Please help my little babies :(

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Asphyxiates, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I have just setup a new grow tent with carbon filter, inline fan and 400w mh along with 2 mini 6" fans. I germinated my seeds ok, they sprouted within a few days and I potted them in bio degradeable pots. They seemed to grow ok although the stems seemed a little thin. I checked on them today and 3/5 of them had started to wilt. I have been using bio-grow mixed with water for the last 4 days and they are about a week in their pots. I spray a little water on the a few times a day but only when the soil is dry. I have just repotted them into small plastic pots with holes in bottom and havnt watered them yet. Am I doing the right things as I dont want them to die. Please help. The plants range from 2" to 4 or 5" but are thin and only have the original new leaves on them.

2. What exactly does this mean? Have you been feeding or watering every day for four days?

Seedlings can't handle most fertilizers. They should be started in an inert medium like seed starter soil, peat, rockwool etc. Once their single-bladed leaves are grown and the three-bladed leaves are poking up between them, the plants get transplanted into larger containers of nutritious soil. With the right soil mix, the plants can be perfectly fine going without any manual fertilizations until flowering.

Also, make sure you wait until the top of the soil is bone dry & the container feels noticeably lighter before every watering.

3. Thanks for the feedback, I didnt realise the plants should be repotted so early! 2 of the plants have died but the other 3 still have a chance. I repotted them last night and only gave them the smallest amount of clear water. The heat is 80 degrees with light on and 65 degrees lights off. Is this ok. I have just started germination on 4 more seeds in the hope I can do things right this time.

4. Technically, they don't need to be transplanted. Seedlings in nutrient-less starter soil could just be started in larger containers and fed manually when they begin needing food. It usually works best to just plant them plastic cups with just enough starter soil to get them to the appearance of their 3-bladed leaves. Transplanting then isn't as much because the plants need more room for root growth, but to change the soil to one that provides food.

Watering cycles should go from very moist to nearly dry. After watering, you want the soil to drip a few drops when a handful is squeezed, but not pour out a stream of water. Finding the best consistency is easiest when first mixing the soil. You'd then know the look & feel of perfectly watered soil for future waterings. A soil mix with good drainage characteristics will only hold the right amount of water, allowing excess to drain out. Things like Perlite, Pumice and similarly rock-like amendments increase drainage. When the soil holds to much water, more of these are added in future mixes.

5. The temps you're listing are ok but be wary of hot spots. As long as the plant tops don't get much hotter than the 80, they'll be fine.

6. Is it ok to transplant and feed at the same time or do you give them some time to chill

7. Yes, you can feed them when you transplant, if they need the food. If you're very careful & gentle when transplanting, the plants won't be any different afterwards. Repotting usually provides the plants with fresh, nutritious soil that's full of nutrients. Once wet, this becomes a nutrient tea that fertilizes your plants. But if you're using an inert medium with no ferts, you can add a nutrient solution manually to accomplish the same thing.

8. Thanks guys very useful info, im pleased to say my new seedlinds have sprouted however my older crop are still alive but havnt developed much at all, still original sprout leaves! My friend told me I would have to be a complete dickhead not to get them to grow and here we are..... me and my dick on my head :)

9. I never liked those bio degradable pots. Not all, but certain ones get moldy if they don't degrade fast enough. Some won't even let the roota break through for quite a while. Those little peat disks that expand when watered work well, the root passes right through the net easily.

10. Your probably over watering man, also get a small fan in there and set it on low even a breeze will thicken up those stems man.

11. I have uploaded some photos to show progress so far, hope you like them.

Attached Files:

12. Yeah i like them, but dont spray water on them like that. Just keep the soil damp when watering (don't drown them)
    400w/filter's a bit overkill on them seedlings imo. Mind you dont place lights too close to the tops.
    Got a fan blowing? Not a gail force wind, just a slight breeze to make the plants move "slightly" during lights on.
    And do a bit of googling. Research is key. Looking good.

13. Thx for the advice, the 400w bulb is approx 15" from the plants and I have 2 small non oscillating fans blowing when lights on. I have searched high and often low regarding watering and have so many contradictory responses I dont know what im at. Iat first I was watering in small amounts (test tube amounts) but 3-4 times a day which included bio-grow (1ml per litre) then I noticed the bottom set of leaves turning yellow and curling up! I researched and got 2 possible causes.... 2 much nutes or over watering! So last couple of days I watered once (2L over 5 plants and the top soil was dry) The plants have just now started to smell a little but the bottom leaves are still not looking good. They seem to be doing ok but its now 4-5 weeks in and I was expecting a bit more. Also I do spray the leaves as I read this was ok.... Should I start to introduce the nutes again and what should I be watering them?

14. Some new photos

Attached Files:

15. Hi. You may have read that foliar feeding's good. I used to foliar feed. Experience has told me that this isn't necessary.

You using fox farm soil? I'm notta soil man, but I think that the soil's got enough nutes for now so I'd water with just ph'd water for now until the plants get bigger and new growth is a lighter shade of green.

You have fans. Good ;)

What's your air temperature and humidity?

16. Is there some reason all your pots are half empty of soil? Always fill new pots with your grow mixture practically to the top.

17. I agree about the pots. You're not getting your moneys worth out those thing. Looks like your using maybe 1/2 the volume those things are willing to give. A large root mass is always a good key to fat buds. As far a light, as long as you can keep your babies cool I like to think the more light the better.

18. I am pleased to say that 3 days ago I started on my 12/12 cycle and switched to a 400w HPS. All 6 plants are doing very well, 2 have reached 20" and the others are about 14" each. They all seem healthy although the biggest plants leaves droop a bit

19. Photos soon