poppyseed muffin!?! weird story..

Discussion in 'General' started by jammin, Feb 9, 2007.

1. i had a drug test the other day and i had just done ecstasy 3 days prior. i was farely confident i had flushed my system b/c of water and the fact that ecstasy isn't in your system for that long.

well i got my results back and it turns out i tested positive for opiates. now this could be heroin, morphine, vicodin, oxy, opium etc.
    while researching opiates a little..i discovered that poppyseeds can trigger a false-positive for opiates and it is VERY common especially when eating a lot of poppyseeds (a muffin, bagel, etc.)
    well i had eaten a poppyseed muffin about 4 hours prior to the test, and i am close-to-positive that it was the muffin and not the ecstasy.

need some insight from anyone knowing if ecstasy is known to be cut with opiates, because i've NEVER heard of it...

2. i'm certain it was the muffin, mythbusters tried tested and proven!

3. Yep, I failed a DT when I was in ROTC... I snuck a poppy bagel while we were off base, and we were tested the next day. :(

4. Lol. Thread starter, you didnt fail cause of poppy.

Ok here, in order for a recreational dose of morphine and other opiates from the poppy seed, you need about 3 pounds of seeds. A bagel's poppy seeds would have some morhpine in them, but it wouldnt meet the minimun reading required to fail you (unless it was an extra strict army one).

And the reason you failed, is because of the x. its often only 20% mmda or mdma and pretty highly cut with some other drug, possibly opiates.

5. Same thing happened to Elaine on Seinfeld

6. That happened to me too, it sucked. I had a pretty hard time convincing them that it was just a muffin.

7. http://www.erowid.org/plants/poppy/poppy_testing.shtml

"Most Opiate urine tests have a cut off level of 300 ng/ml. Ingestion of a single poppy seed bagel can produce an opiate level somewhere around 250 ng/ml three hours later. 3 teaspoons of store bought poppy seeds can result in 1200 ng/ml 6 hours later."

"The Discovery Channel's MythBusters show did a piece testing whether poppy seeds could cause a false positive on an over-the-counter drug test. Two people were tested for opiates before the experiment began. Both tested negative on this initial test. One person then ate three poppy seed bagels and the other ate poppy seed cake. Both tested positive for opiates within 30 minutes of ingesting the seeds and continued to test positive until 16 hours after ingestion."

considering the cutoff level is 300 ng/ml and 3 tps. would put you to 1200 ng/ml, i would only need about 1 teaspoon of poppyseeds to test positive.
    straight from erowid

8. wierd, and dumb, considering you need 3 pounds, for real, to have any fun

bad cutoff...