political philosophy of Jesus

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Quanzy, Jul 16, 2011.

1. would Jesus be more liberal or conservative? or is it blasphemy to assert one way or the other?

2. Jesus came to expose the corruption of the government of his time...what we have now is similar. He'd say fuck conservatives and liberals, follow God, not politicians.

• Like Like x 1
  3. do you think Jesus exposed the corruption of government or the corruption of Judaism? After all the area was under control of the Romans and Jesus never spoke against the Roman rule that I know of.

4. Jesus exposed corruption in organised glorification whether it be religion or politics. Jesus message is a personal message understood as we ourselves should understand not how we are taught.

5. Imagine how hard it is to validate what someone said today. Imagine modern court cases, and the difficulty juries have to decide on the truth. Now consider that everything written about Jesus that we 'know' today was written decades after his death.

6. I have never heard that understanding of Jesus' teachings. I always got more of the treat your neighbor as yourself type stuff from Jesus, which I associate with Liberal thought. He certainly had problems with Jewish traditions and rituals that made the Jews limit their ability to love one another, but where does Jesus expose the corruption of organized glorification of religion or politics specifically to you?

7. true that, not to mention the editings and reorderings and what not done for hundreds of years after Jesus died as well.

8. It wasnt only about the roman empire or jews. His message opened the eyes of the people and gave people faith...the roman empire ruled peoples mind and Jesus took away that power. Just like we have now, the government/media/politics is ruling peoples mind.

9. Would you agree that Jesus awoke people to "the secret" then, that we have free minds and we create our realities through our thoughts? OR is "the secret" not consistent with Jesus' teachings?

10. I dont know much about "the secret"

creating our reality by our thoughts can be too many different things.

11. Well put. It reminds me of this standup by David Cross:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOqHHE4upY]‪David Cross - The Bible‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

12. its pretty new age-ish. But the idea is that good thoughts attract good things, the law of attaction. Keeping control of our minds, not letting religion or politics control it. Not letting people seen as superior to ourselves in thought control our minds. You mind find it interesting, some people believe that Jesus knew "the secret" and attempted to teach it.

13. Sounds like common sense really. Good thoughts/good actions result in good things...i'm sure there is more to it. I'm not discrediting it or anything.

14. Jesus was the first communist

[​IMG]

15. I think it is very interesting that so many very Christian people don't understand this perspective. I mean the early church is the model for a communist community. Compile the wealth of everyone in the church and whatnot, but were those principles to be applied to states?

16. Jesus was against the early church and most organized religion altogether. He didn't want people to give to their church, he wanted them to give to THEIR NEIGHBOR. "Do this unto the least of you, and you do it unto me".

The church =/ Jesus

17. so you interpret Jesus to be a Liberal then?

18. He had liberal views, but I don't think he would be a liberal/democrat politically. He wouldn't define himself with such labels.

The liberal philosophy today is tax as many people as much as you can, so the government can decide what to do with the money you earned.

Jesus philosophy is to be generous with what you have, and help those who have less than you.

So his views are similar to that of a liberal, but certainly not without their differences.

19. yeah, good response. I pretty much agree with you, but I think Jesus would vote and advocate voting. He also chilled with tax collectors and prostitutes so no way would Jesus be against taxation or prostitution as so many Americanized Christians believe trying to make laws that parent U.S. citizens, and trying to lower the tax rates lower than the already very low tax rates (Lower than under Reagan even who is the Christian Conservative President of all Presidents)