Please help

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by FritzKraut, Jun 23, 2020.

1. #1 FritzKraut, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Hey fellow growers,

facts first:

- SF 2000
    - super soil (followed the guide on "Organic Soil Mix For Beginners"
    - OG Kush (photos, Nirvana Seeds)
    - 4 weeks into veg
    - (tap)water ph'd around 5.75
    - runoff is around 6.7
    - gave them basic compost tea 2 weeks ago and yesterday
    - temp/rh are in range

Edit:
    - pot size is 4.5 US Gallon (17 liter)
    - grow space is roughly 3x3 (80x80cm)

I always seem to run into deficiency issues after a few weeks. Leaves start to yellow and in this particular case they even start to develop brown spots and somehow start deforming. Stems of the upper part start to turn purple. Plant is quite flabby/droopy. I always let the soil dry a little between watering (every 3 to 4 days).

I can't imagine that there is not enough nutrients available, it somehow feels like the reason for the deficiency is something else.

Our tap water is pretty basic with a ph of around 8. Do I need to find another source for water?

Do I maybe need to lower ph of the soil? If so, do I just add sulfur or is that a bad idea? Is there a other cause for the problem?

I'm still new to growing and at this point it really starts to feel frustrating as I just can't find a solution for the ever occurring yellow leaves.

Hope the picture are ok. Any constructive advice is much appreciated 20200623_211417.jpg 20200623_204451.jpg 20200623_204500.jpg 20200623_204518.jpg 20200623_204634.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I'm not a soil grower but I do know that you should be watering with a pH around 6.5......your run off is perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 TimJ, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I would get that irrigation water tested.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pot size?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Looks like Cal deficiency and also makes sense with those lights. Those Samsung LEDs make them use more nutrients, especially CalMag. I had the same issue when I switched to QB style lights. Also makes sense from time frame.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Can you post a photo of the whole plant including the pot? My hunch is yours are too small for the plant size.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I was assuming that I need to calibrate the ph accordingly to the run off as this is what help me estimate the soils ph. When I increase watering ph from 5.7 to 6.5, I end up with a run off of that reads something like 7.4, which is too high afaik. Is this approach wrong?

9. Interesting read. Thank you.

I don't know exactly how much Hydrogencarbonate is present. A data sheet from 2018 shows that carbonate hardness is 13.9°dH without showing the part of each component of this group.

Unfortunately I can't collect rain water here at my place but there is a brook just across the street. Not sure if using this water is a good idea.

10. Fortunately our local public water supplier is testing the water every few years, last measured 2018 with a carbonate hardness of 13.9°dH. I just need to figure out if that is too high or too low.

I might post the data sheet here but have been to lazy translating it. Let me know if it would be useful

11. #11 FritzKraut, Jun 24, 2020
    7 us gallon or 27 liter

Edit:
    Sorry confused what I've been planing with what I actually did. Size us 4.5 US Gallon (17 liter)

12. Thanks for this tip.

Will try and supply more CalMag and also try to find a way of decreasing soil ph due to the assumption of too much bicarbonate as this will neutralizes the bicarbonate if I got it right

13. #13 FritzKraut, Jun 24, 2020
    Will do once I have my lunch break. Pot size is 7 us gallon

Edit:
    Sorry, been confusing something. Size is 4.5 US Gallon (17 liter). Pic attached (this brown spot on the floor is just compost tea)

14. Here's the picture 20200624_120449.jpg

15. #15 FritzKraut, Jun 24, 2020
  16. Maybe slightly N deficient, and I think it could use more water. You don't really want to let the soil dry out. Better to water in small amounts more often and keep a steady hydration in the soil.
    As for pot size, it doesnt look like an issue right now but with a plant that size I think you will run into issues during flower with that 5gallon pot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. believe me bro, they look hungry and those lights make them use nutrients.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ok, will give her the leftover from the recent compost tea and add some liquid seaweed.

Do you have a simple recipe for a DIY CalMag solution? At what ratio do you apply CalMag and how often?

19. Pot size is there lol

20. Edited size in after Taoist ask for it. My bad, didn't think about it in the first place. Been a while since last posting here