Police helicopters

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by chuydmt, Mar 26, 2010.

1. I wasnt too sure where to post this but here it goes...
    so i started growing about two months ago in my back yard so far i have about 3 plants its just a little expirament. well anyway my question is someone was telling me about watching out for police helicopters cuz i guess they have cameras that can spot weed plants but i was wondering with just having 3 will it be noticeable by any helicopters and such

2. get a rpg that will save you ;)

you should be good kinda hard to see 3 plant from a heilcoptor

there kinda loooking for big bust like 30 plant +

3. haha that would be freakin sweet
    and ya dont get me wrong im no retard or anything i kinda figured that,
    but people are all telling me about how they have these cameras that make the
    plants glow in the dark so they can spot them easy. idk its my first grow and i just got caught up with weed i just rather be safe then sorry

4. If the Cops were to bust 3 plants that would be an aweful waste of taxpayers money. I would Say you have Absolutly NOTHING to worry about. When growing outside, especially big crops you want to make sure you dont plant all you plants together. For example dont have a big field of pot plants planted in rows. Its a dead give away.If you can all ways spread them out ramdomly. 2 here 3 over there 5 down there 1 here and so on. What they look for is Fields or rows or groups of plants. thats how they get you. No cameras pick up pot. If possible use other plants and trees as camoflauge. Just be sure that what ever your using for cover doesnt block the sun. Atleast to much maybe for just a little bit in the morning or very late afternoon if any at all.

5. BEWARE of bad advice:rolleyes:

The camera you heard about is a thermal camera, that's why the plants seem to glow......and they're GOOD, they can spot ONE plant in a freakin' field of corn:eek: The cameras they use on the choppers that overfly my legal MedMJ grow can read the freakin' script I have to post in the garden.
    So it really depends on just how tough the Drug enforcement is in your area, Here I've known people who have been popped for just a couple, but most are busted for having too many.
    If illegal, indoors is the safest choice if possible:D;):smoking::smoking:

Good Luck Bro Blade:smoking:

6. were the plants on public land, in their backyard, or indoors?

7. #7 grow2school, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
    The real deal. Cops swarming in on a grower just chopping his trees. Watch his full series...it's pretty effen awesome. If you can't stand the suspense start the video at 4 min. ...that's where the cops show up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPRFObDjCE&feature=related]YouTube - Prohibition Episode10[/ame]

And the guy that sad you have absolutely nothing to worry about ... that's not true. It's just unlikely you will get busted. And yes they can spot cannabis plants using thermal vision because they are much warmer than surrounding plants. It's pretty easy for them to spot.

8. Both on public land(which is illegal even with script:rolleyes:), and in Backyards w/and without scripts. Scripted busts were overgrows :(

9. How many plants were they growing on public land? did they set up cameras or have a stake out, or what?

..yeah, gotta love the warrior.

10. Well ive heard of thermal imaging for Grow Ops Picking up the heat of the Indoor lights and equipment. But never heard of a Thermal Imaging System That can tell pot from other plants. I find it hard to believe that If you put a pot plant next to A Fern Plant Or a young Pine or ceder tree that the pot plant would give off anymore heat. People also think that helicopters can use there thermal imaging to see the heat through your walls of your house and find your indoor grow. which is the furthest thing from the truth. All there thermal Imaging does is picks up excess amounts of heat being Displaced into the air. So if it the middle of winter and your the only guy that doesnt have snow on your roof, guess what your getting busted. But then again i live in British Columbia Canada what do I know. Things may be different where your from. And reguardless of what they have and what they dont, You break the law thats the chance you take.

11. No, thermal imaging doesn't see through walls...you are correct.

BUT, they can spot pot plants. That is how they find gardens. Not a big secret. Cannabis plants have a much warmer temperature than most plants, and thermal imaging can see that.

Just because "you never heard of that" doesn't mean squat.

12. Correct. Thermal imaging cams are used for spotting indoor grows and are nowhere near as widely used as you might think. Cannabis plants arent any hotter than any other plant as far as I know. I would like to see evidence of it if they are.

13. Well, i'm getting my information from friends in BC who have been battling these cameras for years. And a television program I saw probably some time around 1999 or 2000.

I don't remember anything about the program except the scene with the helicopter. DEA is up there with the camera people and the agent shows the image to the camera. With that image you could clearly see it was cannabis.

Now, I've been told it's because the plants give off a unique heat signature. I've also been told that the leaves reflect starlight in a unique way.

Either way, it is real that they use this technology. I've got noo clue just how effective it is though.

I tried to find some information cause it is real. I found this which looks to be written long ago.

