Pointy Side Down, Right?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by case22, Feb 14, 2012.

1. as the title says, when I put a seed in rockwool, I put the pointy side down, correct?

I just dont want to mess up a very simple step, its pointy on one end, but a little white on the other... anyhow... it goes like this, right?

[​IMG]

2. Thats correct, it will sort its self out though if plant it the other way :smoke:

3. Awesome, I feel kind of ridiculous for asking, but I just wanted to make sure I sis not start off on the wrong foot.

Good to know that it can right its self too.

Also, I'm giving my little girl darkness until I see her head poke up, then switching to a 26w CFL, how far should I distance it, I don't want to stress her too bad, I was thinking like 6 inches, or should I start further away or with a lower watt bulb?

4. You can have the cfls as close as 2" from the seedling.

5. Yes get the CFL as close as temps will allow :smoke: You could use more light.

6. Yeah u definatly need more power. Iv got 205 watt for 2 plants an iv been told tht thats just about enough

7. I'm going to bump it up to 2: 42w and 2: 26w, I just dont want to go balls to the wall on the first day, or do you all think that is fine?

8. As far as i know its fine. As soon as you got leaves then the more light the better and the closer the better also. Mine usually stay bout 6 inch away but some people hav them much closer, even from seedling

9. Pointy side goes up, not down.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grt illustration....did u do that?

11. Yeah, illustration was mine.

But damn, I put her in pointy side down, its not that far down, so I guess I could fish it out.

I soaked it in a cup for 12 hrs, then put it in point down earlier today.

12. How so? The Taproot comes out of the pointy end.

You want it to push the seed up :smoke:

13. I just drop them into the cube & they do indeed sort themselves out. The root & sprout will change direction inside of the cube if they're the wrong way.
    Cheers

14. Yeah man your at about the minimum im running almost 400w of cfl's on 1 plant and she could take alot more.

15. Seeds aren't retarded... They grow in nature in all sorts of ways. Even without being put in a cute little hole made just for them.

Just pop um in!

16. That's good for a week just add more as she get's bigger and keep them as close as u can without em burnin after she's big enough to handle it i've got mine like an inch away. But a seedling would be fine for a few days with what u got about 4" away.

17. We were singing a song about seedlings in the 2nd grade last week- how "the root always knows, which way it goes"! And it does! Geotropism wins out, no matter which way you plant a seed!

The way I figure it...drop the seed on a flat surface. How did it land? THAT is how nature does it! Mama Nature isn't fussy about which way a seed goes into the earth and neither am I. I just pop sprouted seeds (paper towel method) into some nice pre-microwaved soil (kills the "damping off" spores) and tell them "Grow!".

Granny

18. Hm, I was under the impression that the "rule of thumb" was 100w per plant, I thought I was playing it safe with 136w, I'm only growing the one auto, since there is a posibility I am moving in June.

Well now that I think about it, I could probably get a full cycle in with the NL before then... hmmmmmm.