please help me with my amendments

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by w89, Oct 30, 2012.

1. #2 w89, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    ok so since that first post been doing more researching and finding places to buy products i may need in the future ive now written a list of what ifound what do you think to this as my amendments so far??

BioBizz Pre-Mix - Green's Horticulture PRE-MIX
    Natural Neem Organic Fertilizer NEEM FERTILIZER
    Seaweed Granules KELP MEAL
    Dengie Alfalfa Pellets ALFALFA MEAL
    SEER Rockdust Garden Minerals - 20 KG Bag - Re-mineralisation The Soil | eBay ROCK DUST
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5kg-Hor...rden_Plants_Fertiliser_CV&hash=item27bc9936c2 GYPSUM
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolomite-...rden_Plants_Fertiliser_CV&hash=item230b83d3c1 DOLOMITE LIME
    anything else i would need for a more balanced nutrient mix?

2. I will be buying mushroom compost untill my own compost pile is done... also EWC untill i start producing my own but untill the time comes I was thinking of using something like this

Mushroom Compost(20%),Earthworm Castings(15%),Sedge Peat(20%) = 55% of total mix
    Coco Chips(15%),Perlite(30%) = 45%

3. #4 InTheGarden, Nov 4, 2012
    Hey w89.

You've got an excellent list of amendments. But where's your humus source? You've got to have some compost, ewc, etc. Some extra aeration would help too (perlite, rice hulls, pumice, etc.-whatever you have available).

Are you still getting the fish meal? I would add some crustacean meal (shrimp, lobster, or crab meal) or, if you can't find that, at least some fish meal/fish bone meal. Both will provide good amounts of Ca and P and you will have a very well balanced blend of nutritional amendments.

Also, have you thought about just building your own soil instead of starting with the Bio Bizz? You need a good humus source and extra aeration whether you start with a bagged soil or peat moss, so it's just a matter of trading in the bio bizz for peat.

4. #5 InTheGarden, Nov 4, 2012
    I like this. Are you going to use those castings that you linked to? I would. Even if they don't offer the pure castings, I'd still buy a bag or two of the ewc/coco mix (if it's the best you can find).

The problem with mushroom compost (if it's actually spent mushroom substrate) is that they spray the mushrooms with all kinds of herbicides and fungicides and chemical fertilizers. So unless it's organic (or has been well-composted afterward), that stuff could still be present. So just check the bag and see what it says, some mushroom compost is truly organic and well-composted and makes a good humus source.

edit: Also, if you can increase the percentage of ewc in that mix, do it. I'd go for a higher percentage of ewc than mushroom compost (if possible). Something like 20-25% ewc, 10-15% mushroom compost. And if you check out your mushroom compost and find that it's some of the yucky mushroom compost (per the concerns I described above), you can use ewc as your only humus source and get excellent results.

5. #6 w89, Nov 4, 2012
    yes the mushroom compost is organic not decided where i will get the castings from yet but might try a bag of that mix i linked you too just too see what its like..

ok thanks for the advice on more worm castings to less compost, i just thought too much worm castings would make the consistency too mud like? or would the other things in the mix even out the consistency

6. As mentioned by ganja girl, you'll want more aeration - pumice, rice hulls, perlite, etc - and that should keep the mud consistency at bay.

A basic soil recipe approach is:
    1/3 sphagnum peat moss
    1/3 earthworm castings (or other quality compost)
    1/3 aeration material...pumice, rice hulls, perlite, etc

and then go with your choice of amendments - alfalfa, kelp, neem, rock dust, fish bone meal are all good and a crab meal can add chitin as well which as I understand is good to help keep pests at bay...as does the neem meal.

I'm making my own earthworm castings these days and I can say that quality castings are really pretty amazing. You can grow in straight castings. I'm not saying that I'd recommend this but it's pretty amazing stuff. The quality of compost seems to be key to a good soil...at least my limited experience.

7. #8 InTheGarden, Nov 4, 2012
    The castings really won't make the soil heavy and muddy anymore than the mushroom compost would. Yes, the other ingredients even out the consistency- this is why we add aeration amendments and peat/coco instead of growing in straight ewc/compost. My soil contains a high percentage of ewc to start, and then I always add a big handful or two to the bottom of the hole when I put the plant in, and then I top-dress with it too. My soil is at least 30% ewc, and then has compost on top of that. The point being that a muddy consistency won't be a concern unless you use 50% ewc and 10% aeration amendment or something like that. If the soil feels a bit heavy once it's mixed, you can always add more aeration amendment to fix it.

