Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

"police" spinoff-driving while intoxicated

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by puffpuffere, Jan 17, 2009.

1. I was reading a thread about being harrassed by the police for smoking in a park. On that thread, there was a lot of conversation about driving while "intoxicated" from marijuana. I thought I would give the conversation it's own thread.
    I, personally, have been driving while high since before I even had my driver's license. That makes it about 35 years. The only accident I have ever been in was when I was parked and my car was smashed up by a drunk driver. I am much more aware of my surroundings when I'm driving high. I also drive much more defensively when high. I can remember 2 occasions where I was extremely high and would not drive until I came down a bit, which was only about half an hour. I think if a person is too high to drive, they normally know it and don't drive. I am also a drinker and have been since prior to having my license. I have even gone through heavy alcohol use several time periods in my life. I have NEVER and will never drive after drinking, even just one drink. I also will not drive after taking any meds that effect my driving in a negative way.
    Keep in mind, it is possible to be too high to drive, especially if you are a casual user or new user. I just feel a person will know if they are too high to drive and the majority will wait till they come down a bit.

2. I'm glad somebody finally started a thread on such an important subject. There should be studies done on this or something, although of course anyone who has smoked (and driven) knows it is NOTHING like being intoxicated from alcohol, in where one actually loses hand/eye coordination.

On the other hand, weed makes you a lot more cautious of a driver and pay attention to your surroundings. When I used to drive around high I'd have my eyes all over the place, even to the point where I could pay attention to other driver's faces as they drove by haha but that's not really important. My eyes were all over the place and I've never got into an accident because of it.

3. yeah man, i agree with driving while your blazed but not drunk or anything or on anythin else. im addition to possible crashing i wouldnt want to get a DUI ...dad has 2 already anyway hahahaha

and yes... you should make sure your not 'too high' if you can still get that high :p

4. "Paranoia mixed with concentration"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3zou4F00Ic"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3zou4F00Ic[/ame]

5. hey guys. im a habitual smoker and have been for a while. i too drive while im high, but i must say this. i still dont think its right. it IS still a head-change from normal circumstances. I know exactly what you mean by alcohol intoxication being completely different and not as bad. but your head is still effected by it. judgement is therefore impaired reflected behind the wheel. I think it's fair for that to be just as illegal, but that doesn't mean im done doing it. hahahaha

6. I find that i drive much safer when high. I have more patiece and I'm not in such a rush to get where I'm going. When I'm high I'm more inclined to stop at the yellow light rather than accelerating through it and things of that nature. I do beleive that new heads who still get extremely skeed should not drive until they come down a bit but anyone with any experience is fine to drive.

7. I agree...100%, even though I drive too.lol I don't think it's nearly as dangerous as talking on a cell while driving, but when you're operating a 2500lb (or more) hunk of steel at a high rate of speed, I think you need your faculties about you.... unless you have a SCCA license....or you drive 20mph.

8. It soesnt matter whether you drive high or not. If you are a patient and have smoked in the past month and are in an accident, and then tested, you WILL be charged, Thats why my doc gives a marinol prescription. Get two pills and then throw away. Keep the bottle. If you are charged, present the bottle. It is a scam to test past mariquana use. You likely cant get a job either.

9. I hate driving. It takes away my faith in humanity. Like watching a mob attack someone. Or the internet.

Driving to me is like fighting. Mostly because people try and attack me or otherwise create a dangerous situation by being jackasses. I *hate* the fact that so few people accellerate at their own pace. I'm either going too slow (they're behind me) or too fast (they've infront of me). I've learned to let that go.

I also hate how despite going five over the speed limit everywhere and rarely slowing down for simple, easy curves that you wouldn't have to slow down for if you turned the steering wheel more than an inch to either side, people still manage to plant themselves twenty feet from my bumper and sit there. Until there's a curve. And then they just speed up and sit there again. That still bothers me a bit.

What I really hate is how people like to try and "protect their lane" or whatever by speeding up just enough to sit in your blind spot after you pass them.

I just have a question for anybody that does this and has actually had somebody cut them off, slam on their brakes, and get out the car with a crowbar. I know you crap your pants after your little game becomes real, but does it make any sort of lasting effect? I like to think that even though your parents couldn't raise you to not be a moron, those few moments were a positive growth experience for you. Especially you hundred pound chics with your oversized glasses thinking you're a bad ass because you're in a car now.

That said, I never drive sober anymore. It's the only way I can not take offense to just how retarded people are.

10. off-topic rant much?

11. All studies are irrelevant to the courts.

I once got a DUI for driving under the influence of drugs, after the tests from my urine test came back from the police station. I passed all "sobriety" tests and had nothing on me, other than "paraphernalia" like Visine and an empty film canister, my red eyes, and the reek of diesel in my car. Still arrested, charged for paraphernalia until my test came back and they switched it to DUI. Be safe kids.

12. Yeah, driving high really is not bad. I've driven high a lot and know people who have also, and it's fine.

13. i remember watching a documentary where a woman tries bud 2 see what it does to her. they have her complete a driving course where cardboard things pop up and u have to swerve and miss them. She tried it when she was sober and she swerved everything. THen she tried it drunk and she hit everything. But after she smoked bud, instead of swerving she just STOPPED. LMAO, she just slammed on the brakes. it was funny as hell. i think that stopping is better than swerving, LOL, so she drives more carefully when shes high, meaning she doesnt listen to others telling her to swerve, she does what she thinks is right and she just hits the brakes..
    LMMAAAAOOOO i was ROOLLLLIIINNNNGGG when i saw that.
    OL

14. I saw that same doc, and it was full of misinformation. First off, that person hadn't been smoking for very long at all, so of course she did poorly on the course.

I do NOT advocate using MJ and driving. That said, I'm a hypocrite because I do it all the time. Then again I have two decades of medicating under me, and like others said, I feel like I'm a better driver because I'm medicated.

There have been times where I refused to drive because I was too medicated, but those are rare. It's about knowing your own body and tolerance levels, and if you have the slightest feeling that you can't drive safely, then don't do it.

15. The important aspect of stoned driving is people forget that just because they can do it, they think everyone should be able to do it without a problem.

There is no way to dispute the fact that stoned driving is MUCH safer than drunk driving.

I try and keep my stoned driving minimal. I just don't agree with it and if it were legalized I would most definitely obey the law regarding stoned driving.

Weed affects everyone differently. If you are blazed out of your mind, you shouldn't be driving. Therefor, the only solution if weed were legalized is to make stoned driving illegal. With as many accidents that people almost cause every single day from simple distractions I don't think we need to throw being stoned on top of that.

I've only met a couple people in my life who I actually think drive better when stoned. I think that the majority of people would not drive better or more cautiously.