pollination

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Dawg2k7, Mar 6, 2009.

1. roughly after a male shows sex how many days after will the pollen sacks brust and start to throw there pollen around? I have a male very small sacks only 4 days into sexing of the male how long before it pollinates my females? Is there anyway to leave the male in there and lets say I take it out early enough my females will just have couple seeds here and there in each bud, Im not wanting to ruin a whole bud to get seeds. Is there a way just to leave the male in there take it out early and get a couple seeds in each bud? I always get some good dank weed that just has a couple seeds in there but not many how is this possible? again im not wanting to pollinate only 1 bud and ruin it just to get seeds id rather have a couple seeds or a few here and there. So how long would i have to leave the male in there??

And when a male sacks brust and i collect the pollen can I just put it in a little glad wear cup with a tight seal and leave it at room tempture in the dark to store it and keep it to pollinate again in the furture, and if so how long will the pollen be potent for does it ever go bad? thanks guys for your help.

2. If you take your male out of the room and let it continue to grow it will still mature to produce pollen. You can then take a plastic bag ( the ones they have in the produce section at the supermarket work well), and place them over the entire male plant and shake some pollen loose. Then, place the pollen dusted bag over one lower branch, and use a twist tie to secure the bag to the branch. Gently massage the buds through the bag to insure pollination. When the bag condensates, (over night for me), remove the bag, and leave the twist tie on the pollinated branch.

I used this method recently that I learned from a guy here named cantharis, and just harvested over one hundred seeds off of one plant. Make sure you turn off all fans when applying the plastic bag, and be sure to mark the branch. Here's a link to his method: Setting Seed

3. Oh thanks for the info man. Well now how much pollen is needed to make sure pollination will happen? how long will pollen last for if i store it properly? Im wanting to save the pollen forawhile will it stay pollinated is it possible to store stock pollen?

And another question is how do you know when the pollen sacks on a male plant are gonna break? whats the time range from the day it shows sex? is there any visble way to tell that the plant is gonna burst?

I dont have 2 grow rooms so im just wanting to pull my male plant in the neck of time...

4. A Little pollen goes a Long way. Pollen can last for several years if stored properly in a freezer. It can take from 10 to 30 days for the sacks to burst, depending on strain, conditions etc..

Careful when handling pollen. I suggest wearing a dust mask at least. And take measures to quiet the air in your space prior to collection. Also change your clothes before going near the females to prevent any unintended pollination. Hope that helps. :wave:

5. the dust mask is a GREAT idea if you have a decent amount of pollen going around...I learned this the hard way, I was congested FOR EV ER

6. LMAO. Cannabis pollen is quite unfamiliar to the human respiratory system (for most of us) and i could see it reeking havoc on the 'ol factories. :)