Please Help with Heating issue

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by myshadeisblue, Jun 6, 2010.

1. #1 myshadeisblue, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
    I currently have two rooms, one of which is impossable to cool. It is 10.5 x 10 with a 2x4 closet area where my electric panal and chiller rez are located. I drew a diagram with most of the hot and cool items in the room so sombody might be able to help with suggestions as to cooling this place off. I am using two portable ac's, a bunch of fans, and chilled water and keep get the room under 87 degrees on the plants. I recently had to replace to 1k lights with 400 watters to mellow it out in there. I dont have an intake or exhaust due to trying to keep the room air saturated with CO2. but I cant add a burner till I get a few degrees to work with, unless I duct off my burner in the adjacent room. The lights are pulling from my roomies closet and dumping into the attic. Please advise. Thank you so much for anyone who can take the time to reply.

[​IMG]

2. I understand that you want to keep your co2 in the space, however you must take the heat load too the outside some how.. That said I can not tell by this diagram were your condensing air is being transfered too.'the cond air is the hot air that will come off of your two window a/c units. The two units that you do have are not enough btu's for the heat load in that room. How many btu's is the chiller unit that you are using now?
    20yrs HVAC

3. You have a lot of wattage and 8" hoods yet you are reducing airflow down to a 6" Fan at the exhaust. Get an 8" Fan and get 8" Ducting and I would think that would solve the problem.

4. that picture takes my breath away

5. #5 myshadeisblue, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
    Lol, I am glad it takes your breath away lamo. And the two AC's are portable ac units. I am of course ducting the exhaust hoses out of the room from the ac's. 22k btu is not enough ac for this? I think I only have 22k btu of heat coming off the bulbs without air cooling them and 3 of the bulbs are sunpulses which are hpmh and cooler than hps bulbs. And as far as the fans go on the light loop, all of the ducting is 8 in until the end of the run when it necks down. I figured that by the time the air went through all of the twists and turns in the ducting it was probably only like 400 cfm anyways. I am also thinking of installing a window shaker ac in there, I used to have one a couple of grow houses ago and I remember being realoly impressed with the amount of cooling that it produced, I just dont know what size to get.

6. And my chiller is a 1 hp eco plus that is down in the garage on a loop with the rez. and I have a second pump powering a manifold that runs from that chiller rez through the wall into my other grow room so that I can distribute cold water to all of my nute rez's through coils in the rez's. I hooked up icebox's in both rooms with solenoid valve's I made up to only distribute to each icebox when the lights are on in that room. However, I am not using the icebox's currently because they heat the chiller water up a little too much and dont really provide that much benefit in cooling. Of course I am using them on the scrubbers right now just to help with ac needs instead of running them through the lights as I think they are more beneficial as far as cooling with less heat against them.

7. And another thought was, am I slowing the air movement down through the lights? Like are maxfans really that strong that they dont lose much through a bunch of twists and turns in ducting? Like the 8 inch booster fan I am using and the 6 in at the end of the line are only rated at 400 cfm, would this be putting resistance against the 8 in maxfan at the beggining of the line? I thought it only felt like around 400 cfm at that point so I added the booster just to pick it up and added another 400 to expel it out of the room.

8. #8 myshadeisblue, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
    I took the advice and installed a another 8 in fan at the end of the light run, but I still necked down to a 6 in hole at the very end, I know that this will reduce the throughput a little bit but I doubled the exiting cfm with the 8 in fan so maybe it will help. I am wondering if the 8 in booster half way through the run is gonna slow things down though being only 471 cfm? I updated the diagram to reflect changes made.

[​IMG]

9. Its a huge amount of airflow difference between 6" and 8" I forget the maxes and this isn't anywhere near correct but its like 400 to 600-700 or so. It is a major difference.

10. Just to report back in I dropped the heat from 85-87 on the plant tubs to 82-84 on the tubs, so at least shit is growing again but I still need to shave off more if anyone can help. Otherwise I cant institute CO2. And as far as the vacume goes, most of it is because that single hose AC is exhausting room air so I would like to do away with that too. I am thinking of adding a window shaker ac so that I might get rid of both portable ac's but I dont know what size I am gonna need, any suggestions?