pollination

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by emperor_dragoon, Oct 10, 2013.

1. So here is what i am thinking, I want to build a grow house, whether its organic or uses hydroponics idk yet. In the back of the grow house i either want to have a beehive, or (idea from a friend) use butterflys, I would have to make sure the bees couldn't get out and cross pollinate. Would this have any affect on the plant itself, and would anything happen to the honey? Sorry if this seems like a newb question.

2. Butterflies is dumb, as they don't pollinate as such, but will fuck with each other then lay them eggs in your bud, then eat your bud, if you could guarantee that the worms will be toxic with THC ...then you could be onto something,

Avoid bees unless you have considerable experience, as in no person in a million years of honey making have yet to control them as yet, they will pollinate your plants also any and all plants in a 25 mile area...?

Do it your self to pollinate use a artists paintbrush and paint the pollen on, then leave a bit of tape as an indication, also record to a notebook

What if i buried the green house....like in a basement. prolly be better in a steel box. I could always test both.... or make a giant 25 mile weed farm....I like the last one the best.

4. What they don't tell you about the birds and bees in school, is they carry many virus's (viri) from one plant to another plant etc etc. is not practicable unless you are familiar with apiaries

5. #5 CL4P-TP, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
    what in the fuck are you asking ?

is it ...

can you use canna pollen to make honey ?

or is it....

can you use bees to breed my canna?

6. Both, plus would bees have an effect on the potency and or size of the plant.

7. I kept Honey Bees for several years.  There is a possibility that they might take pollen from males but they will probably not work your females plants spreading pollen to them.  If they do work the males the pollen will be fed to the larva so it shouldn't affect the honey and there is no way it would affect the females, either growth or potency.

8. so the only reason to use bees would be to breed? Thanks.

9. okay ,

A. canna is air pollinated. meaning it has no need of outside help other then the wind.

B. yes you could make honey using nothing but canna pollen( canna doesn't need bees to pollinate, but they 'll still visit the males)  , but it would take a few acres of canna to make the first quart.

C. bees would have no effect on potency aside from the time they inadvertently pollinate a female. @ which time it will only lower quality.

10. you need to learn about breeding.

we canna growers use selective breeding( Mendelian) which using bees in a fields most surely not.

11. You cannot keep bees in an enclosed greenhouse, they would die without foraging outside for food and water.  If you have to ask how to pollinate your crop  you will never master beekeeping, this is much more complicated than growing pot and physically pollinating the flowers.

PW

12. Agreed, I was simply wondering if beekeeping would have any effect on the plant.

13. naw, not to any real noticeable degree.

now keeping bees does make some people happy , and happy grower make for happy plants ( If for no other reason then you spend more time with em ). so there is that.

but as an "organic booster" bees are not it.

14. If they don't collect nectar from a flower it will not become honey!  Pollen is fed to the bees, mostly the larva, and doesn't become honey.

15. You can but you need to feed them, both a protein, pollen or substitute, and sugar.

16. #16 CL4P-TP, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
    ahh, okay . that makes sense. thanks

must be why I see hummingbirds ( the Americas pollinators as we don't have honey bees naturally) hitting my girls outdoors.

now for the real question then... does the females canna flower produce nectar? cause I don't think so ....but it'd be cool to be wrong. :bongin: 

17. Forget about the bees!  Keep them outdoors.  They won't cross pollinate your plants.  NOT A CHANCE!

Are you planning on breeding your plants?  Put the males in a totally different place with no common air.  Then take pollen and carefully hand pollinate with a paint brush.  Or take the female to the male for a few minutes, then let her air off for a few house before putting her back into the flowering tent.  Unless you want to pollinate everything in the tent.  I've pollinated everything in the flowering tent by gently rubbing a male bud over a single female bud. 

18. I don't think so, at least not in quantities that bees would find attractive unless they are starving and there is NOTHING else to work.