pollen question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by vatoloco, Feb 22, 2002.

1. You hear about seeds lasting for years before being planted if they're kept in the right environment. My question is how long does pollen stay fertile?

I think I've got a male in my batch and was thinking about crossing this bagseed mostly indica strain with a NL#5 I'll be growing next time. Would keeping the pollen in a tin or glass jar be alright?

2. An interesting question.....

IMO, I don't think the pollen will last very long. Unless you collect under very sterile conditions, and can safely store in an airtight and sterilize containers, microbes and fungus will attack and consume the pollen. I think it would be very hard to collect enough pollen off a male now and not accidently fertilize any females you've got now. Can't you clone your male tht you want to save and try him out later?

3. I could take a clone but it's one of the smaller plants, plus (for now) I only have one room to grow in with the lights at 12/12. Not even a week into flowering yet. I think I'll let it grow a couple more weeks before I move it out of there.
    Would show a pic but they're taking a nap.