Pollination for seed production

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Mr.B., Sep 9, 2018.

1. Need some experienced eyes ????? Anyone done/doing any pollinating to breed your own batch ??? Let me know guys/gals. Cheers, MR.B.

2. I recently crossed a sturdy male hash plant with its 2 sisters and a feminized peppermint kush. I collected pollen, added a little table flour and froze it. I then grew a crimea blue and a blueberry headband and pollinated a few flowers on each of them. I recommend isolating the male and collecting pollen, the first ones I just let blow, and it was all seed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The pure hashplant will be my base indica genetics for future endeavours. The peppermint cross will be set free in several choice locations. The crimea blue and blueberry headband crosses will be backcrossed and crossed with violator kush and phatt fruity. I eventually want to cross the hashplant genetics with a pure sativa, probably Kilimanjaro. As long as you collect pollen and just paint a few lower branch flowers it doesnt affect yield. I got about 100 seeds from 3 popcorn flowers and well over 1000 off each of the fully pollinated plants.

• Like Like x 1
  4. what do you want to know Mr B? how to breed proper strains or make hybrid crosses(pollen chucks)

5. Sorted it bro, cheers tho

6. Did you cover the branch with a bag after you pollinated it.

7. No, I didn't, but I shut off all my fans before application and left them off for about 4 days after. I was very careful, just using a very small amount and applying with a tiny paintbrush.

8. I have a tent with only one male in it and it is spitting pollin now I want to wait another week before i pollinate that will be week 3 of flower, and then cover the branches I pollinate. I have 8 different strain plants in flower now all in different stages and do not want any cross pollination.
    Think I can collect some pollin now and keep it for a week in the refrigerated.

9. #9 gumbygrow, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    I added a little table flour to mine in a jar and put it in the freezer for over 2 months. I forgot to mention I am in a
    7 x11x7 ft room with mylar partitions so the air won't stagnate quite as fast as a small tent.
    I also sprayed the top of the soil and surrounding floor under the area with water so if a little falls it dies. If you only have one male you shouldn't have to worry about cross polination.

10. I missed the part about different stages. I would wait till one month before finish for pollination, should be plenty of time for seeds to mature. You will see a drastic difference within a week. The pollinated flowers pistils will turn red right away.

11. Month and a half at least. I'd shoot for two months. One month is not enough to make a viable seed. I just went through this, two months is my plan from now on. My seeds were still green until about week 7-8 after pollination.
    I waited to pollinate till week 3 of flower. That's when I could see lots of pistils reaching to find pollen. It's just easier for me than to count back from harvest. And I figure, the sooner pollinated, the more time for seeds to ripen.
    I've never really understood reading here about counting back from harvest to figure out when to pollinate. I notice my males will blossom a week or two before the females even look ready. It makes me think that early pollination is naturally better. (I don't know this - assumption on my part)
    Unless of course it was an unplanned last minute opportunity.

Anyways, it takes me a good 7 weeks to make seeds I can trust to germinate. The longer they go, the greater percentage rate of germination.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. I have a flower room that is separate from my veg room and I have the male in a tent in the veg room, and I do not care if I get a seed or 2 here and there just do not want the whole room goto seed. I am going to put some pollin in a container and put it in the frig for a week and brush some on week 3 cut the male down, that's the plan anyway

13. Hi my name is Brandon 26 yrs. Old from NE. I am currently in Colorado near the Boulder area looking to speak with an experienced Colorado grower is there any way you could point me in the right direction

Sent from my SM-G950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I under estimated on my blueberry headband and crimea blue, one went 5 weeks the other went 6 1/2 from pollination, I was trying to go off of the info in the sticky. They all look great maybe the extra time is why. Thanks for the info.