please only experienced growers help! PICS!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by eyeluvdoja, Oct 7, 2008.

1. To the Experts:cool:

I started out with 4 months of research on the internet about how to grow marijuana, and i decided to do a two week test to see what happens, then try to get some experienced feedback on what to do. As you can see my plants are in bad shape. I'm starting over now, and i will be doing it correctly this time if all goes well. I figure you don't need to know what i did wrong, just what ill be doing differently. Any feedback at all from you pros would be greatly appreciated!

Set Up: Closet/ 5ft horizontal by 16ft vertical.
    There are 8 3liter pots that are placed 4 by 2
    The tub they are placed in is 3 1/2ft by 2ft

Lights: 150Watt HPS light bulb with metal reflector

Seeds: Thai + Skunk#1 Indica strain

Grow Medium: 1/3 Sta-Green: Vermiculite
    1/3 Maracle-grow: Perlite (extremely light npk content)
    1/3 Regular Peat Moss (no additives/ferts)

(see pics for details)

Now you have the information, if there is anymore needed please let me know, and i would be glad to fill you in. At the moment i do not have a thermometer nor do i have a humidity detector yet, but i will be getting them soon. Here are my questions!

1. How long can you let your seed germinate before they start to die/rot? (before you are required to plant them)
    2. Do you water your grow medium before you plant your germinated seeds?
    3. From the information and pics about my setup, how high should my light be from the top of my soil when you first plant them? (take in consideration it is a 150Watt Hps covering a 3 1/2ft by 2ft area)
    4. Should i go ahead and just start the 18/6 light cycle as soon as i plant them?
    5. Should i lower the light as the plants mature? If so how much considering the age of the plant?
    6. As you can see from the pics, do you think i should leave one of the doors open, for better circulation?
    7. From the information about my grow medium, how often can you predict i will have to water them?
    8. From the day they sprout, how many days (usually) will it take until my girls are ready to take the ferts? (take in consideration my plants are indica type strain)
    9. Is it wise to use a root stimulator/ Green Light: Root Stimulator & Root Starter/ the NPK of that solution is 5-15-5, if so when should i apply it?
    10. Judging by the type and strain of my plants, what can you predict the ideal humidity level and temperature would be?
    11. Is it true that for every 1gallon of grow medium your plant will usually grow 1foot?
    Thats it guys, i took a lot of time to make this as easy as i could possibly make for you, in an attempt show you how important this is to me, please take me seriously and try to answer every question to the best of your ability. Thank you so much for your time and for your knowledge.

:smoke: Thank you fellow Tokers:smoke:
    Ps. If you would like to read how my frist grow went i have my first thread in the "sick plants" section

Attached Files:

• ss1.jpg
      ss1.jpg
      File size:
      112 KB
      Views:
    • ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      110.4 KB
      Views:
    • ss3.jpg
      ss3.jpg
      File size:
      150.3 KB
      Views:
    • ss4.jpg
      ss4.jpg
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views:
    • ss5.jpg
      ss5.jpg
      File size:
      235.3 KB
      Views:
    • ss6.jpg
      ss6.jpg
      File size:
      105.1 KB
      Views:
    • ss7.jpg
      ss7.jpg
      File size:
      145.2 KB
      Views:
    • ss8.jpg
      ss8.jpg
      File size:
      174.6 KB
      Views:
  2. #2 Vader Haze, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
    First, I think you got it a little mixed up. Thai-Skunk is gonna to be a sativa dominant strain.

But Ill Try to Help.

1) Never. Hydroponics never plants seeds. But your using a soil medium so your gonna want to plant them as soon as the tap root sprouts. Why Wait?

2) yes

3) with your light, approx. 6-7 inches. You have to use your judgement here. You want the light as close as possible but dont want the heat from the bulb to burn the plants.

4) yes

5) Again You have to use your judgement here. see #3

6) Put a fan in there. You want a gentle breeze on your plants.

7) Ive never NOT used soil. But you'll need to pay attention. Let it dry then water, let it dry, then water. make sure the top few inches of soil at least are dry.

8) This is really a preference call. From as soon as the first set of real leaves are sprouted until maybe 6". Again, its a preference thing. If your using synthetic nutes start at 1/4 strength, then 1/2. See how your plants are responding before giving them full strength.

9) Personally I use a very diluted root stimulator on seeds. It gives me great results. But some people think its best to just use it on clones. So...

0) First you need to go get a thermometer w/ a humidity gauge at the Depot.

1) No. MJ is a very easy plant to manipulate. SO, Its recomended that if your going to grow your plants 5' you'll want to use 5 gal. of soil. If you use a 6" pot dont expect to grow monsters. But just because you plant it in the earth doent mean it will be a a mile high weed plant. Common sense stuff.

I do have to ask. What is that brown? rocky stuff thats in your pics ?

You'll want to seal the closet real well before flowering. I can plainly see light leaks.

Hope this was helpful.

