Pollinate Vs. Cloning

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by zoomme, Nov 8, 2011.

1. I'm trying to plan ahead. I'm leaning toward pollination and seed harvesting but I'd like to hear arguments from both sides....Please:)

2. it depends on what your intended purpose is???

3. Never again having to purchase seeds.

4. clones give stable genetics seeds will vary because of the mixing of the chromosomes most growers who grow a pack of seeds will notice differences

5. honestly, i feel that cloning is really efficient, and you know what you have to do, how do it, and in most circumstances can predict everything.

i would, if i were to be a grower, pollinate though. it's more tedious and takes more time, but you get a different strain everytime, as well as a gigantic number of seeds.

6. I've grown from seed only. Cloning would require keeping a mother plant. I currently don't have the space.

7. Seeds are better because they root quickly and if given the opportunity will grow into a tree.

Clones are better because you can get an idea of the growth rate for that exact phenotype to help make the most efficient use of space/light.

8. Seeds are better because they can be stored for years and are easy to transport.

Clones are better because they start out as mature plants with larger leaves than a seed's cotyledons. This means clones can photosynthesize more and be fed full strength nutrients as soon as they root.

9. Well, I think what I'm looking for is an opinion on either justifying stressing out to try and make space for a mother plant or to hear that pollinating/making fem seeds are easier. I've not done either. I know I can grow from seed. And if I make a small seedling/veg area, I might be able to almost have a perpetual grow. Not quite, but I won't need as much space and extra equipment as I would to clone.

10. Trim lower branches off your plants when you change lights to 12/12 and use the best tops off them to clone with

11. From the issues I have delt with trying smaller grows I would say just get a mother. Run 2 rooms a veg and a flower. 400w MH at least for veg in a 3x3 or 9sq ft rom with mothers and clones and a 1000w hps in a 5x5 room for flower. When you have space to work and breath nd yourplants do too you will be amazed the better results. I just finished my 2nd harves.(need to post pics) by giving my babies room they did much better.

12. [quote name='"Rvds619"']From the issues I have delt with trying smaller grows I would say just get a mother. Run 2 rooms a veg and a flower. 400w MH at least for veg in a 3x3 or 9sq ft rom with mothers and clones and a 1000w hps in a 5x5 room for flower. When you have space to work and breath nd yourplants do too you will be amazed the better results. I just finished my 2nd harves.(need to post pics) by giving my babies room they did much better.[/quote]

I definitely won't be able to have that much room. But, would a mother plant require the specific light schedule? Everyday house plants do fine growing by just chilling in the window.

13. It cannot enter flowering. So it does need some schedule. Keep lights on it at least 18hrs a day.

14. I've been doing clones for a long time now and I'm considering just switching to seeds to bypass the whole cloning and keeping of mother plants...I'm probably gonna go with a mix of auto seeds though. I'll see how it goes...I just get tired of constantly doing clones...seeds seem so much easier. I wish I had femmed autos to work with, but they show quick enough anyways that not too much time/space is wasted on the males.

15. [quote name='"Rvds619"']It cannot enter flowering. So it does need some schedule. Keep lights on it at least 18hrs a day.[/quote]

Thats what I'm trying to bypass. Or maybe not bypass so much as have a decorative looking light hanging out above it so that I can cover or move her but the light can stay and the whole thing can be in my room but not in the closet. Then use my closet to flower. If I could convert my other closet to veg I'd be set.

16. Something I have failed to mention and my reason for having a big veg box is because mother plants are old and need lots of light to prduce plenty of healthy shoots for cloning. One light unless its a 250+w MH or equal will starve your plant of light to where it will have to veg longer than a seed would grow.

17. You really don't need much room or light for mother plants. I was keeping about 15 bonsai mothers under about 70 watts....they stayed incredibly healthy and produced about 5-10 cuttings a week. I recently reduced my strains, and decided to start with fresh mothers, and make room to pop some new seeds.

Microgrower420 has a great bonsai mother plant guide.