Please help with sexing...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by john delorenzo, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Okay, here goes. Brand new member, longtime reader of this forum. Sorry about the long winded nature of the post, but I have seen that the offering the courtesy of providing as much information about one's situation up front as possible draws more responses from more knowledgeable growers. I need your help regarding sexing my plants. Please read on.

I started researching indoor growing for personal medical purposes here and elsewhere bout 6 months ago. Even with several months of education under my belt, I did the noob thing and impulsively sprouted various good bag seed over the course of about 2 weeks. Stuck ‘em in a little plastic greenhouse for tomato plants under a T5 strip fluorescent and as they progressed I started to believe I could actually do this. I have scrambled successfully thus far to get to the point I am at today, which is why I need your help. I have 4 plants that sprouted on or about the 2nd of February, 7 that sprouted on or about the 10th, and 6 that sprouted on or about the 25th (that I got from a relative who grows and they are supposed to be fem seeds from a seed bank. “White Window or Rainbow or something”, I was told. We'll see).

For the record, I used the same coconut crap I use to start my tomatoes to start the sprouted seeds in Solo cups , and transplanted (almost too late for the earliest plants!) into a soil mix of 60% ProMix (no fertilizer), 25% Perlite, 10% clean sand and 5% MG Organic potting Mix . I bought a $75 steel and particle board shelf unit at Lowe's and went to town. The 17 plants are now vegging under about 700 (real) watts of 6500K CFL's. I made the custom light fixtures you see in the pics for about $10 apiece (not including the bulbs) as this is a budget grow! By the way, the Lowe's by me has 26 watt (100 watt equivalent) 4 packs of CFL bubs in both 6500K and 2700 K (how convenient) for $9.97. I started the FF nutrients at ¼ strength about 3 weeks into veg for all the plants and things are looking good.

Anyway, I was having so much fun watching my babies grow, and considering my advanced age, I figgered that I could simply veg the older plants longer to let the later ones catch up, then flower all 17 plants at once, as I have abandoned (at least for this grow) my earlier plans of trying to light proof a separate veg chamber in the same closet where the plants are growing now. Recently while doing some math I realized that because I need to harvest by the end of May (I will be traveling) I had to start flowering all these plants immediately. This led me to start researching sexing of plants, and lo and behold I see that plants might divulge their sex with “pre-flowers' before they are put under 12/12 2700k lights?

Can you look at these pictures and tell me which are males and which are females and which are too early to tell? If the ones I suspect are males (the last three pics) actually are, when do they start to produce pollen and therefore become a threat to my females?

I definitely do not want to kill off any plants that eventually might turn out to be female, but want to destroy all the male plants as soon as I know they are male.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. The 2nd picture is definitely female. The last is out of focus, so it's too hard to see. I think the 3rd and 4th plants might be boys.

3. pic 2 is a female for sure...
    pic 3 might be new growth, give it a lil bit, but looking male...
    pic 4 definitely male...
    pic 5 - too damn blurry

4. thanks to the two of you...i will get a better photo of that last plant and post it, although i am pretty sure it is male as well

5. ^^^^^Agreed^^^^^........nice looking so far.

6. Here I am again. Thanks for the earlier responses. To recap, I am 5 days into 12/12 under 2700K cfl's. I posted pics earlier showing preflowers and can't post any more right now. I would just like to re-ask my earlier question. How far into flowering or after definitely showing sex do males produce and or release pollen? The reason I ask is that one of my plants that I was certain was male and had plans to cull when the lights came on this morning sprouted lady hairs overnight! Please help!

7. It would depend on the strain and environmental conditions, but should be around half-way through the flowering period.

8. so i have days before i have to worry about it?

9. agreed, nice mix tho, very nice boys and girls u got there my friend =]:hello:

10. I might be missing it, but when did you put them on a 12/12 schedule? I've been getting pre-flowers on clones prior to flowering, and plants from seed are showing sex in about 2-3 weeks after flowering.

11. Thanks for the response. I just set them to flower 5 days ago, but some of the plants were vegging for 7 weeks before that so they had definitely started to show sex, but not enough to convince this noob to give 'em the hatchet, per se. As i said, one plant that I was convinced was male ("balls" for preflowers) has sprouted pistils and is definitely female. So it is back to my original question, really. How long is it (on average), after showing their sex, before the males produce, and then release, pollen? I would never let it get to that point if close and daily observation are all it takes to prevent it, but we are talking weeks, right?

12. I checked my copy of Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes, and it looks like it takes seeds about six weeks to mature. That should place the release of pollen at around 3-6 weeks into flowering, depending on the strain. (Flowering generally takes 8-12 weeks total.)

13. thank you pinkpipe