Please stop deleting threads.

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by slippeh, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3 pages worth of threads and discussions were deleted for being in the wrong forum. How does this benefit anyone? Not only do we no longer get to read the threads and replies, we get to see a bunch of 'thread deleted' messages that a) clutter up the board, and b) bump all the valid topics off the page.

I fully understand that there are specific forums for specific purposes. But there has to be a better way of doing this shit. Just move the thread. Done. No clutter, no mess, all the threads are in the right place, and the discussion is kept alive. And it's _just_ as easy as deleting. I really am unable to comprehend the logic behind deleting every single thread that is in the wrong forum.

2. Yeah I can tell you how: By following posting rules everybody is committing to when signing up on this site.

No clutter, no mess, all the threads are in the right place, and the discussion is kept alive.

:)

.​

3. Perhaps the people you should be giving feedback to are not the people doing their jobs by enforcing the rules, but those who know the rules and break them purposefully or who are inexcusibly ignorant of said rules.

Food for thought.

By the way- Moving the threads is NOT as easy as deleting them. For each section where threads need to be moved, certain actions must be taken. So your argument that it is just as easy does not hold weight either.

4. Just for the sake of accuracy, I want to point out that it's much easier to mass delete threads than to move them to the appropriate forum. Unless all the threads are going into the same forum, you have to do it one by one. All it takes to delete them all is to click on the little check box next to the threads and selecting "delete all" at the bottom. :eek:

Also, mods can only move threads if they have permission in both the first forum and the destination forum. Not all of our mods are super cool super mods like me with permissions in all forums. :cool:

5. #5 slippeh, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
    I know. Believe me, I see where you guys are coming from. But can't you see where I am coming from? A forum of this size will always have threads posted in the wrong forum. Always. It's just the inherent nature of the Internet and web forums. Not everyone takes the time to read the forum descriptions or they know which forum to post in, but also know which forums get the most views. Neither situation is ideal, but it will always continue to happen. The current method of dealing with these threads hurt the board more than the threads being posted in the wrong forum. Well, in my opinion. I'd much rather read 30 threads with meaningful discussions and worthwhile posts that just happen to be in the wrong forum than open a forum and see 30 threads that can't be read and are just deleted, taking up space.

Is there any reason why moving is not used? It is the same amount of work. Well, not 100% the same, you may have to click twice instead of once, but it takes little effort.

/edit the same way you can click all the ones you want to delete, you can click all the ones which need to be moved to a specific forum and move them.

It just pains me to see a 2-3 page thread which had interesting discussion and worthwhile posts just get sent down the tubes because it's in the wrong forum. Only to be replaced by a useless row of text.

Ideally everyone would post in the proper forums.. but it just won't happen.

(I actually haven't had to moderate a web forum in awhile, so if I'm wrong in what I'm saying about phpBB or IPB or whatever forum this uses feel free to educate me)

6. Does that help? Trikky is not a super mod. He doesn't have permission in every forum.

Believe me, I know that RMJL and trikky don't like deleting threads. But there are warnings that it can and does happen. If people can't post in the right forum and are determined to give us more work, what else can we do?

7. Should Hempress stop deleting sigs just because people are inevitably going to use sigs that are breaking our sig rules? I just don't understand logic that says that we should change because other people are doing the wrong thing.

8. As my Dad used to say: "It's always easier to step down than to step up!"

9. #9 slippeh, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
    Apples and oranges. Deleting sigs which break the rules does not deter from the overall quality of the board, infact it helps it.

If this lose-lose situation is the best case scenario, there is nothing more I can offer here. My feedback has been provided. I suppose I'll just prevent myself from posting in threads where I fear it will be deleted, as to not get involved in any meaningful discussion which will be ended prematurely.

/edit

You misunderstand me. I understand the rules and I post in the appropriate forums. Other members who do not post in the appropriate forums still generate meaningful conversation in those threads. Unfortunately once that meaningful conversation has been going on for awhile the thread gets deleted, and thus all of it is lost and I'm left feeling like "wow I just wasted a shitload of my time."

There is no "everyone wins 100%" scenario here, I'm just trying to provide feedback to keep forums from having 40-60% of the threads being nothing but useless clutter.

10. OP there's no reason having to live in fear, just read this: Grasscity Forum Rules and all your life threatening problems are solved!

:)

11. i personaly think there should be more deleted threads, lol.

ppl should just follow rules, this shouldn't be a issue. I wouldnt be offended if a thread of mine was deleted.

most the time i do delete the threads i start after a month or so unless it has usefull info for others.

12. I understand what you're saying man. You asked for our feedback and we gave it to you. I'm sorr it's not what you were hoping for, but it's been our policy for quite some time, and will continue to be for the forseeable future.

Keep up the good posting, man. We always appreciate feedback.

13. I got an idea, why don't we get rid of half of the sections? There's a section for everything and most of them get hardly any traffic.

14. As the forum grows, so will the traffic in those sections.

15. I think they'd get more traffic if people actually started posting correctly. :) They're also new, give them time.

16. My question to you is this: has this policy been effective?

ps: thanks for the light green bar The Hempress :hello::smoke:

17. More effective than moving threads. Never made anyone care enough to post correctly.

18. Ah. Well, I guess this is the best venue to go down then. I'll shaddap now :D

19. I'm glad you brought these points up, though. It's good to let everyone know why things go the way they do around here. I promise we consider our actions and all of your suggestions carefully.

20. The only forum where we are really doing the deleting is Recreational Marijuana Use and there are stickies in that forum warning that threads will be deleted.

I think it's helped to delete them rather than move them because people start getting pissed off about it and start finally posting in the correct forums. It's just common courtesy to post in the appropriate forum. If all members could do that, then all forums would get a significant amount of traffic.

The members need to do their part by posting in the appropriate forums and if they can't do something so simple as that, then they deserve to lose a thread or two, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.