Please help. What the heck happened? (w/pics)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Impact, Sep 29, 2010.

1. #1 Impact, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
    Please help.

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soil
    What brand and type of soil? FFoF
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? ???
    How old are the plants? 5 weeks on Thursday
    What type of lights and how many watts? CFL around 225 watts
    How far from the lights? 6-8 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? every 3 days, RO/DI - 0 ppm
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? Fox Farm Grow Big - every 3 days/3-2-6
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? no pH meter :(
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? ??? - grow tent in basement/cool
    What size pots? 3g
    Any bugs? Look real close. No

Any other pertinent info? They were doing fine. Stinking like crazy, bought a grow tent and filter to help with smell ten days ago. The only difference in now and then is I do not have room for a fan in the tent so I have the fan on the outside blowing cool air in. I have an exhaust fan mounted on the top blowing the smelly air out. There is no direct "breeze" on the plants. I don't think it's a water issue. I wasn't watering enough at first and felt what dry leaves feel like. These aren't too dry. Their also not thick and velvet like too much water either. ???

Thank you for any help or suggestions. (First time grower, I know nothing.)

Attached Files:

2. they look like they are wilting? The soil looks dry as hell. I give mine a good soak every three days or so. Might be too hot as you said you moved a fan?

My guess though is wilting plants=no water.

Good luck

3. I'm not watering too much at any one time. I can definitely water more. I'm currently using a turkey baster full for each plant on each watering. I have no idea how much water is actually making it to the bottom of the plant as it never runs out the holes on bottom. With all this being said, why aren't the leaves dry? I wasn't watering near enough at the beginning and they were really, really dry; so I do know what it feels/looks like.

Think I should give them a good watering were I can actually see it run out the bottom of the 3g pots?

4. yeah dude a turkey baster full of water once every three days is way too little water, way too little. I also use ffof and when I water give them about 8 cups, sometimes more, and I water maybe every 2-3 days, and I've never had a problem with over watering. if the soil is dry 1/2-1 inch down you need water IMHO just what I go by

5. i just keep track of how much i give them and do the same every three days or so.

if you stick your fingers down into the pot you can tell pretty quick how wet or dry it is.

turkey baster is no much water i would think? and depends how often you do it.

Another easy way is to lift the pot. If it feel light then its pretty dry.

I dont know I just treat the shit like a weed and it grows like one....I think too much is too much. Water and the right temp and good soil has always worked for me. and sing to the fukkers :D

6. oh ya and as they get bigger they are obviously gonna need more water.....I wouldnt be afraid to give em a good soaking. Just my opinion but they look dry and wilting. Again as far as I am concerned it is just weeds and basically grow well on their own....orchids and shit like that you have to be right on top of it or your done.

7. A turkey baster..? You deff need to be watering these more, thats ridiculous.

8. Did I mention I know nothing? :eek:

Thank you for your responses.

9. Ok.

I gave the four a two-litre combined.

So that's 1/2 a litre per plant.

I seen water run out of the botttom of the pots.

Think that's enough?

10. Greatest response ever.

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

11. This is a trick i use to make sure i know the soil is moist, i use clear containers or semi translucent, either one doesn't matter but you can actually see the amount of moisture through out the dirt and even check the progress of your roots to see if you need to transplant, but i think that would be the best method to ensure that your not over watering or underwatering your plants

12. I have an issue with this, a friend used to use transparent kitty litter conatiners for his pots and they would all develop alge from the lights. Never killed anything but it cant be good.

And yes a half liter per is MUCH better, water just enough to see run off and you can't go wrong.

13. Well it looks like they need more water soke the whole pot let water come out the bottom of the pot, let soil dry out, soke the pot again. works for me. I use a turkey baster too but i fill it up like 15 time not once.

14. Check it out. It's amazing what 16 hours and a 2 litre of water will do. Thank you to everyone for your responses.

Attached Files:

15. nice, they were just really thirsty man, be careful though under watering and over watering have very similar symptoms , that is if you over water the leaves will droop heavily as well

16. hey they look good again.......dont forget to sing to them. Like the other gent said just dont over water them. Check the soil with your hand and I even like to move it around on the edges. Its a living thing and need attention. Good luck...should be a a good harvest.

17. Will do on the singing canuck. Check out my sig. Your a legend. :D

By the way, I started a grow journal to document all my mistakes. :eek:

Check it out if you get a chance.

18. Hey thanks :)

Good luck with your plants. I think you will find growing pot is easy...just not legal.

19. well did he sanitize the containers correctly? even if they are store bought new and have never been used for such they still need to be sterilized, and algae itself won't harm anything more over it would provide moisture retention

20. under water and plants wilt and die. over water and plants wilt and drown/ get humidity and bug problems in the soil