Please help starting seedlings under 600w hps

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DundeeTokes, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Hi im away to start a grow in coco coir with perlite im doing 4 plants in a 4x4 tent under a 600w hps ive already spent a fortune on stuff so not wanting to fork out more once i sprout my seeds is it okay to put them under the hps cause im not wanting to buy more light if i dont have to i know ill need to start the light hight and slowly work my way down till i find the right spot but has anyone done it before

Sent from my SM-G361F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Imo, I would get an MH bulb. It is the correct spectrum while your plants are in veg. Some have vegged with an hps though. But I'm sure it isn't the most optimal lighting for veg.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks dude thanks for your helo

4. No problem. But I'd save ve some dough and buy a MH bulb, even in a couple weeks. Your plant will like it better, and a happier plant will make you happier by having better and more growth. Which, in turn will produce more bud. Also, growing in coco/perlite is slightly different than soil. So, research a little on that. I'm a soil grower, so I'm not 100% sure on the particulars. But, I do know the ph levels are different and I believe precharging the coco with nutes is required. An experienced coco grower hopefully will chime in and give you some help with that. If I can help ya with anything else, let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you mean a 600w mh bulb? And yeah ive reserched the hell out of growing in coco and undsrstand it needs nuets from the start and the ph has to be between 5.5 and 6.5 ive not planted anything yet ive got everything tho just gathering all the info i can first starting from the medium and nuets im clued upto that and the ventalation just the light ive to study now

6. Yes a metal halide bulb. That covers the veg cycle and switch over to the hps bulb for flower. You can actually germinate and start your seedlings with a couple cfls for a week or 2 If you wanted to while you waited for the mh. Glad you did your homework on coco. Sound like you've got your bases covered and researching before jumping in. Smart man. I veg my plants under a 4ft 4 bulb t5 . A little over 200w so less electricity is used for vegging. Then I switch to the 600w hps for flower. I'm getting ready to harvest this upcoming week. Probably Tuesday. Hoping to pull a pound but only time will tell. If I only end up with half that, I won't be disappointed. Are you planning on having a journal to document your grow?

• Like Like x 1

7. buy a t5 light for your seedlings than use as side lighting later on,or a led lights looking for the blue spectrum
    hps is very bad during veg will make them stretch .

unless your rich you want to not use that hps it will cost you so much more using than replacing it .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just make sure they don't stretch too much to the light. I've vegged with 1k hps

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah took your advice and ordered some clfs well 4 think there around 30w each will they be enough for seedlings for first 2 weeks im actully thinking about getting a dual spectrum light insteads of just the mh light

• Like Like x 1