Poll: 56% favor legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, May 23, 2012.

1. Poll: 56% favor legalization

Questions - Drug Legalization - May 12, 2012

47% Favor Legalizing Pot, Cocaine To Reduce Border Drug Violence
    11% Favor Legalizing, Regulating Cocaine
    52% Say States Should Be Allowed to Overrule Feds on Drug Approval
    58% Favor Selling Pot in Pharmacies Only
    56% Favor Legalizing, Regulating Marijuana
    See Toplines
    Platinum Page

National Survey of 1,000 Likely Voters
    Conducted May 12, 2012
    By Rasmussen Reports

1* Would you favor or oppose a law that bans the sale and consumption of

beer, wine, and all alcoholic beverages?

2* Should the government outlaw tobacco smoking?

3* Should it be a crime for people to smoke marijuana in their own home

or the home of a friend?

4* Would you favor or oppose legalizing marijuana and regulating it in

the similar manner to the way alcohol and tobacco cigarettes are

regulated today?

5* Suppose that marijuana was legalized and regulated so that it was

illegal for people under 18 to buy, that those who drove while under the

influence of marijuana received strict penalties, and that smoking

marijuana was banned in public places like restaurants. With such

regulations in place, would you favor or oppose legalizing and regulating

marijuana?

6* Suppose that, if marijuana was legalized and regulated, it could be

sold only in pharmacies. Drug dealers who sold marijuana on the street

would be subject to strict jail sentences. Would that reduce the number

of drug dealers in the country?

7* If marijuana was legalized and regulated, but could be sold only in

pharmacies, would you favor or oppose legalizing and regulating

marijuana?

8* If marijuana was legalized and could be sold only in pharmacies, would

the number of people under 18 who smoke marijuana increase or decrease?

9* Some people believe that if marijuana was legalized and regulated, it

would reduce gang violence and reduce income for organized crime groups.

How likely is it that legalizing and regulating marijuana would reduce

gang violence and reduce income for organized crime groups?

NEWSFLASH:politicians can't read polls unless they support what their owners want!

2. How much longer are we going to allow politicians to ignore the will of the people?

3. Not surprisingly, a long time.

4. Until we the people start actually talking with our votes, kicking them out and not letting them divide us with petty issues such as gay marriage, abortion and birth control.

5. not to be a debbie downer but polls don't always equate to votes. or california would have pot legal already with prop 19

6. If all the people who voted yes on the poll actually got out and voted on Prop 19, it would have passed. So, yes, the vote does matter.

7. #7 aPersonUponaHill, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    Actually when done correctly polls are a very accurate depiction of the population.

Interesting also because I just was playing a game and met a guy from my state who said he tried marijuana once in college and never again, and I brought up medical marijuana and he basically said screw that just legalize. We are getting very close, if we could just get the FDA on our side.

8. Sorry, but we have a lot more problems to get to. Lobbying from big pharma is not going to go away. Best way is to fight fire with fire. Have lobbyists for legalization, and in suites....not coloured dye shirts

9. Until a new generation of Americans come into office and throw all that archaic bullshit out the window, we need a young leader, not some old fart hypocrite ass licker.

10. ^^word homie.

You cant fool all the people all of the time; but if you fool the right ones, then the rest will fall in line. ~ Dead Prez

It's very comforting for me to see the progression of marijuana reform laws rather than the regression that has ruled over marijuana legislation in the past. It is a reminder that the general public are not entirely media driven idiots and that times are finally changing.

I also find it somewhat surprising just how quickly new reform laws are picking up pace. I remember hitting a bong on a balcony with my buddy about 3 years back, saying "fuck man, I can't wait until weed is legal" and my buddy laughing his ass off. I had just begun to look into marijuana prohibition at the time, and my friend had yet to do so. Due to the various illegitimate sources that lead to marijuana prohibition, I had just realized at the time that there was no real foundation for the prohibition in the first place and the movements support and legitimization was powered by deception and ignorance. For this reason alone, I felt at the time that marijuana's legalization would be inevitable.

As people start to realize that the prohibition is just propaganda and that they've been lied to for many, many years (as I had), reform laws will gain more legitimacy and legalization will follow. I still believe we are a few years from achieving this, but it is inevitable. I can see medicinal being full blown in the next 2-5 years, and recreational in the next 4-10 years. I believe this is ambitious, but I also believe my generation will not allow this prohibition to stick around much longer.

As long as I can LEGALLY smoke weed at least once in my life, I'll die a happy man. :bongin:

11. ""As people start to realize that the prohibition is just propaganda and that they've been lied to for many, many years (as I had), reform laws will gain more legitimacy and legalization will follow.""

It is starting to happen quicker but still seems like a snails pace,,attitudes and curiosity are starting to set in with more of the baby boomers,,a lot that smoked as college students and settled into family raising,working and life,,now retiring and looking back,,kids all gone,,,arthur visiting at the slightest cooling,,tweaks and cramps in the legs that have walked thousands of miles and a blood pressure machine as part of your medical gear,,all problems that NORML's Silver Tour is addressing going to rest homes and retirement centers to introduce the possible relief of a lot of the geriatric issues we will all face someday,,yup,,it's happening little faster every time another state decriminalizes or legalizes mmj,,,now we just need congress to have an emergency joint session and get-er-done.

12. I'm thinkin maybe a bong session instead.