POLL: Is legislation that bans books Constitutional?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sir Elliot, May 10, 2010.

1. Blades,

Simple question.

Do you believe that Congress has the authority to ban books?

Is banning books Constitutional?

And, finally, would you favor a law that banned bookss?

I look forward to your responses on this and some interesting discussion.

2. Yea, I think banning books falls under the general welfare clause.

3. Congress has the authority to do whatever it wants, that's why we're a Democracy.

I think you mean the Good & Welfare clause. Or is it the Good & Plenty clause? Ahh fuck, who cares what it says, it was written like a thousand years ago.

4. #4 H2O420, May 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
    Yes but I don't support it.

Isn't literature in the art category?

5. Depends.

For example educational books for use in school should be moderated and kept bullshit free. For example books saying the holocaust didn't happen should be banned for schools.

But apart from that, no.

6. I wouldn't even ban books that say the holocaust didn't happen.

All books are learning tools, I don't care what the fuck you say.

7. I would only ban them in schools. Teachers waste enough time denying evolution, without fucking up kids even more by denying the holocaust and replacing more facts with fiction.

8. I don't think that anywhere in the constitution there is a mention of book banning. However, I'm sure that a proper interpretation of some clause or another could be used as a justification for doing so.

Personally, I believe in the freedom of information. I used to work in a position where I had to make FOIA requests of government agencies on a fairly regular basis. In spite of the FOIA, I often encountered difficulty in getting the public information that I wanted. (especially if it were something like part of a study that wasn't completed, or evidence from cases that were tried involving academic misconduct at high levels.

I'm just glad we have the internet. Books and government information request forms are way overrated and pretty inefficient.

9. Of course schools are a different matter altogether.

I mean, in general, can Congress declare "book X" whatever that book may be, banned? For the entire country?

10. I wanna know why the "book of optics" has never been completely translated to English.

11. I don't think it is constitutional nor do I support it...

12. I think he is talking about certain books being banned from being issued to the public. I completely agree with you that some books need to be banned from schools, but no book should be banned from the public. Unless of course they reveal highly sensitive information such as restricted weapons and private info like bank accounts and such.

13. Is it Constitutional? Absolutly not, the text is crystal clear. Whether or not that will stop them is a completely different story..

14. #14 AHuman, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
    Don't know if it's Constitutional, I don't know your Constitution. But I should vehemently hope that it isn't, nobody (not the government, not anyone) should be able to dictate what we can and cannot read. If people don't want to read it or find it offensive, they don't have to open it and read it. Fuck, I don't even care if it's a morally shady book. It could be '101 Ways To Rape A Child', it wouldn't matter. If it's been written and published, then everyone has a right to be able to access it as far as I'm concerned. No, the government should never ban books.

15. No, I oppose censorship.

16. agreed^

just look at all the studies on marijuana our government has done.
    thier arent any?

what?!?!?!?!? why not....?

oh yea..cencorship.

17. Schaffer Commission

18. this is just 1....-_-

are you going to tell me that all the institutions have wanted to test marijuana have been aloud.

because if you believe they have then you sir are a tiny bit mislead.