Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Please help me settle an argument I'm having with my pothead dad

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by boep74, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Hey everyone,

So I was just hoping to get some fact supported reasons on why you think smoking bud ground up vs. torn apart is the best way to do it. My dad has been smoking loooooong before I was born and is a seasoned pro (at least in his head) about all things weed. He's trying to argue with me that grinding your weed up is worse because the tiny weed particles burn too quickly for you to get much out of it. He's been arguing that simply tearing off tiny buds by hand is the best way to do it. I on the other hand feel like grinding it up not only helps it last longer, but also makes the herb burn more uniformly and lowers ash amount.

So, which of us are right? Or is it a little bit of both? I'm honestly convinced that he's just stuck in the past here but if he's actually right then I want to know so I save myself the time and effort of grinding it all up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. A grinder isnt necessary, I haven't used one in over 10 years until I got another just a few weeks ago. Grinding it helps it burn more evenly, also has the added benefit of collecting kief. It's really a matter of preference honestly.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. I also heard that fire from a Bic lighter is so much better than fire from matches.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ground up weed seems to work well in joints, but it seems to burn rather quickly in a bowl, if ground up...so I suppose both ways have merits.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Personal preference, just smoke up with your pops and have a chill night :bongin:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  6. This is true, you can taste a match

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Using your hands to break up your Herb is better just like the Herbs used to cook, you can not only make it the size you can roll but it releases the flavor by hand better. I had a nice grinder, I gave it away. been using a long time and doing it with your hands is a better tasting,and it smokes better. I can tell the taste difference is better when you use your hands. I also noticed that a joint will run off with my grinder and believe Trichomes stay in the grinder.
    But that is your Preference to what you want to do really, if you like the Grinder Use it when it is your burn and let the old man do it his way.
    Just have fun no matter what your smoking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. I only grind it up if I am rolling a J
    If I am smoking out of a pipe I take the bud and tear it into a few pieces and stuff it in the bowl. If I have buds small enough to fit in the bowl, I just take the small bud and put it in the bowl. I don't notice any difference at all other than I don't like it when the J gets full of resin cause I don't like the taste. I've started to not put very much in one end.

9. Im with your old man,i smoke weed over 20 years and i use grinder but tearing it appart with my fingers is so much better

10. The bud I smoke would be a waste using my fingers. I would have to extract the thc that sticks to my fingers afterwards.

I judge good weed by grinding a bud up with two fingers, if I can't light a bic lighter because of the stickyness, it passes my test.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ditto.
    if your fingers are sticky after breaking it up, the trichomes (resin glands) are sticking to your fingers... that's the stuff that gets us high and is useless stuck to your fingers.
    personally, i use small scissors... the duck kind with non-stick coating for use on sticky tapes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. You sound stubborn ..either way is fine..miniscule

• Like Like x 1
  13. I don't use my fingers. I said if I did use my fingers I would have to extract the trichomes off my fingers.

This is a 5 gram bud. Some people have buds this size that weigh out to a gram. It is impossible to grind this up with your fingers. This is also the grinder that I use. If I did not use this grinder I would be wasting an hour a day scissoring or breaking it up with my hands.

Attached Files:

14. you are right. Breaking off chuncks of bud is a waste of weed and money. Tearing it up by hand destroys the kief, as where a grinder catches and preserves it.

15. lol butane vs. sulphur....which is more healthy?

16. All my grinders end up on that raw rolling tray.

17. Did you say you'd spend an hour a day scissoring?

18. that does not look like a 5 gram bud.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Eh ..close enough

Attached Files:

20. i was agreeing with you and providing my two cents to the OP.
    sorry for the confusion.

• Like Like x 1