3. im almost 100% posative that its an indica dominant plant.

still, how long before the seeds die off they if you just let them germinate?

also, i would like some more opinions on the lights because if you look at the pictures, im pretty sure A LOT has to do with the conditions my pants were in. Including the heat that the light gives off in such a small compact area.

are you sure i should keep the doors close, i would like more opinions on that as well, because it gets hott as shit in there i bet, the room seemed really muggy in there if i leave them alone for while.

may i have a possible approxamate time frame on when to fertalize for indica type strain, if there is a difference at all between indica or sativa for feeding.

may i please have some more input on the root stimulator

if my room is getting too hot, too humid/not hot enpough or not humad enough, what are some cheap ways of fixing those problems?

the brown rocky stuff is the shitty soil i used my frist 2 week experimental try for growing.

thank you for your feedback so much, it really really does help!!! remember my seeds will be germinated in about a day or so, so try to be quick if you have anything really important to tell me about the germination/planting steps.

THANK YOU!!!

4. well I think he answered your question on when to plant sprouts...as soon as they show a tap root basically or they will dry up and die. If Im not mistaken a 150w light has far less coverage than the 3x2 feet...so start less plants so they get the light they need, Would u rather have 8plants that dont get enough light or 2 or 3 that get more than enough? If your room is getting to hot set up a extraction fan to remove the heat. And for the tip on when to water...well I have found that when I use soil, I fill an extra bucket with the soil mix and I water it, then I can lift it and tell what it feels like when full as opposed to empty, other than that hard to tell someone when their plants need water as we R not there. When you plant then seeds start the lights high up and move down thru the first week until they can take the heat(and try and get them as close as possible, but watch for heat stress). And as Vader said, seal the closet from light leaks cause it will cause a problem later on in grow.

5. I'm unsure of your soil mixture, to me your soil looks horrible and seems to be clumpy and hard by looking at the pics. A Thai X Skunk #1 is definately a Sativa dom. strain. Skunk #1 is 75% Sativa which it gets from it's Mexican and Columbian heritage, the Afghani would be the Indica heritage.

1. Never had a problem with waiting. I soak my seeds a day or so in 6.5 water and a tsp of peroxide. Plant them directly in the soil and usually have germination in 3-5 days.

2. I water my soil thoroughly the same day I begin my seed soak. I do not water again until they show the first set of leaves.

3. Exactly! I often use flouros so I get tight nodes and stout plants. I use a 400 HPS which is kept apprx. 8-12 inches from the plant tops.

4. There is nothing wrong with running lights right away. I often use 24 hr cycles so I can see early what plants are robust and vigorous so I'm not wasting time on slow growers or geneticly weak plants.

5. Use you judgement, however it is noit wise to lower the lights, expecially w/ HID's during the flowering cycle b/c the intensity of the heat can damage and/or slow trichome production.

6. I would run a total of 4 fans in your set up: a small 6" blowing directly at the light towards an exhaust fan to dissipate heat from the light itself, an exhaust fan at the top to pull heat and create airflow, and an inlet fan sending fresh air into the grow area. This will help keep temps down and give good air flow to the box.

7. Watering is probably the #1 mistake new growers make. Watering and feeding are difficult to dial in b/c different strains have different needs. I use a pen and stick about 4" into the soil, if the soil is wet some soil will stick to the pen, also I watch for the soil to shrink away from the edges of the grow pots or bags. I only water as needed, and same goes with feeding.

8. It really does not matter if the plant is indica or sativa, in most cases you do not need to add nutes until they reach veg, which is around 4th or 5th node depending on strain. You have to consider what type of soil, how the strain reacts, and be aware of the plant itself. I personally have never used a nute schedule b/c after some experience is gained you notice early warning signs the plant show. A plant will talk to you, you just have to know how to listen to them.

9. I only use rooting hormones/stimulators for cloning. The plant will develope a strong rooting system during seedling stage and it will expand towards moisture as the plant grows during veg. There is no need for a rooting hormone/stimulator during any growth cycle.

10. Buy a monitor, but I highly suggest buying & installing fans first. You do not want the heat above the mid 80's nor do you want it below 70. Most strains with good genetics can survive mid 60's and high 80's, even low 90's, they just seem to thrive more if you keep them in the mid 70's and low 80's.

11. Honestly, I have grown out clones to 4 ft using 1 gallon grow bags, the roots actually punctured thru the bags. It is all about using judgement. I often suggest 2 gl pots indoors b/c you can grow a decent size plant and get a nice yield. I have a SMG right now that is 2 ft 4 inches in a 1 gl grow bag. Just use your best judgemnet. In your grow area I would suggest 4-6 in 1 gl bags/containers or 2-4 in 2 gl. The strain combined with your experience and how well the plant is cared for determines yield more than pot size. I have yielded 2.5 oz's off a 3.5 ft tall in a 1.5 gl container. Optimal conditions and care give optimal rewards. Patience is a virtue any grower has trouble with, but when you use patience, you get excellent results.

Yes, as VH said, take care of some light leaks during flowering or you have buds exposed to the light give off male pods. Also, get yourself some air flow in that closet or your plants will never thrive like you want them to.

less

6. If it is Indica dom. it is not a true Thai X Skunk #1 cross. Skunk #1 is a 75% Sativa strain. I have never heard of a Indica Thai, almost all Thai crosses are Sativa
    Dom. and there are very few Skunk #1 crosses that are Indica Dom. most are 50/50 at best. If the breeder or seed reseller you got the seeds from claims it to a be Indica dom cross, then it is not true Thai, and most likely not a true Skunk #1. Skunk #1 crossed into Thai would make an already Sativa Dom. strain even more Sativa dominant.

less

7. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!! last thing, what percent should the humidity be in my room which is ideal for plant growth???