Please: In need of serious life advice.

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob21597, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Hello Grasscity, my name is Rob.  I just made this account for the first time.  I have browsed Grasscity since I started smoking at 13 years old, but never posted until now.  I'm currently a 20 year old, seasoned toker who is in need of serious life advice.

I've been planning to post this for a while in paragraph form, but I think I'm going to simplify it a bit so everyone gets the point more easily.

Things you should know about me in school:
    -20 year old white male from South Jersey
    -Graduated Highschool in 2012 with a 3.6 gpa, 144/590 class rank (24th percentile), honors classes and participated in athletics
    -3 Semesters at community college: 3.3 gpa.  I was just accepted to Rowan University, Rutgers Camden, and Rutgers New Brunswick for next Fall.

Things you should know about my work experience:
    -Lifeguard for 5 years
    -Managed Smoothie King for almost two years, quit on good terms with owner
    -I have almost 7 months in at a children's rehabilitation hospital.  I've been making $10.75 an hour as a one to one aid.  I'm currently training to become a nurses assistant.  My job is going great

My Problem:
    I live in a state where weed is illegal.  I'm a part of a family that doesn't allow smoking or agree with it.  I'm a smoker...there's no other way to put it.  I don't know what else I want to have for a career other than work in the marijuana industry.  My DREAM would be to own some type of marijuana business.  I'm passionate about marijuana...I love everything about smoking with people and all related activities.  I've been smoking daily for about seven years.  What really weighs on my heart is the fact that my true life dream seems far fetched or would be ridiculous to my family.  I feel like I can't even be openly honest and tell anyone in my family about my dream goal, because they would be disgusted.  My mom has said shes incredibly disappointed that I'm so smart, and have "so much potential" but choose to hang around "scumbag potheads".
    I do enjoy nursing, but I just switched my major to business.  I know nurses are regularly and randomly drug tested.  I love nursing but won't be truly happy in a profession that I can never smoke in.  Can somebody please give me legitimate advice or what they would do in my situation?  Is business a path I should take for my longterm goal?  Am i just crazy and should drop my idea all together?

2. I don't think you're crazy. I have a similar background to yours with an nonsupporting family who makes fun of "potheads" and "stoners", which I find hilarious because like most Americans they like their booze. I also originally wanted to be a doctor because I liked chemistry and biology, but ended becoming an accountant and passing the CPA exam. I still smoke every day (nothing beats working a 12 hour day during tax season, then coming up and lighting one up), but at the same time get my shit done at work and work extremely hard.

My advice is this: Do whatever makes you happy. Personally, I feel that keeping my professional life and personal life separate is the best way to go. If you are good with numbers, I'd highly recommend you look at becoming an accountant and passing the CPA exam. It's steady work and if you are like me, you can get in with a moderate size firm with growth potential to eventually become a partner Guess what, no will drug test you and you can make your own schedule. You can smoke till your heart is content and still have a solid career with a reasonable retirement age.

If you are really passionate about mixing weed/smoking with your professional career, then go to school, work hard, land a solid job, save up some money, and move out to the West coast/Colorado where smoking is/will soon become legal. Use that money to get in some some established guys or build your business from the ground up.  Like I said, I'd advise against this because in the long term I think the later will work out much better, but once again, do what makes you happy.

3. @[member="PSUKUSH"] thanks for your feedback.  I've actually considered what you said already.  It's just very stressful not knowing the outcome of the future depending on what decision I make.

4. Your life is yours and no one else's. Whats a shame is people spending their whole lives trying to win their parents approval. Do what makes you happy, and if your parents don't approve of that then they aren't worth your time.

5. If we give up on our dreams, what do we really have left? With enough passion and the ability to learn, you can set yourself up to achieve in any field.

Not enough people take risks in life. Follow the path that makes you happy now because it doesn't really matter in the end.

6. Do what makes you happy!  You've got your whole life ahead of you.  If you can't find a career that you are passionate about that also works well with your personal life - then you'll have to make some sacrifices for now.  That shouldn't deter you for striving to find something that works well for both your career and personal life.  

You'll have plenty of time to reinvent yourself as life goes on.  Don't look at your college degree as the be-all-end-all of your life.  It's not.  

7. #7 manontherun, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
    Hey Rob, I am an aspiring Life Coach in training so professionally I can not give you direct advice on this issue but I will say a few words of encouragement.

There is nothing wrong with having dreams and aspirations, in fact I highly encourage it. People who don't have goals will hit them with amazing accuracy. Did you know that roughly 10 percent of people when surveyed said they had dreams and wanted to be in a different financial situation, those 10 % on average had a significantly higher income when followed up on 2 years later while the rest averaged lower then they where at the time of the survey.

Go ahead and shoot for your dream job, I agree you are very smart for perusing a careers in the MJ industry that is soon to be booming ( in the us at least ) and your family.... While family is very important, so is association. Try to associate your self with positive people and people in the industry, ( you post on here, good start!)

I would be straight up honest with your family. Tell them what you want to do, move if you have to. If MJ was my field I would be moving to find work for sure. Perhaps set up a side career to get some cash flow in the mean time to get your self situated.

Best of luck to you bud and remember, this is in no way advise that you should follow, just my thoughts on the issue,

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

8. Rob,
    Follow your dream. i think it will be a long time before Jersey makes weed legal. I'm a lifelong Jersey resident.

What part of the weed business interests you?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. there comes a time where you have to do you, youre coming up on that time real quick. the fact that your mom sees an entire community, one that includes her son, as scumbags and leaves it at that speaks volumes. 

10. We can't make your decision for you, but I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are happy with the path you decide to tread.

11. move out. i assume by family you mean parents not wife.

move out, grow up, be your own person. whether you like it or not and no matter how much you postpone you will eventually take this step no matter what.

i suggest asap.