Please Tell Me What You Think of This LST Idea

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by washmo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hey everyone,

I remember seeing this method somewhere (I think it was in a High Times Mag), but has anyone tried this or something similar?

I am preparing a clone for this method. It looks very effective and efficient.

What do y'all think?

I drew this sketch pretty quick and from memory, but I hope it's clear and concise. Let me know if there is anything unclear.

:smoke:

Attached Files:

2. It may work, but make sure you top the plant so you get multiple medium sized main stalks. Anytime you LST a branch vertical, it will grow similar to what you drew.

Let me know how it works, there will be alot more foliage than you think tho.

3. if you're gonna train them to grow horizontally, then there is no need to top.

4. Thanks callmesmksha! I def keep you posted!

5. Well you wouldn't have to top if you wanted it to grow one direction horizontally, but if you wanted the plant to have two main stalks, you'd have to clip it at a node. Right?

Here I drew another pic to show what I'm talking about. Hopefully it will help. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

Attached Files:

6. you got it. Top it once, exactly like your picture shows, and you'll be able to have one branch in each direction, thus achieving what your first picture shows.

7. or you could use 2 plants. topping slows things down for a bit. with a scrog, you can steer the top to grow in one direction, then anothr until the screen is ready for flower. you can also fim, and get multiple tops. i've seen a guy here that trained his plant in a circle. the branches grow out in all directions, making topping unnecessarily really, lol.....

8. there are people on here that top multiple times (3 or more) i personally only top a plant twice to get the shape that i want, i typically do a 4-5 way LST. the plant i am currently growing has been topped twice, and are lst'd in basically a big X, although there are 8 individual growth sites the 4 largest branches are in the X and the smaller growth sites are positioned into the opening to get more light. like growbot stated, you could also go with a screen and get basically the same results.

one thing i want to sort of clarify is the fact that there is little to no difference between topping and fimming.. both methods remove new plant growth in order to stack the already forming new growth even closer together. if you have a proper setup you should see new growth in 2-3 days. i personally like to give my plants at least 2 weeks between toppings simply to let the plant recoup from the initial stress of literally having a limb cut off. after the 2nd topping you should literally see almost an explosion of new growth.

9. i beg to differ, lol. topping will only give you 2 tops. fimming can give many tops if done correctly. that is a "big" difference in my book...