Pontiac

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by salters, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Alright. I've been looking for cars for just over 4 months now. Ive found some real nice ones, but as soon as I make an appointment to go see one; they all seemed to sell.

Anyone here drive a pontiac? I'm looking today around 6:30 at a 2005 Pontiac Grand AM. I don't know if pontiacs any good. Its Front wheel drive with only 130k on it. he's asking for 3,500$

I know i should take a look and test drive before I buy, but what do you guys think?

2. Well I drive a 1995 pontiac trans am every day and I have zero problems out of it; it has 155k original everything and runs like a top. I find myself upgrading things before they break haha.

I'd go for it, offer him 3 though, I trust Pontiac but really they're just a division of GM, they've probably got the same quality of chevy since they use a lot of the same parts. And I've never had a bad chevy.

3. I think a lot of people end up with head gasket issues with those V6s. Or that might have been the generation before them. Then again, the people I'm thinking of would have been the type to take it to a shop and believe every word they say.

Really I don't know and shouldn't have bothered replying... Haha

4. You can win one of those if you sell enough Mary Kay cosmetics.

5. #5 BP to the DP, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
    Check it out. Those V6's are pretty solid, and will go really far with only basic maintenance.

You always have the option of swapping in it's bigger brother, the 3800, and supercharging it. You might want to get a new tranny though.

Edit: I don't know anything about the 4 cylinder that the other models use, though.

Also: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Qx4y3Z_-k[/ame]

You know you want to do it

6. I would take too a certified mechanic to do an inspection of the: Head Gaskets, Lower intake gaskets, and the other typical stuff as tie rods and ball joints, brakes ect. The engines in those ran forever if well maintained . only other thing i can think of that they have problems with would be the windows coming off the tracks . Would not pay more than 2,800 though.

7. I think you guys are right, most issues I heard of are probably from a lack of maintenance since they're a family car and a lot of people just assume if it moves then nothing is broken. Or it goes to the kid in the family and gets beat on.

8. thanks guys

Yeah i'm taking a look at it tonight. If it doesn't work out, then i just keep shopping around

9. Let us know how it looks

10. Pontiacs are very sturdy vehicles. I got a 99 Sunfire when I was 17 and it still drives like a champ 6 years later and 240k miles on it.

I had to have a starter put in it, but other than that and routine maintenance it runs very well to this day. In fact, I've been driving it again for the past month while my next to new Honda has been in the shop with several problems.

11. #11 weedandtubes, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
    They more so have issues with the intake manifold gasket, rather than the head gasket. Cheaper/ easier to fix than head and the only thing that causes it is the old generation of dex-cool. If it's had regular coolant flushes, it should be good.
    Edit: I guess I could say something actually relevant, lol. I've had 2 Ponti's. A '98 Grand Prix GTP (supercharged model formerly mentioned) and that thing was a beast. I also have a '97 Firebird which has been nothing but issues, but it was also improperly stored for 12 years. I bought it straight out of a locker last year for 2700, after sitting since 99. Still had original tires and 30k miles. Now that I've gone through and replaced all the rubber mounts, did a top end rebuild and all that, it runs like a top at 57k miles.

12. My last car was an '05 Gran Prix and I loved it. Never had any major issues. Regular maintenance goes a long way.