Polarization and loss of moderate voice

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Partyboobs, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Are there any other moderates or centrists like me that feel a little shut out of political/policy dicussions because they don't support 100% of either side? I find if you try to do the rational thing and actual listen to both sides of an issue and compromise you end up having everyone attack you.

Anyways, I like to think everything would run smoother if everyone treated everyone else with some respect instead of both sides yelling back and forth about who is dumber. End rant :roflmao:

2. I agree. Reasonable discourse is easily able to be had if people actually wanted it. Most people are moderate or have mixed views, they are simply jaded because the focus goes on the loud fringe voices. That shouldn't discourage you though. Here's a quote from Christopher Hitchens I always enjoyed, "my own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line, and kiss my ass."

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Good ol' Hitch!

I think it is great not being one side or the other, I feel I can have more meaningful discussions without being disregarded as "the other side".

It is sad that people argue one side or the other when those two sides are solely responsible for the continued slide into poverty, corruption, waste, warmongering, etc.

People are to easily guided into prefabricated positions and in my opinion that is an indication of mental midgetry. I hate to sound haughty or pompous, people can think little of me but I have solace in that I truly put in the work in forming my positions.

I disagree with @nativetongues about 35% of the time but I still respect him because I can tell he has also put in his due diligence in forming his position.

And from the few posts of yours I have seen OP, you are gaining my respect too. Much respect to @Lenny. too

You guys are among the relative few who give me hope!

• Like Like x 1