Please Help, Will He Face Jail?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by FlannelPajamas, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

My brother is in a bind, to say the least. He was arrested in Iowa for selling 2.3 oz. to undercover agents (4 counts for 4 seperate occasions). He also faces two additional charges, one for lack of a marijuana stamp and the other for 2 ecstasy pills found in his home.

He has an excellent private lawyer, and this is his first offense. That being said, I'm guessing this will be a close call between jail time and probation. I can't help but think the addition of the 2 ecstasy pills will be a major factor in the judge's decision.

What do you think? Will he face time in prison or do you think probation is a definite possibility? Also, how much leniency do courts grant if he acts as an informant?

2. No matter what its a first and not much will come of it. On the other note snitches are the lowest microbes there are. To save your own dumb ass for gettin caught you pull someone else in to get yourself out of a jam.

Be a man and take whats coming to ya (him, whatever). Only a frightened little pussy drops dime. And should he drop dime and do time I would hope he becomes someones bitch.

3. I am not a lawyer, or credible for any kind of legal advice. But I'm good with google, and according to legaljoint.net, in Iowa the possession is a misdemeanor (this is where the whole "tax stamp" charge comes in); the sale is a felony that has no minimal sentence, but a maximum sentence of five years.

Iowa also has conditional release programs, which means that even if your brother gets prosecuted for every charge, and found guilty, he can possibly get alternative sentencing.

From what I've read, Iowa is pretty lenient towards first time offenders. Assuming that your brother hasn't been in trouble a lot before what's likely to happen is that he'll get charged with possession and sale; the DA will likely offer him a plea bargain which will mean that he'll get 3 or so years of probation. It will probably involve NA meetings or rehab, but if he can get through probation, then his record will be sealed.

There will probably also be fines, possibly a few thousand dollars, but community service can sometimes be offered in place of fines.

Your brother IS in trouble, but if he stays smart he should be ok. He's most likely looking at probation.

4. I dont know your state.

If you were in CA I would guess a little jail time and a fairly strict probation. I dont think he is facing much time initially, but if he goofs up with probation it could end up drastic.

5. Tax stamp makes it sound like a federal charge. Is it? If it is I'm fearful for your brother.

6. shiiit that sucks. gotta be careful in the game. there's always eyes on you and you never know who is an undercover.

his lawyer will be able to give him the best info on sentencing and such, since he's an expert in the legal system in your state.

he'll have all the info you need.

7. act as an informant?? why, so he can fuck over other people that dont deserve it? what happened is unfortunate, but hes fucked either way, theres no sense in helping those cocksuckers out, i mean its not like their going to drop the charges completley.

that pisses me off that they let him come back 4 more times so they could rack up more charges.. fucking bastards! :mad:

i wonder if the undercover smoked... if it were me selling to a new guy, i would have asked him to. then at least if he refused and his cover was blown, at lest there wouldve only been one charge.

8. I agree, I think it's bullshit they kept coming back for more, just to rack up the charges.

Yes, I think being an informant is a dick move, but if it meant the difference between a light senetence and a heavy one, everyone would find themselves with a tough choice.

And to the person who thinks I'm really referring to myself, get real he's already in the couny jail awaiting his trial w/ a $30,000 bond. I don't have that kind of money to spring him for the time being.

9. dog i live in iowa woah!

but man idk if its just me but i can spot snitches or cops right when i see em...maybe its just my paranoia but...its better safe then sorry

sorry for ur homie he will bounce back for sho.

10. They returned to buy more in order to substantiate the charge and further prove a drug dealer of him. Fist offense may get some leniency, but ultimately he will probably get time because they did prove him to be distributing. The X will most likely get dropped as a result of pleading guilty like a man. What first has to be attacked is the credibility of the undercover agent, providing he was alone without surveillance or audio. Obviously the lawyer will know that. But most likely, he is gonna sit unless he rolls. That should not even be considered.

11. We don't allow discussion of dealing/trafficking on the board. He has an attorney and the best advice you/he will get will be from him.

As well, this has nothing to do with legalization/activism, so this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.