Political advertising on a "Fair and Balanced" new organization?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chiefton8, Jan 10, 2010.

1. #1 chiefton8, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
    Is advertising for a politically biased group an appropriate thing to do for a news organization that advertisers itself as "Fair and Balanced"??

Since so many blades in this forum find it necessary to point out as much media bias as possible, I can only assume this should be greeted with the same opposition...

[​IMG].

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't know who CPR is so I don't know if they have an ulterior motive. But I'm biased towards citizens rights too.

3. I lol'd.

^It's not about rights, its that a news organization that claims to be fair and balanced has an advertisment for a petition against government run health care, which is neither fair nor balanced.

4. Would we be applauding them if it was a petition "Cannabis smokers rights"?

5. capitalism in action, fellas

6. That's not the point, a news station shouldn't take a side on a political stance. Even thought they all do.

7. They have a right to take any political stance they want just as we viewers have a right to recognize their bias and choose to use another source for our news.

8. But then why are they allowed to use the title 'Fair & Balanced'?

9. Why shouldn't they be? Perhaps they truly believe they are Fair and Balanced. You don't believe everything you see on the TV just because it's on the TV, do you?

10. No, but imagine all the hell the conservatives would raise if MSNBC titled themselves 'fair and balanced'.

11. What's the big deal?

They make money by selling advertising.

And they sold some advertising.

In other news, sky still blue.

I'm not getting what the big deal is?

12. We wouldn't.

It would require watching MSNBC to find out, and we won't do that.

Fox's 3 AM show "Red Eye" (which is a damn funny show, btw) gets higher ratings than MSNBC's prime time shows.

MSNBC is irrelevent.

13. Then they're not fair and balanced if they take a political stance (side). That's called bias.

It's false advertising, but I suppose it wouldn't been seen that way since Rupert Murdoch owns the network and it's a news channel, and people wouldn't be able to comprehend what is 'fair and balanced' since they're all biased.

lol, so it really doesn't matter I guess. :smoke: It's technically-not-but-is-false advertising.

14. #14 Shade, Jan 10, 2010
    It's not false advertising.

They say they're fair and balanced. That's their assertion. Their opinion. Their contention. They aren't violating your rights by advocating this, nor are they defrauding you by doing so. As you retain the right to disagree, ignore, change the channel, go to a different website, etc.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not at all suggesting that Fox is fair or balanced. In fact, I often take issue with Fox and MSM in general due to their blatant bias on a lot of issues.

15. Would not have a problem with this..
    Its says Advertisment clearly on it..

But worth pointing out because certain other people here would be jumping and screaming if this was the other way round...

16. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fair and Balanced - What it used to mean.

17. #17 chiefton8, Jan 10, 2010
    Really, conservatives wouldn't?? I do believe this forum is flooded with Dronetek's (and other's) posts everytime they find liberal bias in the MSM. Do I need to link every one of them? You just don't care because you agree with it in this particular case.

Even you can't be this naive. You know they chose exactly what to advertise and when to advertise it. :rolleyes:

18. Yes, that's what 'technically-not-but-is' means. :p

19. I'm really not understanding the issue here.

Fox stays in business by selling advertising. Anyone with the cash and the interest can (and does) advertise on Fox and their website.

Liberal groups sometimes do it too, though generally they don't because the ad is less likely to produced the desired result due to demographics.

MSNBC's front page has ads on it too.

MSNBC has commercials too.

Any political group is free to advertise with either network. When networks reject ads it generally is a news making event because it's so rare. Like when the SuperBowl refused to air a pro-life ad.

Seriously, what's the big deal?