked out you'll be good.

I've been living on the east coast more than half my life (Frederick, MD and now Richmond, VA) and have done a lot of traveling around the country. I've also been to Portland.

I can confidentially say that Richmond is much closer in feel to Portland right now. We have a thriving food, art, and culture scene. Beer has been growing rapidly out here since a few law changes went into effect. Richmond and Portland are constantly wrestling as the top 3rd or 4th most tattooed cities in America (last I saw Richmond was #2). The outdoor scenes are a little different, but they both certainly have their own share of the great outdoors. People are very open to others here (we're kind of in a renaissance right now) and the quirkiness is very apparent in both cities. I cannot accurately rate Portland on this, but being in the south, openness to strangers in public and friendliness is very apparent in Richmond.

I'm actually looking closely at Colorado and Oregon for a move soon (I've been here too long, otherwise this city is amazing). I'm very conflicted, but I believe the constant rain will end up taking out Portland  :(

11. #31 Tree Burner, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
    Colorado, for sure. There are some awesome places to live here not to mention the new marijuana laws.

12. I'd stay in Colorado. I just moved here from Boston and love it. I live in Denver and it's not expensive at all compared to back in Boston. I live next to plenty of stores including Best Buy and the mall is not far either. Portland is nice and all, but it's nothing compared to Colorado. I've been to Portland a few times, it's very cozy. If you dislike your resort town, you wont like Portland.

13. That is interesting because you virtually just described Asheville as if it were Richmond!
    I have never been to Richmond but it isn't really that far and I have heard a few things about it that match what I am used to. The most accurate part that matches is the beer. As of now Asheville is the capital for the craft beer movement which is awesome because I am surronded by so many breweries that I can't handle it lol.

Sadly the only thing about Asheville is that after a while you begin to feel trapped by it and that fact becomes even truer when you leave the city and realize that it is like a fantasyland that is tucked away in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. The scenery and the mountains with the diverse climate make this place amazing however the culture outside the city is totally backwoods conservative Christian hell and it really makes life a downer lol.

Regardless I hear that Portland is just a giant Asheville one the west coast because above all Asheville is just a hippie city that is laid back and pretty stoned all the time. I do need to look more into Richmond though just because it seems similar and there aren't many places in the south like this haha.

14. I think one of the biggest draw backs of living in Portland is the airport. The weather's fine, people are people and nature is all around but if you travel much better deals are priced from Seattle and Los Angeles. Public transportation is great here but even better in bigger cities.

15. If you drive be careful. Bicycles own the road they are essentially never in the wrong, homelessness is a hobby, weed won't be legalized there even with their newest effort (ok that one is my opinion not a fact) and being the west coast capital for both the child sex trade and brown tar.... I'm 2 minutes north of Portland and refuse to cross the river unless it is absolutely mandatory.

16. Oh and measure 11

17. I've lived in southern Washington my entire life so Portland was always near. Downtown Portland is most likely not what you want at all. Gang activity and shit. Other places are nice though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lol, you act like it is some hell hole. And you live in the Couve...

Portland is dope.

19. They have a lot of drugs up there.  I'd do it.  But you all know me  :laughing:

20. For me it would be hell. But only one of my points is an opinion. I may be brain damaged but it would take some very good reasons to get me to move to someplace labeled a child sex trade capital. Oregon is more class III firearm friendly and that'd be a huge perk to me but still not worth it. I've always been pretty anti Portland but the people who dig it really love the shit out of it.

• Like Like x 1