Please recommend me a strain for my climate!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jayyyb, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Hello everyone.

I'm having trouble deciding on a suitable strain.

I'm lucky to be in a fairly remote mountainous area, I'll be planting approximately 250m up outdoors.

We have a normal mild warm spring, but then a very rainy very humid season between mid June through to mid August, then it evens out in September again. Night times during the summer are still quite humid too. Temperatures of 24-28 Celsius during the day.

So I guess I need to look at Sativa strains, or those that are more resistant to mould.

However I'm aware that I'm a total beginner, so I'm looking for a seed that is suitable for outdoors, easy to grow and will result in a decent yield.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Just get a handful of different seeds and grow them all.

Although some strains work better in different regions, most plants will grow in any environment given that it's within the range of a healthy growing environment. Some may grow better than others, but that's something you'll have to keep in mind when you buy your second set of seeds.

If anything, buy regular seeds and chop the males that aren't growing as vigorously. Then, you can breed that male with your best female so you have seeds that will be well suited for your environment. Plus, you won't have to buy any seeds anymore.

3. Thanks for the reply.

Bearing in mind that I'm a complete beginner, I feel a bit overwhelmed by the idea of potentially breeding males with best females etc...

I was just hoping for some recommendations of feminised seeds that will flower fairly easily for a beginner in my climate and situation.

When I use the longitude / latitude climate zone tool on seedfinder, the results come back with:

Diesel Ryder
    Short Ryder

Should I take these results with a pinch of salt? Neither of these strains seem to come feminised either.

Aside from indiscriminately throwing down some random seeds, are there any specific recommendations?

As I mentioned, because of the humidity, there's a very wet rainy season between June and August. So that would rule out most Indicas because of mould... Recommendations?

Thanks again

4. Frisian dew

Jorges diamond
    Hollands hope
    Dutch passion #1

Look on the dutch passion website some really good outdoor strains on there!

5. Thanks for the recommendation Kush Cookies!

6. But... I should be looking at Sativas due to the humidity right? These seems to be mostly Indicas.. Just wondering.. :)

7. tell us your latitude.
    I only know one great outdoor strain, get the review here. that one is bred for colder climates, but Im pretty sure that it would do even better where youre at. its very early and pretty mold resistant and the bud is amazing.

8. Not to sure tbh mate, this will be my first year growing, gunna be a gorilla grow

Planting 1 Jorges diamond 1 frisian dew and 1 Hollands hope, from all the research I've done these should be fine in a uk climate.

9. Just grow it

10. Okay, I guess it'll be the Frisian Dew then.

I have been looking at a few Thai strains due to the similarities with regard to the rainy season we have... but I figure the Frisian Dew is a solid choice unless people suggest otherwise.

I'm erring on the side of caution (and paranoia) when it comes to revealing latitude ;) just be assured that I have a humid rainy season to contend with.

11. dude nobody is gonna attempt to find you just by latitude, beside youre a newb when there are pros in this forum.
    from what youve described I think you can grow just about any strain you like. not saying that it wont do well, but frisian dew is meant for pretty extreme cold climates, close to as early a harvest as you can get without growing autos. depending on your latitude (!) it may not veg at all, go straight to flowering after a couple of weeks and stay pretty small, because strains like this only need about 9 hours of darkness to flower.