Abstract

Successful detection of outdoor illegal Cannabis cultivation with remote sensing would be of considerable help to law enforcement agencies. Current methods of detecting Cannabis cultivation by aerial spotters emphasize indicators such as landscape alteration, presence of

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT] cultivation materials, and Cannabis color. It is assumed that remote sensing will rely on the spectral signatures of Cannabis plant canopies as the primary indicator. The complex nature of Cannabis spectral reflectance signatures has been examined using laboratory, field and airborne measurements. Results thus far include: 1) leaf and canopy spectral reflectance of Cannabis exhibit characteristics of other green plants, 2) nadir spectral signatures do not have stable, unique absorption features suitable for a reference signature, 3) the "emerald green" (blue-green) color of Cannabis results from specular reflectance of blue sky light and small particle scattering from microscopic structures on the surface of Cannabis leaves, 4) spectral contrast between Cannabis and other plant canopies appears most significant for green, red edge and short wave infrared wavelengths, 5) spectral contrasts between Cannabis and tree species appear greater than spectral differences with other herbaceous species, 6) isolation of Cannabis canopy spectral signatures during land cover classification may be difficult using visible-near infrared systems, and 7) researchers investigating detection technologies must be kept aware of the trends of growers to conceal sites. Analysis of the essential elements of information associated with illegal Cannabis cultivation offers other possibilities for detection with remote sensing. Thus, the spectral signatures of multiple indicators and image textural content warrants further investigation. Ultimately, remote sensing will be most effective when used with a probability-of-occurrence/Cannabis cultivation site prediction model from the Counter Drug – Geographical Regional Assessment Sensor System (CD-GRASS).

14. Yes, I've heard of the spectral cams, but I also read on one article they were ridiculously expensive and most states can't afford them. These days states are picking up most of the tab for aerial surveillance. Do a quick search in your state to see how many chopper busts you can find. Unless you live in the Northwest, cali, or Kentucky its not terribly common--but of course the risk is still there. Last year there want a single one of these busts in my state--at least not one that ever made the news and news like that is big here.

..and unless they have one of these devices, the chances of finding your crop from the air--a small, well space crop anyway--is slim. every year I show my dad my crop when its almost finished. I walk him toward the area and tell him to look real hard and tell me when he sees them. It always surprises me that we're never more than a few feet from them when he sees. A lot depends also on your terrain. Hiding plant within the native foliage is real artform.

as always though--better safe than sorry--just so long as you dont let paranoia keep you from planting at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Abstract

Successful detection of outdoor illegal Cannabis cultivation with remote sensing would be of considerable help to law enforcement agencies. Current methods of detecting Cannabis cultivation by aerial spotters emphasize indicators such as landscape alteration, presence of

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT] cultivation materials, and Cannabis color. It is assumed that remote sensing will rely on the spectral signatures of Cannabis plant canopies as the primary indicator. The complex nature of Cannabis spectral reflectance signatures has been examined using laboratory, field and airborne measurements. Results thus far include: 1) leaf and canopy spectral reflectance of Cannabis exhibit characteristics of other green plants, 2) nadir spectral signatures do not have stable, unique absorption features suitable for a reference signature, 3) the "emerald green" (blue-green) color of Cannabis results from specular reflectance of blue sky light and small particle scattering from microscopic structures on the surface of Cannabis leaves, 4) spectral contrast between Cannabis and other plant canopies appears most significant for green, red edge and short wave infrared wavelengths, 5) spectral contrasts between Cannabis and tree species appear greater than spectral differences with other herbaceous species, 6) isolation of Cannabis canopy spectral signatures during land cover classification may be difficult using visible-near infrared systems, and 7) researchers investigating detection technologies must be kept aware of the trends of growers to conceal sites. Analysis of the essential elements of information associated with illegal Cannabis cultivation offers other possibilities for detection with remote sensing. Thus, the spectral signatures of multiple indicators and image textural content warrants further investigation. Ultimately, remote sensing will be most effective when used with a probability-of-occurrence/Cannabis cultivation site prediction model from the Counter Drug – Geographical Regional Assessment Sensor System (CD-GRASS).[/QUOTE]

Nice find-

16. Yes. It's a bit of a needle in a haystack without intelligence to back up a high likelihood of the plants being present.

17. Well i live in phoenix az if that makes any difference and like i said i only have about three plants and they're not even in direct sunlight, regardless they are growing pretty ok i dont expect much seeing as how its my first grow. its sort of just an expirament since i cant smoke at the moment and theyre sort of in a corner on the side of my house. the next door neighbors have a big orange tree pretty much right next to it and they would only really be visible in seen from directly above ill try to post some pics to give you a general idea

18. I wouldn't worry bout it much man. I assume it's unlikely one or two plants is gonna get spotted. I've seen several journals with people doing just what your attempting with success. They just sorta blend right in to everything else. Biggest concern for me would be odor. GL man

19. I did a little research this weekend and alot of it has to do with the pores of a marijuana plant. Marijuana plants sweat through pours these cameras pick up the heat signatures the plants let off..... BUT the pours are affected by ambient heat. The pours of a marijuana plant work the best between 25 to 30 degrees at 35 degrees they stop working alltogether. And thats not to say that 35 degrees and over and you wont get bud, it just wont be as good as it could be. Thats why in certain places in BC where its average high in the summer 35 to 40 degrees those thermal imaging cameras are useless. Which means the last line of defence is to just fly around in a helicopter and look. To them i would say good luck, but they probably wouldnt have much. Or the cops could hike through the bush and try and find them, but again with not much luck.Thats why here in bc the cops stick to busting indoor grows because there are so many outdoor grows and they are so well hidden, they dont have the TIME, MONEY, or resourses And from what i hear they are NO LONGER using thermal imaging cameras here as they were considered an invasion of privacy. What they are cracking down on now is hydro theft. They can look at and area of a town or citys enerygy consumption find what areas using the most, usually they can get it with in a city block. From there they actually go from house to house untill they find it.

20. :^) that's about the funniest post I've read in a long time.