pond scum/slime in bubble bucket setup help!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by drb Dexter, Oct 17, 2007.

1. This is my first bubble bucket setup (thanks Rump) and its has been going really good compared to my soil ones. but i noticed in the last couple days it got this pond/scum build up on the drains and i get this slime looking stuff hanging off of the roots. its been about 4 day sence i change the nutes. i have the water cycling through a res so i dont think the water is getting stagnant. any info would help me out this is only my 2nd grow and my first doin hydro so much help is needed.
    Thanks, Dexter

Attached Files:

2. u need to drain better that looks like nutes old ones seperateing i would advise cleaning ur buckets after next flush
    set plant down some way and quickly scrub that bucket with just water and rag
    see if it still forms then youll know if its something else
    p.s... doesnt look good man get it out:eek:

3. one more thin i noticed the plants farthur away from light are slowly gonna get blocked out by those bigger ones closer to light u need to do summin about that if you can even a cfl or two on that end a a few t5 flouros will help alot

4. i have been doin some thinkin and when i made my bucket system i washed the buckets out to sterilize them but i didnt do it to the fitting peaces (like the drain where every thing is building up) so i think that might be the problem. my buddy has a aeroponic cloner and its says in between uses to clean it out with light bleach mixture run it through (Plants out of course) then to run a vinegar mixture to neutralize the bleach so you plant will not be harmed by the bleach but you system will still be desinfected by it. so this is what im planing to do but my friend doesnt know the mixture for the bleach and the vinegar solutions, so if any one has ever heard of this or has a botanicare aeroponic cloner with the directions telling the mixtures. i have checked the botanicare site and no luck so some help finding this mixture would help me out.
    Thanks, Dexter

5. It may help to use darker hoses or put like electrical tape around them or something.
    It is imperative to keep light from reaching the nutrients in the bucket.
    Algae needs light to grow. Ensuring no light makes its way to the nutrients through the bucket is the best way to prevent algae growth. Algae also thrives in anaerobic conditions (lack of oxygen) so be sure that plenty of air is being pumped into the buckets. I dont know the minimum amount, but you should not have any problems if you are pumping in at least 500 cc's/min of air per gallon. 600 cc's/min per gallon will ensure plenty of oxygen is being introduced in the nutrients.

6. This may help its from og.

Make a solution (the amount equivalent to the size of your bucket) with plain water and 10ml of H2o2 (Hydrogen peroxide) added per gallon of water.Empty the bucket containing the algae growth and scrub well.Pour the H2o2 solution into the bucket through the top of your net pot.Let this sit for about 1/2 hour and then dump and rinse through the top of the net pot with plain pH adjusted (pH5.5) water.Dump again and then fill with your standard nute solution with 5ml of H2o2 added.In a few days,when no signs of the slime are visible,dump the bucket and fill with your standard nute solution.

7. It is imperative to keep light from reaching the nutrients in the bucket. For this reason, it is recommended to use black buckets for DWC. When using white buckets,they can be wrapped with several layers of duct tape or a layer of anti-corrosion pipe tape. Be sure to tape the lids also.

Algae needs light to grow. Ensuring no light makes its way to the nutrients through the bucket is the best way to prevent algae growth. Algae also thrives in anaerobic conditions (lack of oxygen) so be sure that plenty of air is being pumped into the buckets. I dont know the minimum amount, but you should not have any problems if you are pumping in at least 500 cc's/min of air per gallon. 600 cc's/min per gallon will ensure plenty of oxygen is being introduced in the nutrients.

8. It is imperative to keep light from reaching the nutrients in the bucket. For this reason, it is recommended to use black buckets for DWC. When using white buckets,they can be wrapped with several layers of duct tape or a layer of anti-corrosion pipe tape. Be sure to tape the lids also.

9. :eek: Nitrophilic Bacteria :eek: Nitrophilic bacteria are a relatively unknown problem in hydroponics. It is a very aggressive bacteria with an appearance of a white slimy scum or slag in the nutrient concentrate or working tank solution. I couldn't find any pics of it ..... save yours for L8er just in case it is. remember, we can fix anything !

has anyone dealt with N B ? what is the diff ~ algae and bacteria :confused:

are they like 'feed a cold, starve a fever'.....