Poll question for the musicians / lyricists on GC

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by HipHopHead420, Dec 2, 2009.

1. I felt this fit more appropriately here than in the Music Hall..

My Question is, how do the artists of GC write their music? Typically I will just come up with a line or two out of nowhere. I still can't figure out where it comes from, just conversation or something that will pop into my head. Then I'll write it down and maybe add a few more lines to it.

Later on when working on a song I'll finish the music, then find a verse or few bars that would fit nicely with the flow of the song.

What about you guys?

2. I write lyrics and poems, Mostly poems though. But I normally write based on experiences I'm dealing with or have gone through before. But when I actually get down to writing said poem or lyrics. I'll pick the music that matches my mood best. Anger = Metal, Love = Love songs etc. Then I just write whatever comes to me.... Usually they come out pretty well. Sometimes not though.

3. usually i just sit down with my rap book and start writing a song,like a verse or two than take a break,and come back later to finish it

but if im emotionally extreme at the moment i may sit just sit down and write a whole song chorus and all

i cant write music while im listening to music though...it just distracts me

4. i freestyle it.

5. you freestyle songs?

6. Get it? He's a rapper.:wave:

7. I don't rap I play acoustic guitar and sing alternative rock songs,I've only written a few songs since I only began writing my own music.

I just sit quietly and pluck at my guitar until I imagine a nice melody and try to replicate it,after I write the chords I write the lyrics which is a bit easier.

8. I write it down or keep it in my head. Then I build around it.

9. I have insomnia. I lay awake at night with my mind racing, the words flow with ease and I can't cease until I've created an epic masterpiece.

10. ive only written lyrics for one of my many musical numbers

and it was b/c i was very emotional, and felt like i needed to express it in some sort of art form

11. The only lyrics I've ever written were in a band type setting, so we always got the music down first. The lyrics were usually all coauthored by all of us and we wrote em down and jammed em into already written song. It was punk rock, it doesn't matter what you're saying, just that your pissed off.

12. I do the journal thing here, except when I'm writing the lyrics, I'll usually do it to some basic rhythm or melody in my head. Then I reread whatever I wrote figuring out what becomes a verse, chorus, etc. based on whatever tune I'm humming over top of it.

I'm a guitar player first and a lyricist second, so most of what I write down has some kind of music already thought out behind it.