Popcorn

Discussion in 'General' started by boydamien, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Someone bought me a popcorn maker and a bag of corn.
    I popped some but tbh it tastes kinda shit.

Any popcorn lovers know any tips to make it taste better,
    Im just about to banish it to the back of the cupboard alongside all the other unused appliances lol

2. Salt or butter. Or both im just trying to spare your arteries.

3. Cheers do you put butter on after or straight into the maker?

4. #5 PuppyMonkeyBaby, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Lol u didn't think to put butter on it??

Ps make sure to melt the butter in the microwave first and then pour it over

5. Use butter and avoid margarine at all costs, margarine is pretty much plastic and worse for you than butter is. Also try other seasonings like red pepper, some garlic or onion powder and try to make yourself some homemade gourmet popcorn.

6. If it's a hot air popper I'd retire it.

7. Yea i should have melted it. It just stuck to it in big blobs of butter.
    Unfit for human consumption im afraid.

No sure if its a hot air thing but it defo gets extremely hot in a short time and its rather noisy.

Be easier just buying popcorn methinks

8. Lol my god dude so u just put clumps of butter in there??

9. #10 Lenny., Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Half a stick of melted butter, pour a bit of popcorn and butter at a time so it's layered. Add in some salt & pepper while you're doing that.

I also like to do melted butter & parmesan cheese

10. Yea I thought it would melt with the heat,but the popcorn cooled down to quick !

11. There are three basic manners of popping corn...one is hot air, where you just pour it in a hopper, plug it in and the machine gets really hot, really quick while blowing the popcorn around in a small cylinder.

There is the oil-type of popping where a small amount of oil is first heated to a high temperature and then the corn added. Hopefully there is a stirring mechanism or some of it can get scorched and you KNOW when some of it got scorched.

The third common way is microwaved bags...self-explanatory since you put the bag in for however long it calls for and it has the oil and flavoring contained in the bag. After it is done, you can add more butter to it...

I'm sure somewhere, someone has experimented with using cannabis oil for the oil-based means of popping.

Got to concur with the above suggestions about nuking a quarter to a half stick of butter in the microwave and pouring it over the popcorn and then salting to taste. It will melt a lot quicker if you slice it into three to six pieces before putting it in the microwave.

12. Depending on the popcorn maker you have, some company's will have a salt and butter topping that you cook with the popcorn while it's popping.

13. microwaves were invented for the express purpose of making popcorn faster, easier, butterier.... [​IMG]

14. I just thought i would try it out lol

Cheers for the replies and tips i will certainly try them out.

15. Last time I ate popcorn, a hull lodged itself behind a tonsil for a week.

16. I do it the old fashioned way, in a pot with lots of melted coconut oil. Cooking it in fat in essential, imo. No salt or butter toppings for me.

17. I'll just leave this here....

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443364934.689149.jpg

18. Best way I know to make popcorn, and you don't need a maker. Just a regular pot you would use to make pasta or something.

Put like a half cup of canola oil (the proportions are on the bag of seeds you get). Then turn it on, put a kernel in, and when you hear that one pop, throw the rest of them in. When you hear the popping finish, toss some salt in and stir.

It's for real, the best popcorn I've ever had, and takes like 5 minutes instead of the two it takes to microwave some.

Plus it's dirt cheap.

19. #20 AS420, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
    I like popcorn and cheese dip.

Bangin'.