You can fix a soil that has a bit too much of your humus source (thus leading to a heavy, compacted soil) by adding more aeration amendment, and end up with a great soil, but you're going to have a much harder time fixing a soil that doesn't have enough humus (because you won't know it until the plant is in the soil and starts showing signs of pH problems, etc.)

When you mix your soil, if you think it looks/feels too heavy, always add more aeration (when in doubt, add more aeration-always). More aeration won't hurt a thing, but too little will.

8. #9 w89, Nov 4, 2012

The biobizz isnt soil i think you got mixed up with promix? pre mix is a dry base nutrient. here is what they say about pre mix; "Bio Bizz Pre-Mix is an organic base fertiliser derived from organic matter, rock meal and trace elements. This microbially active blend is formulated to guarentee vigorous growth, abundant flowering and a good level of natural disease resistance. Pre-Mix has a N-P-K of 3-3-5."

Also with the crustacean meal (shrimp, lobster, or crab meal) i can't find it anywhere but would grinding up a crab shell work the same?

9. #10 w89, Nov 4, 2012
  10. Ok gotcha. The only biobizz I'm familiar with is a biobizz potting soil, I didn't realize they made a dry organic fertilizer. Grinding up crab/shrimp/lobster shells will work exactly the same as crustacean meal (that's all that you're buying anyway). I dry the shells out, put them in a plastic bag, wrap it in a towel, and run them over with my car to make crustacean meal. :)

11. I'd look for a different source of castings. That looks like commercial bagged worm castings to me, which aren't the best. Have you looked locally? Do some searching online, you may find someone in your area with great compost and/or ewc. I'd go with that castings/coir product we talked about any day over the bagged ewc you linked to. You can use the castings/coir as your humus source, but you'll just have to include a higher percentage than you would if it were pure castings- like maybe 50% castings/coir, 25% aeration, 25% peat moss.

The compost that they talk about in the compost tea bags link sounds good (high fungal aerobic compost that's tested to ensure high microbial numbers), but I'm really not a fan of "compost tea bags". They are charging you a premium to put compost in a bag, when you can just toss it in the water yourself at home. See if you can just buy the compost itself.

12. i emailed the people from the website which is selling the cast and coir compost, I asked what percentage the casts are to the coco and if they would sell the worm casts just on it's own.. fingers crossed i get a reply and some good news

13. #15 Chunk, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    If I had that available, I would buy a bag and call it a day. That is a nice looking product there. You Brits are light years ahead of us Yanks on the whole comfrey deal:D

EDIT: The Agra Feed, since OP edited in more links.

Chunk

14. #16 w89, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    As far as my amendments go so far these are by far the best products I've found for what i need. What do you guys think?

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/Soi...-FREE-TOMATO-FERTILISER-4kg/product_info.html

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/Soi...p450/CHASE-SEAWEED-MEAL-5kg/product_info.html

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/Soi...460/ALFALFA-PLUS-FERTILISER/product_info.html or just this on it's own as I have seaweed http://www.millbryhill.co.uk/equest...orse-feed-593/dengie-alfalfa-pellets-2029.htm

Natural Neem Organic Fertilizer

ROCK DUST (SEERS) 3kg ORGANIC FERTILISER (MIX & MATCH MULTI-BUYS) | eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5kg-Hor...tem27bc9936c2&clk_rvr_id=408466645285&afsrc=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolomite-...tem230b83d3c1&clk_rvr_id=408470929821&afsrc=1

I will be making my own crab/lobster meal from blending up the shells

For my Humus I will be buying Worm Castings until i become self sufficient with my own Worm Farm.

I will also probably just buy an organic base soil until my Compost Bin is ready hopefully in the spring.

I will use PERLITE, COCO CHIPS, PEAT, too as
    Please tell me what you think so far. Do I need all these products to make a superior mix? would you use some of the products and not others please tell me so far I think these are the best I've come across

15. cheers ive already got those root grow for my previous grows but after reading the thread on here about the only good ones for weed are endos and the ones in that pactet are ecto for trees and shubs...

16. W89, what is your final list?

J

17. Its not my final list no, it's just a list I've compiled over the last couple of weeks of items I think are my best bet to go for, after taking peoples advice and reading lots of threads. Its why I have asked a few people to chime in on this thread to help me decide if this is the best way to go once I am confident it is I will then purchase my ingredients to make my soil. So please if you have anything to offer me in terms of what else or what not to get please do, I know you know what your talking about so respect what you have to say